Author Topic: 'Mexicola Grande' Avocado ripening questions . . .  (Read 426 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
'Mexicola Grande' Avocado ripening questions . . .
« on: July 04, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
MOVED HERE TO PROPER GROUP TO GET MORE DISCUSSION . . . . .
(Sorry to have first posted this on FS & WTB)

'Mexicola Grande' Avocado ripening questions . . .

My 'Mexicola Grande' has set a couple dozen little fruit this season finally after two abortive years.  Tree is about 16-ft tall after 3.5 years in the ground.  Tree will get pruned back to about 8- to 10-ft after this first little crop ripens and is picked.

We are getting plenty of rain right now in Tampa where I am but that is now and not in Sept-Oct when 'Mexicola Grande' fruits are supposed to start ripening. At that time there may be more or less rain when the fruit starts to ripen.

So, since this is my first crop on this avocado what I would like to know from those of you growing MG here in west central Florida is:

1]  If it is rainy still when they start to ripen will that diminish their flavor in some way?

2]  Will this 1st-time crop (with the stated size of the tree) be more or less representative of the way this fruit should taste moving forward to subsequent years' crops?  I.e., should I expect the flavor to improve over the following years?

3]  When should I expect these 'Mexicola Grande' to usually start to ripen here in Tampa?  Anyone growing it in this area care to comment on this point?  When do yours ripen?

OK — TIA

Paul M.
==

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: 'Mexicola Grande' Avocado ripening questions . . .
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 12:38:53 PM »
https://www.myavocadotrees.com/mexicola-grande-avocado.htm
My suggestion is that once you see fruit changing color from green to black once they reach 75% of color they should be ok to pick
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk