Author Topic: californian cherimoya  (Read 2616 times)

albert84

• france
    • View Profile
Re: californian cherimoya
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2021, 11:05:34 AM »
Yes, it takes some months for a fruit to fully develop. You'll want to pollinate them ASAP with your shorter  growing season, I would try them all season long and then pick and choose how many to keep into winter.

I do not see much difference between my cherimoyas for flowering, all the same. Atemoya however is later.

Seed count has much to do with how much pollen you use. If you use a lot and they all hit home on the female part of the flower more seeds. You want the minimum amount of flower to ensure fewer seeds.

I would pick el bumpo, of those varieties. Other people can chime in if I'm wrong!

thank you again for your answer.

-first a link which could be interesting for cherimoya lovers like us :

https://www.csic.es/sites/default/files/leaflet-aj-038-2019-08-22.pdf

in spain they now produce a new variety of cherimoya called "alboran". this variety is supposed to give good fruits even during winter months. I don't know if it's right or wrong with 9b weather, but I eated an alboran last winter (january) from spain (area of malaga, subtropical weather) and it was the goodest cherimoya I have ever eated : better taste than fino de jete, more sugar than fino de jete and much less seeds than fino de jete (only I would say 6 or 7 seeds). if someone is interested with this variety, I can tell you one french nursery which sell grafted alboran. I plan to grow few alboran in my greenhouse.

-I read that you grow atermoya in your 9b weather, I am right ? whith atermoya you have good fruits from which month to which month ? do you have better fruits in winter with atemoya than with cherimoya ? I was thinking atemoya need weather more hoter than cherimoya.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 03:54:45 AM by albert84 »

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2021, 01:54:46 PM »
Cherimoya are grown outdoor in my area of CA coast.  It’s rarely over a 100f and rarely under 40f but does get down the upper 20’s low 30’s on occasion.  Not sure of the damage it does but local farmers seem to have crops available every year.  Sounds like it will be possible.

albert84

• france
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 04:36:18 AM »
hello, your weather is hoter than mine in winter. for me it's only possible in greenhouse.

albert84

• france
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2021, 04:42:33 AM »
Atemoya however is later.

I understand that you grow atermoya in your 9B weather. I was thinking atermoya need more heat in winter than cherimoya.

-do you succeed to grow goods aternoya fruits ? if yes, you have goods aternoya fruits from which month to which month ?

-are aternoya fruits better or less good than cherimoya during winter ?

thank again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk