Author Topic: My coastal southern California garden  (Read 3442 times)

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
My coastal southern California garden
« on: November 29, 2021, 10:02:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

I’d like to share with you the beauty and abundance even a small garden can provide.
I live in a cool microclimate in Southern California.  I’m a couple of blocks from the ocean and at the base of our local hills, so my garden can be foggy many months of the year with summer highs in the low 80s.  This year has been especially cool with highs only in the upper 60s until July and only a handful of days in the 80s.  My total outdoor space is about 4,000 square feet and my native soil is heavy clay.

This is the right side of my front yard.  Tropic Snow and Midpride peaches bloom early February.  Loquat, kumquat, lemon, Surinam cherry, plum, mandarin, grape, and persimmon.

Red Baron peach blooms late February

Garden Prince almond is self fertile and has a soft shell

Marcona almond blossoms are huge and smell like honey.  It grows next to Tuono, an Italian variety, for pollination.

Hood pear is self fertile and blooms late January.  Blossoms do not smell good, kinda fishy

JCorte

• View Profile
Re: My coastal southern California garden
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 10:18:52 PM »
Glenn mango tree, about 12 years old, in the left corner of front yard with pineapple guava, dragonfruit, clementine, and pomegranate.

Glenn ripens in October, really fragrant.  Mine do not have the peach taste in variety descriptions, it has a slight coconut taste and is super sweet.  Fruit punch fruited on one year grafts, still not ripe.

This papaya was sold as Hawaiian Solo, which it is not.  It struggled for a couple years, but finally setting fruit.

Yellow grumichama

Variegated Namwah, has anyone tasted this banana?

Paggi I got from Bestday, excited to have this one.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:27:09 PM »
Look great!

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 10:29:23 PM »
Southmoon blueberry, artichoke, lettuce going to seed under my persimmon tree

Going from front to side of house

16 year old Flavor King pluot, circumference at base of the tree is 36 inches, orchids growing on the branches

Training dragonfruit on the trunk of Santa Rosa plum and Red Baron peach

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 10:34:59 PM »
16 year old avocado trees, Don Gillogly and Sir Prize

Under Don Gillogly (you can see trunk behind maple tree pot) are tillandsias on top of a thick layer of mulch.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 10:43:49 PM »
Frederick passion fruit vine is about 18 years old.  The base of the vine has mostly rotted, but still produced this year. Not sure how much longer it can continue.  This vine has been effortless to grow and has produced thousands of fruit over the years.

Path down the side of the house, nectarines, figs, plum, pluots, lime, apricot, apple

Front yard left side

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 10:48:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Janet.  Bee-you-tee-ful!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:54:36 AM by johnb51 »
John

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 10:55:22 PM »
Arctic Star nectarine

Seeding selection of Romanesco artichoke

Mulberry

Lots of insects, butterflies, and birds in the yard.  I grow milkweed for the Monarchs, other caterpillars eat parsley, fennel, and young citrus leaves.  I was surprised to find a swallowtail caterpillar eating ashitaba.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 11:34:22 PM »
The Red Baron peach blooms and variegated Namwah leaves are stunning!  What a beautiful space. I got a good chuckle from your ancient passion vine. Who says they only last 5 years. 

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 12:02:26 AM »
Impressive! Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 12:30:30 AM »
That is a very beautiful variegated Namwah.  Namwah is one of the most popular varieties in Southeast Asia.  The flesh stays firm when even over ripe and the green unripe banana can be cooked like plantains.  They come in dwarf and regular size. Which is your variegate?  I had grown a few different variegates  bananas in the past. The Namwah should be a bit hardier and vigorous than say an AeAe.  There seems to be more occurence with variegated mutation than say other varieties out there for some reason although still very rare.  I had a yellow variegated variety but it definitely is not as stunning as the specimen you had.  Awesome yard and collection!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 03:41:38 AM »
Janet, you have a beautiful yard full of amazing fruit trees and plants.
I like your photos, you must be a photographer since the photo quality is excellent and can be used in a magazine.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 09:09:53 AM »
We are in awe here in South Florida, looking at your lush Californian garden, Janet. We thought there will be all agaves and cacti, lol, but you managed to create a truly tropical look in a place where it's the hardest! Kudos! Do you have an irrigation system? All the moist-loving plants look so happy. I wish one day our garden looks like this :) natural but perfect. Ours grows too many weeds, and plants overgrow in a blink of an eye :) I will send you some anthuriums that my wife grew from her own seed, they are exciting because she cross-pollinated several bird nest species, so they all look different. they will feel happy next to all your tillandsias and other bromeliads :)

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 09:11:34 AM »
Also, would love to see a tutorial on amending heavy clay soil to create this abundance. Thank you in advance :)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 11:32:26 AM »
Your yard is stunning!  I really like the diversity.  Good luck with the Paggi.

Bill

dmwong93

• Father Fruit
    • USA, Southern CA, Zone 10b, E. Anaheim
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 11:35:47 AM »
Impressive looking garden. Where did you acquire the Yellow Grumichama? Thanks.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
I'm very fond of Laguna Beach and spent countless days skateboarding down the hills there. You've got a lovely spot in a lovely city!

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 12:59:19 PM »
Beautiful thanks!
Shane

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 01:41:44 PM »
A really stunning little sanctuary.

As truly impressive as your tropical efforts are - I was also really struck by your success with your stone fruit - the Midpride and Arctic. I was raised just up the road a piece in San Pedro and always assumed that between the lack of winter chill and the lack of real spring/summer heat, those would be an uphill battle.

Just fantastic.

Cheers,
Chris

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 06:12:07 PM »
Thank you everyone!

Eggo, not sure if it’s dwarf or tall variegated.  I planted AeAe years ago, but it lost its variegation and died.  I have the regular dwarf Namwah and love it.  It produces delicious bananas even though it only gets morning sun.  I’m hoping the variegated Namwah will produce similar fruit.

Dmwong93, I got my yellow grumichama from Flying Fox Fruits.

JCorte

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 06:27:49 PM »
Satya,  from what I’ve seen in your videos, your garden is beautiful and inspiring!  I can’t take all the credit for the lushness in mine.  Even with less than 5 inches of rain all year, because of the cooler weather I’ve only had to water the mature plants about once a month, I don’t have an irrigation system.  The mist and fog provide extra moisture.  The plants are efficient at harvesting water from the air.  Here’s a Paggi leaf wet from last night’s fog.

Also, my soil is really good now and holds moisture as long as it’s covered.  I let all the flowers, which are mostly bulbs, the greens, artichokes, etc die back naturally early summer during our dry season.  They come back on their own and seeds sprout when the fall rains start.  I have weeds too, I like to think of them as living mulch.  Maybe if I had summer rains I would think differently.

Janet

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 07:44:50 PM »
Amazing garden Janet, I use to body surf and surf down that way when I was a teen many many years ago.
Very cool how do you like Don Gillogly we love it up here for us on Central Coast of Ca. 8)

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2021, 09:54:21 PM »
Satya,  from what I’ve seen in your videos, your garden is beautiful and inspiring!  I can’t take all the credit for the lushness in mine.  Even with less than 5 inches of rain all year, because of the cooler weather I’ve only had to water the mature plants about once a month, I don’t have an irrigation system.  The mist and fog provide extra moisture.  The plants are efficient at harvesting water from the air.  Here’s a Paggi leaf wet from last night’s fog.

Also, my soil is really good now and holds moisture as long as it’s covered.  I let all the flowers, which are mostly bulbs, the greens, artichokes, etc die back naturally early summer during our dry season.  They come back on their own and seeds sprout when the fall rains start.  I have weeds too, I like to think of them as living mulch.  Maybe if I had summer rains I would think differently.

Janet
Thank you, Janet!

Our volunteer weeds are taller than the plants we plant:) some of them are edible like callaloo, so we just weed paths for lunch:) but when they're for example in butterfly garden where we don't walk, it's very upsetting because the flowers are totally hidden by them. Some of them overgrow tomato cages, so you get the scale. they help with soil moisture and for the most part look nice and dark green, but sometimes it gets hard to walk in between))) so we try to establish more aggressive, nicer looking low growing ground covers that make weeds miraculously disappear. Has been hard this summer because it was very hot and dry, and our ground covers didn't like that, but weeds did 🤪 :o [size=78%].[/size] One of the most annoying ones is wild cucumber, it crawls everywhere and covers flowers, trees, bushes and all trellises, drops seed very fast so it's almost a neverending battle, though it also produces edible fruit. It covered a tree completely and a neighbor said, "this tree with yellow flowers has become so beautiful" (the tree it covered doesn't bloom) 😂
Finally were able to eliminate a terroristic torpedo grass, that was a really aggressive grower so it was not possible to incorporate as it would intimidate all plants around it. We heard from farmers that they're ok with torpedo grass, but when you have a meter and a half of real estate it doesn't work this way... every inch is precious. Maybe on the farm we won't care if torpedo grass gets rampant :)
We use all the weeds and seasonal plant foliage in compost or direct mulch. Millipede activity is such that barely any organic matter is left for the next season, seeds included. We had to bring in an extra pile of soil, and it had fresh wood chips mixed in. Didn't distribute it in time, and after 4-5 months the soil is just "black gold", absolutely no chips left, only millipedes everywhere 😆

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 10:28:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing pics of your wonderful garden. Looks like the perfect place for a morning stroll with a warm cup of hot chocolate or coffee :) Your mangos look amazing, great job, what rootstock are they on? I’m also curious on the spacing of your larger trees? Cheers Janet!
Nate

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 02:00:12 AM »
Beautiful garden!  I also found it to be a much cooler summer than usual in coastal CA.  Probably the coolest in ten years.  Despite what what the records say it was way off the actual temps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk