Author Topic: Help picking M4  (Read 556 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Help picking M4
« on: May 16, 2022, 08:08:56 PM »
Any tips on picking M4? Average size of the fruit? I've got my first few this year. Thanks!

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: Help picking M4
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 08:57:33 PM »
Way early here so memory & just IMO from past 2 yrs on 2 trees only.

Fruit stays green to a hint of lightening even when ripe.
Gently compress the fruit when you think it may be ripe and if softness/depressed area pick it.
Often the fruit falls off the tree and is usually a little soft give.

Once you are successful in picking a few ripe or picking them up when they fall off and they taste good, the others follow and all becomes easier in identifying which ones can be picked firmer and will ripen at room temperature.

I usually take the fruit inside and let it sit a few days. I believe it turns from a pineapple taste to more of a coconut taste the longer you wait.... Until it rots... (eat a little away from the rot and often you will get some good taste)
I also like to transfer them into the refrigerator after a few days inside the house to let them stay cool and sort of shrink/shrivel/get more concentrated .... Once again, coconut taste seems to strengthen and pineapple tastes lessens_

Forgot, skin is very thick/ very protective. Thickest skin I remember on a mango, sort of like cowhide as easy to pull off without tearing and of course eat the inner portion next to the skin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 09:08:10 PM by palmcity »

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Re: Help picking M4
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 08:27:54 PM »
Thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk