Author Topic: Sexing Garcinia livingstonei . . . .  (Read 1177 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Sexing Garcinia livingstonei . . . .
« on: May 17, 2022, 10:50:04 PM »
Can someone refer me to a source show me how to sex Imbe, please?

I have a number of seedlings whch have taken several years to start growing after I received them and planted them.  Now that they are finally growing they will soon need to be planted up or put into the ground.

Having read somewhere that G. livingstonei is dioecious I'd like to pair up for planting together whichever ones are male and female Imbe seedlings for better cropping, ultimately.

So, can someone please point me in the right direction to help me understand how to tell the difference between the sexes with Imbe?

Regards,

Paul M.
==

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Sexing Garcinia livingstonei . . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 10:53:44 PM »
If I remember correctly, Bobby B. hypothesizes in a truly tropical video that the male trees have more pointed leaves and the female leaves are more round.

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 12:53:11 AM »
I've had several seedlings, one that I gave to a friend set fruit on it's own, there were no other plants within many miles. My Imbes in the ground are a female and a male. I cit the male way back and also grafted males onto the female. I haven't heard of the leaf shape in determining the sex. The flowers look different. The female has a sort of round part and the male has a bunch of anthers coming out.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 01:32:47 AM »
If I remember correctly, Bobby B. hypothesizes in a truly tropical video that the male trees have more pointed leaves and the female leaves are more round.

You remember correctly. He does indeed say that. Considering the size and scope of his Garcinia collection, I certainly trust his expertise on the matter. It means that I have a male Imbe. Of course, even with one plant I (or anyone else with only a male plant) could get lucky and get some fruit. Adam Shafran has only one Imbe, a male, that also produces a small number of female flowers. If I remember correctly from one of his many videos, he talked about how it is common for male Imbes to produce a small number of female flowers but that female plants never produce male flowers.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 02:24:55 PM »

You remember correctly. He does indeed say that. Considering the size and scope of his Garcinia collection, I certainly trust his expertise on the matter. It means that I have a male Imbe. Of course, even with one plant I (or anyone else with only a male plant) could get lucky and get some fruit. Adam Shafran has only one Imbe, a male, that also produces a small number of female flowers. If I remember correctly from one of his many videos, he talked about how it is common for male Imbes to produce a small number of female flowers but that female plants never produce male flowers.

Will the females still set fruit with no male pollination?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 03:43:06 PM »
Supposedly there is a hermaphrodite type (I bought a pair from somebody on the forum here recently).  I don't know a whole lot about it but the brief reading I did suggested they will produce a light crop on their own but not as much as a female w/ pollinator.  I have some small un-sexed seedlings so I guess I will keep them all around until they can be sexed.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 04:30:18 PM »

I am curious to see this video, do you have a link?

I have few large seedlings, it would be good to compare. I am seeing mix of leaves some are slimmer than others and some more pointed within the same tree/trees:

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 04:36:24 PM »

I have few large seedlings, it would be good to compare. I am seeing mix of leaves some are slimmer than others and some more pointed within the same tree/trees:

Here ya go https://youtu.be/Q24D9IYOV3E?t=681

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 04:44:46 PM »

Here ya go https://youtu.be/Q24D9IYOV3E?t=681

Thanks, Is this confirmed? I ask because most of my trees seem to have both types in one as you can see in some of the pictures I posted .. 

Check this one as example:

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 05:59:55 PM »
Is it just me, or are a lot of threads being posted in the wrong part of the forum?
Anyways...I think the best way to ID them would be using genetic sequencing. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools needed for that. Might cost some $. But again, I'd rather have a positive ID than to wait 5 years until flowering.
Or better yet, just source male and female scions and graft. Grafting garcinias ain't that hard. Although I still need to do more :P

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 06:13:42 PM »
I am growing out a good amount of imbe to try out as roostock down the line.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 06:34:23 PM »
Is it just me, or are a lot of threads being posted in the wrong part of the forum?

I have noticed this lately, as well. Mostly with threads that should be in the Tropical Fruit Discussion area being placed in Tropical Fruit Buy, Sell & Trade. I have not had any reason to start a new thread recently, so I do not know if some sort of site error is occurring or whether people are just putting things in the wrong area by mistake.

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 06:35:22 PM »
big tech trying to stifle discourse yet again /s

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 01:19:35 AM »
I have noticed this lately, as well. Mostly with threads that should be in the Tropical Fruit Discussion area being placed in Tropical Fruit Buy, Sell & Trade. I have not had any reason to start a new thread recently, so I do not know if some sort of site error is occurring or whether people are just putting things in the wrong area by mistake.

Mea culpa, W. After all I'm only human. 

But I've already asked the Mods to move this topic which I started in the FS/WTB forum in error over to the discussion forum where it belongs.   
[Thanx, Mods, for relocating this topic.]

Meanwhile, I am pleased with the helpful responses to this Imbe leaf shape vs sex query.

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 02:30:31 PM by Epicatt2 »