Author Topic: Which mango variety do you recommend me for this case?  (Read 862 times)

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
Which mango variety do you recommend me for this case?
« on: May 18, 2022, 03:35:15 PM »
I'm looking for a mango tree with a dense canopy, which can grow in "air space" as much as it wants, but roots are somewhat constrained, as it would be planted about one meter from the walls.
Assuming a rectangle, it would be on the top right corner.

It has to be fiberless and sweet.

Which variety do you recommend me? So far, in near nurseries I have spotted Van Dyke, Lippens, Kent, Keitt, Haden, Valencia Pride, Manzanillo, Osteen, and Torbert.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Which mango variety do you recommend me for this case?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 04:45:04 PM »
Any mango you are finding in nurseries in Florida is likely to be grafted. In which event the root growth characteristics will be similar to the rootstock. The one most used in Florida is Turpentine. That said, Mangoes generally have favorable root growth for your situation, which is that they grow downward more than outward which means they can support a tall-growing tree with a constrained root system, though they do tend to mirror the canopy shape beneath the soil.

With your needs in mind, the selection should be of a mango fiberless, sweet, and with a dense canopy.

Pretty much all of the varieties listed have fallen out of favor with the introduction of newer selections by the Zill family and importations of new varieties from abroad, not to mention that there are new diseases which often wipe out the crop of some of the varieties listed.

If you're looking for a resource with many cultivars and how they do in south Florida, www.tropicalacresfarms.com has many listed with pretty detailed descriptions.

But given your requirements, you need not look any further than Edward.

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 09:41:21 AM »
Pickering or Fairchild for small space.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 04:41:35 AM »
I'm looking for a mango tree with a dense canopy, which can grow in "air space" as much as it wants, but roots are somewhat constrained, as it would be planted about one meter from the walls.
Assuming a rectangle, it would be on the top right corner.

It has to be fiberless and sweet.

Which variety do you recommend me? So far, in near nurseries I have spotted Van Dyke, Lippens, Kent, Keitt, Haden, Valencia Pride, Manzanillo, Osteen, and Torbert.
Forget your list, get a Peach Cobbler or Sweet Tart

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 11:55:43 PM »
I Vote Pickering.
Small tree
Pretty tree
Precocious
Blooms full even on warm winters
Great fruit set
8/10 flavor and no fiber
Nice classic mango flavor with a teeny tiny bit of coconut

Order a tree from tropicalacresfarms you can call Alex direct first if you want.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 12:03:24 PM »
Pickering sounds like a good option, and Edward is a very good mango. Don't know as much about growth habit of Edward, but solid mango and seems to produce well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk