Author Topic: question about grafting  (Read 693 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
question about grafting
« on: June 10, 2022, 03:15:58 PM »
A couple weeks ago I grafted a couple Cac mangos
I covered each one with a plastic bag
I took the bags off today and watered them and placed the bags
back over them
How long do you keep the bags on?
thanks

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: question about grafting
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 04:28:53 PM »
Are you talking about complete bags or little bags over the Scion and graft?
I do the later and leave pieces of leaves in the scion and bag the scion and graft. I use an orchid clip on the bag to make it easy to open because at some point the section of leaves left on the scion will fall and I like to remove them and reseal.  I let the scion push new growth (1/2-1 inch) then open the gag and leave it on for a day or two so the new leaves keep pushing. Remove the bag.   These I keep at 1/3 sun light. Very high success rate.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 07:29:41 PM »
the 2 rootstock I had were in 1 gallon pots and I put a clear produce bag over the whiole rootstock
and taped off bag at the top of the pot. Its very wet inside the plastic bag

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 07:57:27 PM »
I think they just tie bag on the rootstock stem, not enclosing the soil inside the bag. The idea is to not lose moisture but also to not let rain or too much water lay on the scion and graft union.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 01:31:13 AM »
Are the grafts covered in grafting tape?  If yes, ditch the bags, its not helping anything.
Brad Spaugh

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 09:45:18 AM »
I'm *very* leery of completely covering anything with a bag (especially one that lets the light in). You create an ideal environment for mold & rot here in Florida; moisture can't evaporate and you have no airflow. My first year of mango obsession I followed the advice for starting mango seeds on a webpage written by someone who lived out West (not on here/TFF); they instructed that you cover each pot with clear kitchen wrap and a rubberband to keep it on tight. I started probably 3 dozen freshly harvested turpentine seeds, after three weeks of nothing, I pulled the plastic off and discovered each seed at some stage of rot. A few weren't completely rotted, I cleaned them and replanted without covering and each sprouted.

I use parafilm/buddy tape and a few clothespins on the graft union now, no covering beyond that. I do agree it's probably helpful to protect/shade the graft itself during these hottest months with the most intense sun, but I usually just move the pot into partial shade or rotate it. Obviously, you need to expose the new growth to direct sunlight gradually (if it was shaded). Direct morning sun is ideal, then after a week or so I'll move it to a more sunny location. You'll risk sunburning the leaves if you don't put a little thought into how you do it.

One counter observation to all the extra care, on in-ground trees with grafts in direct/full sun, I treat grafts the exact same (tape & clothespin) and never had a problem with takes or burns.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 10:40:07 AM by JakeFruit »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 10:07:11 AM »
Bags are bad here, and trap moisture and heat in. Killed a few grafts overdoing it with bags.