Author Topic: GuavaKing on ebay - Scam?  (Read 4467 times)

vrk3

• San Jose
    • View Profile
Re: GuavaKing on ebay - Scam?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2022, 06:23:41 PM »
I am not saying they are a scammer. My point is that in a world where there are so many scammers out there, I would like to only buy it from trusted sources who have a great reputation, especially when I am paying an exorbitant price. Imagine investing time / money and finding out 2 years later that you were conned. Who wants to go through that? The best you can do is to reduce the probability of having such an experience.
As such the seller looks sketchy and the feedback from the forum members here further confirms my suspicion. (some members may have had good experience, sure, but doesn't make up for the doubts others have raised).

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2022, 09:06:44 PM »
$399 for this small plant is outrageous - https://www.ebay.com/itm/115404422672?hash=item1adea3be10:g:LKQAAOSwbC5hcaTj
Not to mention that most of the photos are from the internet. What bothers me the most is that he doesn't have a single fruit photo of their own. At this price, and not being a well known nursery, I would stay away from such seller.

They're in Central FL Apopka? Someone must be bound to know more? Here's their FL SunBiz listing, currently inactive used to be in Miami: https://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/corporationsearch/SearchResultDetail?inquirytype=EntityName&directionType=ForwardList&searchNameOrder=GUAVAKING%20P200000927500&aggregateId=domp-p20000092750-f62fa21f-ba19-46b6-b183-9168e8f38152

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2022, 01:05:56 AM »
I left it in a pot for 2 years before planting.  Didn't know where I wanted it, then I had a tree that was in afternoon AZ sun, and I knew guava could take the heat.  So I planted it last September.  Also, I think I was underwater ing and underfertilizing the tree.  So, he is stillsection in the benefit of the doubt section.  He'll fall out next summer if no fruit, lol.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2022, 07:29:51 PM »
You only have sixty days to leave feedback on eBay. That is enough time to ascertain whether a plant is healthy, pest free, and matches what was in the photos. It is not enough time to determine whether the plant is the right variety, at least if the only way to judge is by its fruit. What those eBay feedbacks say is that GuavaKing sent customers a healthy mango, guava, or sapodilla of some kind, though not necessarily a Chaunsa, Mexican Cream, or Butterscotch. He very well could be selling grafted or mature cutting-grown plants from some of the rarest, most desirable varieties of mangos, guavas, and sapodillas. There is evidence that, in the past, on many occasions, he has not done so and has gotten away with not doing so. Weigh those facts and make your own decision about whether to purchase anything from GuavaKing. But, on this issue, I believe one should keep at the fore of one's mind caveat emptor.

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2022, 07:05:29 PM »
Well, I'll be glad to answer your question in 2 or so months. I purchased a Pakistani guava from him last year which is supposed to have yellow fruit with red spots. I currently have 4 fruits on the tree the size of a small lime. Let's see if they have the color they are supposed to.... stay tuned!

fruitqueen

• USA, Florida, Fort Myers, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2022, 03:50:39 PM »
I have bought and fruited 5 plants from him,
The giant indian pink was correct

The purple one is a seedling fruit

Crunchy pink was correct but much smaller fruit than advertised. could be environmental. had very small soft seeds which is nice

Lakarna was not correct, I was given another named cultivar he had for sale at the time "giant pink" which is also a decent fresh eating cv but not what i was paying for.

Allahabad has a few more days to ripen, they have the right shape so far

i picked them up from him in person
he was receptive to the mistake at first (i bought the trees in december)
and told me he would send a Lakarna
but its been weeks and several follow ups with nothing.

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2022, 08:56:03 PM »
I have bought and fruited 5 plants from him,
The giant indian pink was correct
That's worrisome because lakarna is the one I believe I bought from him as well. Supposed to be yellow with red dots. We'll see.
The purple one is a seedling fruit

Crunchy pink was correct but much smaller fruit than advertised. could be environmental. had very small soft seeds which is nice

Lakarna was not correct, I was given another named cultivar he had for sale at the time "giant pink" which is also a decent fresh eating cv but not what i was paying for.

Allahabad has a few more days to ripen, they have the right shape so far

i picked them up from him in person
he was receptive to the mistake at first (i bought the trees in december)
and told me he would send a Lakarna
but its been weeks and several follow ups with nothing.

chrisafix23

• Roseville, California Zones 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2022, 11:52:34 AM »
Fruit Queen, are the fruits you’ve had from his plants sweet? I bought a Mexican cream from him and the description says ‘extremely’ sweet. It says that for most of his cultivars I think.

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2022, 06:58:04 PM »
Confirmed, guava king is a scammer!!!! My fruit finally dropped from ripening. No red spots on the fruit like in 100% of his photos..... what a loser

fruitqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2022, 08:14:44 PM »
Confirmed, guava king is a scammer!!!! My fruit finally dropped from ripening. No red spots on the fruit like in 100% of his photos..... what a loser

forgive me as im still getting used to the forum formatting lol.
is the inside of this one pink? it looks similar to what i was also sold as "lakarna"

fruitqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2022, 10:53:34 PM »
Fruit Queen, are the fruits you’ve had from his plants sweet? I bought a Mexican cream from him and the description says ‘extremely’ sweet. It says that for most of his cultivars I think.

they are all pretty good but the purple one is missing the distinct aroma i expect from that color fruit

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2022, 11:51:17 PM »
Between my friend and me, we purchased total of 11 trees from him in the past. Only 1 is true to the variety, Malika mango. Either he is very confused, or he did deceive buyers.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2022, 02:08:42 PM »
I will be able to report on my purchase from him maybe next year, but i would not ever buy anything else from him due to so many mismatched varieties.
It looks like he lists all hard to find varieties knowing people will pay big money for them....
Ana
Ana

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2022, 03:07:03 PM »

forgive me as im still getting used to the forum formatting lol.
is the inside of this one pink? it looks similar to what i was also sold as "lakarna"
Yes, it had a pink inside. He is not confused, he is straight up scamming people. I'm going to email him later today and tell him to make this right.....

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2022, 04:19:24 PM »
I just submitted an email via his website. Let's see how he responds...
Alex

fruitqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2022, 04:09:09 PM »
he has been telling me for weeks he will send me correct tree - good luck.

fruitqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2022, 09:49:29 AM »
I ended up just telling him I was reporting him to the state nursery board, BBB and will be sharing my experience through various fruit growing organizations that I run and participate in.

i suggest everyone else do the same

reminder that this guy was bold enough to scam me in person! lol

TropicalPlants

• FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2023, 03:18:02 PM »
Anyone bought Chaunsha and Langra variety mango from Guavaking? Should I buy mango tree from them? Their price is very expensive and not sure they will deliver the correct Variety? Appreciate, anyone can share their experience who bought these mango varieties from them before. Thank you.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2023, 06:18:12 PM »
Anyone bought Chaunsha and Langra variety mango from Guavaking? Should I buy mango tree from them? Their price is very expensive and not sure they will deliver the correct Variety? Appreciate, anyone can share their experience who bought these mango varieties from them before. Thank you.

My friend did. Both were fake. They turned to be Bombay.Try to ask Alex at Tropical Acres Farm if he has those.