Author Topic: GuavaKing on ebay - Scam?  (Read 4458 times)

ChaunsaEnthusiast

• FL
    • View Profile
GuavaKing on ebay - Scam?
« on: June 25, 2022, 11:17:41 AM »
Hello everyone,

Would really like an updated discussion on this and hopefully take some collective action. I came across several old posts on the forum indicating that this guy is a scammer (https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=46827.0 and https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=26564.0). However some of the new ones seem happy with the fruits they got from this guy: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=44540.0

GuavaKing seems to be still operating with near perfect reviews on ebay and his site:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/guavaking
https://www.guavaking.com/product-page/indian-pakstani-mango-tree-chaunsa-mango-grafted-the-best-mango-in-the-world
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdu0FAmbMKH_DaGmBOlPACg/videos

So what is the latest verdict on this guy? Is he a scammer or perhaps did scam in the past and has real indian/pakistani mangoes now? Why are his ratings still so high? What can we do if we got scammed?

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
Re: GuavaKing on ebay - Scam?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 11:55:16 AM »
I bought an airlayered tree from his etsy shop this year. Tree is smaller than on the picture, needed some careful care for a while, very expensive for that kind of value, but not a scam..
Ana
Ana

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 12:08:02 PM »
In the past, I almost bought some guava from him.  I decided not to because I did not want to deal with USDA issue.

We should give credit to those who try to distribute tropical fruit trees. If you has issue with his item, try to resolve with him first before declare it as a scam.  That is just my 1 cent.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 12:19:03 PM »
I bought a few of his guava trees before reading the posts on the forum questioning the authenticity of the cultivars.  Not sure yet if they are true, only had a few fruit last year, but the ones I tasted were promising for first fruits, with one being very good.  Also, the guavas are different from each other with different leaf shapes, coloring, and growth habit, so I feel confident that at least there is a variety that I will be able to choose the best from.  All the trees I got from him are growing well and are vigorous.

Janet

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 12:31:16 PM »
Most reviews on ebay would be buyers who received a decent looking tree
in a timely manner. When the tree grows up and fruits 2-4 years later and
you see the fruit then it's too late to write a poor review. I think reputation
is everything but some people don't have any integrity and making a sale is
more important. I read some of the complaints about Guava King and some of
the poeple who said it I respect. I wouldn't buy anything from that seller
based on what's been said especially something rare.
Is it airlayered or is it a seedling how can you tell?

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 12:40:55 PM »
Yeah, I haven't bought anything else since I learned of other member's experiences.  It's unfortunate but I've gotten mislabeled stuff from other sellers as well, including a prominent ebay seller from Hawaii. 

At least I have this forum with great sellers here willing to make a lot of rare genetics available.

Janet

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 12:43:50 PM »
Completely agree with "achetadomestica". There are multiple reports of people getting trees different than what was the cultivar described. Personally, I would not buy from him as I don't want to waste several years waiting for trees to fruit and then find out it is not the tree I had ordered.

For people who had good experience with him, can any one confirm that the fruit tree that they received was the cultivar ordered?

ChaunsaEnthusiast

• FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 03:47:37 PM »
Completely agree with "achetadomestica". There are multiple reports of people getting trees different than what was the cultivar described. Personally, I would not buy from him as I don't want to waste several years waiting for trees to fruit and then find out it is not the tree I had ordered.

For people who had good experience with him, can any one confirm that the fruit tree that they received was the cultivar ordered?

That is exactly my concern. And in the case of Chaunsa, it is so rare here and such high demand that the changes of fraud are extremely high. This would be beyond disappointing if after paying this rip off price and years later it turns out to be a scam.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2022, 04:18:06 PM »
I only deal with questionable sellers when there is something that is dearly sought and cannot be found elsewhere, and when willing to accept total loss of $.

ChaunsaEnthusiast

• FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 06:28:38 PM »
I only deal with questionable sellers when there is something that is dearly sought and cannot be found elsewhere, and when willing to accept total loss of $.

Yeah in this case I couldn't really find any other Chaunsa trees for sale. Is there a reputable seller that sells those?

vrk3

• San Jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 06:50:37 PM »
I think this seller is very expensive, so I decided not to go with him, but at least he is responsive.

The one I will stay away from is http://www.chfruittreenursery.com/product-category/fruit-tree/ http://tropicalbonsainursery.net/policy.html . Horrible communication, sent me a bad plant and I am in the waiting to confirm if the plant he sent is the right one (I will have to wait till it fruits :()

So far I have had good experience with https://www.etsy.com/shop/StylabBeauty which I believe is Mimosa Nursery from LA (https://www.mimosala.com/). Great collection, still expensive, but relatively cheaper than other sources and a more reliable seller from what I have heard from this forum.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 01:40:30 AM »
vrk3, the first websites/links are not good to be dealt with.  They are owned by the same person.  Bad communication, bad shiping, bad shape plant, and tiny plants.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 04:15:50 AM »
I'm really sad to see this thread. I've been following that seller for years and have been excited that they have been slowly adding new varieties. I really wanted to try the giant Indian, especially after coming across the history of it. Along with the Allahabad that they said is their sweetheart. Is there another source for giant Indian?

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 04:10:27 PM »
GuavaKing lists uncommon varieties to sell overpriced mislabeled trees. I would consider it to be a scam.

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 07:02:25 PM »
Is there another source for giant Indian?

I'm guessing the only way to ID definitely is once it fruits? I bought one 2 years ago on ebay from another seller that hasn't yet fruited. The pricing now for giant Indian is ridiculous. You're welcome to cuttings if it is one!

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2022, 11:07:24 PM »
Most reviews on ebay would be buyers who received a decent looking tree
in a timely manner. When the tree grows up and fruits 2-4 years later and
you see the fruit then it's too late to write a poor review. I think reputation
is everything but some people don't have any integrity and making a sale is
more important. I read some of the complaints about Guava King and some of
the poeple who said it I respect. I wouldn't buy anything from that seller
based on what's been said especially something rare.
Is it airlayered or is it a seedling how can you tell?

I feel like a lot of people in the business of selling plants or fruit are in it more for the money than because it's something they are truly passionate about.  Even the ones who are not scammers.  (Not that money isn't important, but still).  Things are getting really crazy now with the prices of trees and fruit.  I have only 4 more trees to add my yard and I plan to be done by October, then I'm going to focus on the smaller plants and how to save the seeds and reproduce the plants myself.  At this point growing your own food is more than a hobby.  To replicate what I'm growing with money would cost a fortune.  Not to get off topic..

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2022, 11:26:47 PM »
Is there another source for giant Indian?

I'm guessing the only way to ID definitely is once it fruits? I bought one 2 years ago on ebay from another seller that hasn't yet fruited. The pricing now for giant Indian is ridiculous. You're welcome to cuttings if it is one!

That would be great! Thank you. I'm the meantime I'll just buy some of the local plants to fill things in. There are plenty of local Nurseries with good reputation for not rare plants.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 08:40:27 AM »
They have the Chaunsa variety and sell scions you have to email for availability:
https://www.themangoplace.com/scions-2

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2022, 11:59:41 PM »
Well, I was reading on this site that you needed to buy Mexican cream guava from a reputable seller and the varieties they have at the big box stores sell trees that create poor quality fruit. 
So, I went onto guavaking on ebay and purchased an air layered mexican cream guava 3 years ago. 
Then, about a week after purchase, I read on here not to buy from guavaking.  🤦‍♂️
All I can say is that the tree is in the ground and growing quite well.  I'll give an update if it ever fruits.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 12:39:27 AM »
I bought a tree from him that will be able to confirm maybe next year. We might not like his prices or size of trees but he is not a scam. He is using the same name for at least 10 years, sells on ebay, etsy, his own website, has youtube channel and Instagram.
Ana
Ana

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 01:12:40 AM »
I have purchased 4 different guava plants from him. His price is on the mid-high side, but the plants are not the common ones you find at the box stores. One plant died, my fault, but I did get a fruit on one tree and it was a very nice fruit, small since it was first fruit but looked good, red flesh. I hope it fruits again so I can taste a normal size fruit on the tree. His seedless guava does have the round leaves which seems to be one distinguishing characteristic that matches description of this variety. I don't think he is a scan either.

vrk3

• San Jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2022, 01:54:01 PM »
$399 for this small plant is outrageous - https://www.ebay.com/itm/115404422672?hash=item1adea3be10:g:LKQAAOSwbC5hcaTj
Not to mention that most of the photos are from the internet. What bothers me the most is that he doesn't have a single fruit photo of their own. At this price, and not being a well known nursery, I would stay away from such seller.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2022, 02:11:38 PM »
Your choice to pay the high price or not. Doesn't mean he is a scammer.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »
This is a classic story of supply and demand. The seller it does sound like is selling authentic trees, and buyers are willing to pay the outrageous prices... So... He continues to sell them. If people didn't buy at those prices, he would lower the price till he sold again.

Fruit collecting has, from what I can tell, boomed since COVID and prices are much higher than before. This forum is my favorite because people are fair and tend to help each other out. I would suspect in just 3-4 years many of these varieties will be available here for buy, sell, or trade.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2022, 03:22:00 PM »
I saw that guavaking had chaunsa mango and was ready to buy a tree.
then I read a very long thread on this forum and every one who had bought
his rare Indian mangos turned out to be common varieties from Zills.

AndrewAZ
I airlayered a local guava tree and gave it to my neighbor and it fruited the
following year. I can't imagine an airlayered tree taking 3 years to fruit?

Flgarden
Look at the old forum thread, the seller sold rare Indian mangos that are not
in the USA and after a couple years when they fruited they were not what
they were suppose to be. That is a scam! Top Tropicals has done the same thing
over and over to people and they are still in business. I assume if you call and place
an order if these scammers have it in stock they send it if they don't they substitute.

sc4001992
Look at the old thread, too many people got burned by this guy. He is a scammer

I hope none of you got scammed this time.