Author Topic: Passion Fruit problems in San Diego  (Read 905 times)

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
Passion Fruit problems in San Diego
« on: June 29, 2022, 12:56:48 PM »
So, these passion fruits are all on the same area, I found that one of the emitters was clogged and was wondering if that had something to do with the wrinkled fruit and the brown vines. There are plenty of great looking fruit on the same trellis. Any ideas why the bottomed photo and middle photo of the vine caused these to wrinkle? Also, do old vines need to be pruned out? Thanks

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 01:00:29 PM by MarktLee »

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Passion Fruit problems in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 01:53:30 PM »
I've not underwatered a vine to that point, but it would seem possibile, if there's no other animal/wind damage visible.  It flowers on new growth, so I don't like to keep old growth beyond the main structural elements.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 02:05:04 PM »
Hi Mark,

I have a Frederick that is about 20 years old and is still producing this year.  I have seen wrinkled fruit like yours on vines that have died back, but not necessarily from under watering.  I think my vine has lived this long because I don't overwater.  I rarely water from late fall to early spring, then only occasionally deep water once a month during summer, I think we have similar climate being near the coast.  Not sure what your soil is like, but mine is clay. 

I do not prune out old vines if they are healthy, only cut back to keep size contained and any parts that are dying. 

Janet

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 02:09:18 PM »
This is a picture of the base of my vine, over half of it has rotted, but somehow keeps producing.

Janet

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 03:41:01 PM »
Mark, it looks like that vine is just broken probably and dying off.  Can you trace it back and try and look for a broken branch?
Brad Spaugh

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 04:24:10 PM »
Mark, it looks like that vine is just broken probably and dying off.  Can you trace it back and try and look for a broken branch?

Brad, sounds right, animals go around there a lot, and there are a little gopher activity.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 05:22:26 PM »
 The deer eat the heck out of it and chickens also enjoy eating the foliage.  Someone told me its poisonous to chickens but mine dont seem to have an issue, they love eating it. 

Pruners or a machete are good for pruning it.  Once it gets too shaggy its good to thin it back a bit and feed it to you birds or mulch it if possible.  The stuff chips up in a chipper surprisingly well for a vine also. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 05:24:07 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 06:09:04 PM »
Random question on topic of passion fruit: does the plant drop foliage wintertime in southern california, or remain green year round?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 07:54:29 PM »
Passiflora edulis vines should stay green all Winter long in Southern Ca. unless you get hard freeze.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 01:33:29 PM »
Yes, my Passiflora edulis and the other unknown passion fruit vines always have leaves on them, grows like ivy plants everywhere. The Passiflora incarnata grows even out of the ground (roots must spread fast) with new shoots popping up in the yard.