Author Topic: Pouteria lucuma at Fullerton Arboretum (Photos)  (Read 1445 times)

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
Pouteria lucuma at Fullerton Arboretum (Photos)
« on: July 03, 2022, 01:24:59 AM »
I visited the Fullerton Arboretum this month and was happy to see the Lucuma Tree growing well with fruit.

The staff were not sure when these would be offered for sale - in fact, they didn't know when they would ripen.
Has anyone had fruit from this tree and know (1) typical season for it and (2) if it is of the "Dry" variety mentioned for some lucuma on this forum?

Also, the arboretum has a "Wooly Leaf White Sapote", amongst other sapote. Interesting tree, does look unlike other white sapote, both in terms of fruit and leaf texture. Has anyone tried this particular variety of fruit, in comparison to other White Sapotes?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Pouteria lucuma at Fullerton Arboretum (Photos)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 10:26:43 AM »
Arboretum staff don’t know when the fruit is ripe on their most important tree, sounds about right.
I went to fruit and spice last month and the senior staff member told us bilimbi and guava was all that was ripe , we proceeded to find 10+ species of great ripe fruits. Its like the staff move around their day to day with blinders on, or aren’t fruit people but work there. At least they knew which tree the Lucuma is I guess, even if it’s labeled.

Casimiroa Tetrameria ( wooly white sapote ) is tasty, some Casimiroa Edulis varieties are Hybrids with Tetrameria, such as “Suebelle”, one of the most common cultivars found in nursery’s in CA.

Did you see the big Jaboticaba?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 01:03:04 PM »
I believe these ripen on the tree for a long time (2 years like P. sapota) they are ready when they drop or fall with a light nudge-

then counter ripen until the skin starts to break

Ive not tried C. tetrameria but white sapote connoisseurs say it is fabulous if only the fruit is a bit small

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 01:27:27 PM »
The lucuma won't be ripe until late fall and they won't be for sale either, they just go to waste because the (insert word here) staff/what not won't let you pick it either, its a good fruit though, I know people who have 'secretly' climbed it lol.

The wooly sapote there in my opinion is disgusting.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 01:50:25 PM »
How does lucuma compare to canistel and ross sapote?

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 02:08:14 PM »

Alot of people won't agree with me but I prefer lucuma to both, I prefer ross to canistel, I've had many different sourced canistel and they all had this weird underlying flavor tone for me that just ruin it, ross has it too but much more muted..

Find a peruvian restaurant near you and score some lucuma ice cream, its one of my favorites!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 02:23:49 PM »
socalbalcony2, I tasted both the yellow wooly leaf sapote and McDill sapote fruit there at the arboretum. The McDill is very good, the yellow sapote is ok, not that bad tasting, it is ok but not as good as the white sapote. It doesn't say what variety the yellow sapote is, must be an inferior one.

Tlaloc

• https://www.instagram.com/laloscorner/
    • Spacex, CA 10B and EAFB 8B
    • View Profile
    • Lalo's Corner
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 11:25:55 AM »
I've had a dropped fruit from that tree. The taste: sweet yam, maple syrup, peacans, with the texture more on the egg yolk side (doent taste like egg.)

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 11:36:23 AM »
I've had a dropped fruit from that tree. The taste: sweet yam, maple syrup, peacans, with the texture more on the egg yolk side (doent taste like egg.)

Very good description

Alot of people won't agree with me but I prefer lucuma to both, I prefer ross to canistel, I've had many different sourced canistel and they all had this weird underlying flavor tone for me that just ruin it, ross has it too but much more muted..

Find a peruvian restaurant near you and score some lucuma ice cream, its one of my favorites!

Ice cream is one of the best ways it can be prepared imho

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 12:20:46 PM »
I have 5+ sourced seedling lucuma trees two that was from CRfG conference many years ago 1-seedling 'Inca Gold' that has small fruit 1-1/2" oblong fruit, 1-taller seedling that has big fruit like in first post, 1- from Miguel in Portugal big dry fruit, 1-Oscar @fruitlovers.com big dry fruit, 1-from Edgar Valdeva seed from Bolivia not fruited yet. all of my varieties have been dry fruit so far STILL LOOKING FOR MOIST TYPE FRUIT!!!

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 12:32:43 PM »
The struggle is real! I'm starting to wonder if the moist type is a myth! haha.  I have heard that there are some people in Southern California that have a moist type, but connecting with them seems to be difficult.  Thanks for the reports on all the phenotypes that you have, love hearing about others experiences with this species.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 07:19:35 PM »
Yes Nate, I heard from my friend Bob Holzinger old time CRFGer that there was a guy in Orange County Chapter or some where down in greater L.A. area. My the name of Grossenburger that had the moist one and he had tasted it! I have no contacts down that way any more but will be puttings out feelers to some folks I know to see if we can find this one!!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 07:58:41 PM »
Yes Nate, I heard from my friend Bob Holzinger old time CRFGer that there was a guy in Orange County Chapter or some where down in greater L.A. area. My the name of Grossenburger that had the moist one and he had tasted it! I have no contacts down that way any more but will be puttings out feelers to some folks I know to see if we can find this one!!

How long did it take to get to fruiting up there Robert? I have one in the ground but it seems paused in time not growing at all.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 11:52:35 PM »

Hi Robert,

Are you referring to Dario Grossberger of Camarillo and owner of Condor Growers?  Same origin of the Condor Dragonfruit.

Norm

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 04:17:54 PM »
Norm, could be the same fellow I wonder if he grew up in L.A. area? Do you know him and if so does he grow Lucuma?

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 04:29:07 PM »
Kevin, my two varieties from O.C crfg took many,many years before they fruited but one from Oscar at fruitlovers fruited-1 fruit in 8 years also seedling from Portugal fruited same time. First two from O.C. were planted in 04 put the Inca Gold has fruited since 2014 maybe I know one year hard freeze killed fruit. The big fruited other tree from O.C. conference fruited first time this year with about 6-big fruit was hoping it was moist type but alas not was dry.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 05:16:11 PM »
Norm, could be the same fellow I wonder if he grew up in L.A. area? Do you know him and if so does he grow Lucuma?

Sorry, I don't know him personally or know whether he grows Lucuma.  I believe Edgar Valdivia knows him.  Dario is/was heavily involved with growing Cherimoya commercially.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 07:20:33 PM »
Oh cool Edgar knows him thank you very much.

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2022, 12:46:19 AM »
The lucuma won't be ripe until late fall and they won't be for sale either, they just go to waste because the (insert word here) staff/what not won't let you pick it either, its a good fruit though, I know people who have 'secretly' climbed it lol.

The wooly sapote there in my opinion is disgusting.

Thanks!
Does the color change much from the current color show in the pictures as they ripen?

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 12:46:58 AM »

Sounds amazing. Thank you!

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 10:53:25 AM »
Color doesn't change skin splits then falls to ground.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 01:49:30 PM »
I was able to find some moist Lucuma from a farmers market in Lima and semi moist lucuma from the Colombian Amazon. Just checked and looks like I have some germination. Might have some seedlings available.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2022, 01:52:51 PM »
Dario G. Was heavily involved with the Cherimoya conference that used to happen. Maybe the director?
Anyways, super nice guy that should not be that hard to reach and I’d think would be happy to share genetics.
I’ll see if I have his contact Nate.