Author Topic: Giant African land snails  (Read 1751 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Giant African land snails
« on: July 04, 2022, 11:04:52 AM »
Does anyone have information on this invasive species that may have been found in Florida
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Giant African land snails
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 11:23:43 AM »
They have been found in FL. They eat stuff, lots of it. Even can eat drywall and stucco from what I've heard, probably because they need calcium.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 12:56:17 PM »
Saw one of these on my recent trip to Dominican Republic-

Massive

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 01:37:36 PM »
Pythons iguanas and African snails oh my.
I hope they don't carry any kind of parasites I saw an episode of monsters inside of us about a parasite from a snail in Hawaii quite horrifying
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 01:48:42 PM »
They do carry a whole bunch of nasty parasites and one in particular can cause meningitis in humans. They say not to handle them with bare hands. I also recall that many snail feces also carry bad things and do terrible things in your body, maybe that was from that monsters in us episode that I also watched before lol

Pythons iguanas and African snails oh my.
I hope they don't carry any kind of parasites I saw an episode of monsters inside of us about a parasite from a snail in Hawaii quite horrifying

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 09:03:26 PM »
We have them here in Hawaii. Very common. Regular snal except they are large. They are carriers of rat lung worm here in Hawaii. But you would need the disease for them to carry it.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 10:05:56 PM »
we get giant slugs here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limax_maximus

Watch out, they're fast!
a carnivore known to pursue other slugs at a top speed of 15 centimetres (6 in) per minute.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 10:08:19 PM by brian »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 12:13:18 AM »
"One mans food is another mans poison invasive"

There are more than one variety of these, the one that was (possibly still is) a problem in Florida is the East African one (Lissachatina fulica).  Apparently a nasty piece of work that can destroy your crop  and potentially infect you with some nasty stuff.  Well cooked though, fried and peppered, it is a delicacy.

I am more familiar with the West African variety, Archachatina marginata, which you will find in every market in Cameroon, Nigeria and Ghana and is very popular with the locals.  I assume it is also an invasive here and does not belong. 

It is interesting how escaped pets go from someone's indulgence to everyone's problem.

Makes one wonder, all the seeds we are enthusiastically acquiring from all over the world, will one escape and become the next Brazilian pepper?  I just learned a couple of days ago that Suriname Cherry is already considered an invasive in South Florida.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 11:31:42 AM »
I have a small snail that is all over my property now that wasn't here a couple years ago?
I am on the egde of Hendry county but heard it is also in Lee county? Some days I sqaush
over a hundred especially after a rain

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 09:50:31 PM »
"One mans food is another mans poison invasive"

There are more than one variety of these, the one that was (possibly still is) a problem in Florida is the East African one (Lissachatina fulica).  Apparently a nasty piece of work that can destroy your crop  and potentially infect you with some nasty stuff.  Well cooked though, fried and peppered, it is a delicacy.

I am more familiar with the West African variety, Archachatina marginata, which you will find in every market in Cameroon, Nigeria and Ghana and is very popular with the locals.  I assume it is also an invasive here and does not belong. 

It is interesting how escaped pets go from someone's indulgence to everyone's problem.

Makes one wonder, all the seeds we are enthusiastically acquiring from all over the world, will one escape and become the next Brazilian pepper?  I just learned a couple of days ago that Suriname Cherry is already considered an invasive in South Florida.

Anything that grows well without major intervention is now considered an invasive. Guava,  sapodilla, Suriname Cherry... I have even seen lists that included sugarcane and citrus! Of course after greening, that shouldn't be a problem anymore... ::)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 07:45:16 AM »

Anything that grows well without major intervention is now considered an invasive. Guava,  sapodilla, Suriname Cherry... I have even seen lists that included sugarcane and citrus! Of course after greening, that shouldn't be a problem anymore... ::)
The Florida invasive list out of control all by itself. They have Coconut and Moringa listed as invasive.
I have looked at the underlying documentation from how they make these decisions and it looks like the work of a student.
There is a scoring system which usually uses research papers from other places in the world, and very few actual experiences.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 09:04:32 AM »
I have a small snail that is all over my property now that wasn't here a couple years ago?
I am on the egde of Hendry county but heard it is also in Lee county? Some days I sqaush
over a hundred especially after a rain
maybe a couple goose would help as they will eat snails

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 09:19:37 AM »
We have a couple species of flatworms here in Bokeelia that have decimated all snails and slugs.Now they do eat earthworms but they seem to hold their own.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 09:01:35 PM »
Orkine is right, a lot of these invasive species are quite delicious like snakeheads , south Asian eels,  and pythons. Snails, you have to fully clean and cook them. My neighbor cooks up iguanas and they taste great. Even carp is good if you know how to prepare them.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 09:25:24 PM »
I haven't tried some of the others but the snails I have and I am not surprised that some people try to smuggle eggs or a few brood stock in to farm some snail.  Customs keep an eye out for them on flights originating from some parts of Africa.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 10:18:16 PM »
The Florida invasive list out of control all by itself. They have Coconut and Moringa listed as invasive.
I have looked at the underlying documentation from how they make these decisions and it looks like the work of a student.
There is a scoring system which usually uses research papers from other places in the world, and very few actual experiences.

By that methodology, bullfrogs would probably end up on Florida's invasive list. They are invasive in other parts of the U.S. and elsewhere in the world.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 10:26:48 PM »
Orkine is right, a lot of these invasive species are quite delicious like snakeheads , south Asian eels,  and pythons. Snails, you have to fully clean and cook them. My neighbor cooks up iguanas and they taste great. Even carp is good if you know how to prepare them.

People keep trying to make carp into something that "normal" people want to eat. I am not sure that will ever happen, since it is nigh on impossible to get a nice, big, boneless carp filet. But, I did see something promising about a company making processed carp foods, grinding it in such a way that the bones are not an issue. I will try it if I ever see it for sale. But, I have an adventurous palate when it comes to fish and game. I would not eat an animal if it is a pet (dogs, cats, horses) or if I have a soft spot for it (turtles, native snakes). Other creatures are fair game, something which disgusted one of my college roommates whenever I would eat whiting, eel, or squid.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2022, 05:07:28 PM »
Above replies I agree all invasive lists are no good
Even some native plants like poison Ivy are listed as Invasive even on Governmental sites

Does anyone have information on this invasive species that may have been found in Florida

I was looking at Escargot (to eat snails) and saw this
You could select  Florida or your state
(I didn't put a direct link this might be good for others )

(Hungry pests)
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/pests-diseases/hungry-pests/Pest-Tracker

(this is the article I saw it at if your interested I suppose a kid brought these in 1966,
and they spent a million over 10 years getting rid of them) (1 million in todays money or 1966 money?)

It doesn't say in the article but I remember these  Snails can be Hermaphrodite
So a male can screw itself if no Females are around to make offspring...

https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2012/04/19/escargot-more-escar-no

What is that Coconut Beetle never heard of it ?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:09:13 PM by Francis_Eric »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 05:30:35 PM »

Oops it's called parthenogenetically (without a male)
 (coincidence cattle fever tick article after I posted Bovine does that apply to you? I'm wiry like the steer I Hope I do not have it )

----------------
This sites new to me
I just saw you could see new diseases as well
good to keep a eye out (I did discover thousand cankers (on Black walnut a while back )
I have not really checked the USDA though

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/pests-diseases

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 06:24:43 PM »

Oops it's called parthenogenetically (without a male)
 (coincidence cattle fever tick article after I posted Bovine does that apply to you? I'm wiry like the steer I Hope I do not have it )

----------------
This sites new to me
I just saw you could see new diseases as well
good to keep a eye out (I did discover thousand cankers (on Black walnut a while back )
I have not really checked the USDA though

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/pests-diseases
I collected Bwago Creole for sea snails once in Souffle with my sister-in-law's husband. He boiled them in a big pot. I shied away from eating some for fear of mad Snail Disease.Lol

Patrick! Gary has parasites what should I do?
Go scr** you self Bob
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 06:26:40 PM by bovine421 »