Author Topic: A couple of questions about lychees  (Read 560 times)

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
A couple of questions about lychees
« on: July 09, 2022, 06:03:59 AM »
I got this Sweetheart, coming from an air layering:

I'm considering allocating for it either a space of 2.2 x 2m, or the full area of 3.2 x 2.2m. The first case is where it's right now, and the circle on the right would be for a small kumquat. Should I decide to allocate all the space, the lychee would be in the middle.

All this area will have grass on it probably, except for some area around the base of the tree/trees. I was thinking on using geotextile fabric and stones because this area tends to have a lot of weeds, but that would probably impact the nutrients available for the lychee. What do you think? Would it be wise to use inorganic mulch here instead of grass?

And the second question is about, at this current size, would it be better if I move it to a pot, or can I plant it directly in the ground? I have read that lychees should be kept in pots until they are big enough to cope with wind, but don't know what's "big enough".
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 06:13:35 AM by eez0 »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of questions about lychees
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 07:44:26 AM »
In the pot it's in you should see roots at the bottom before you plant or up pot it.
Make sure it's accustomed to the sun before you put it in full sun
I would plant it in the spot it's going once the roots are filled out and it's accustomed
to sun.
Lychees get huge compared to the space you are providing. You will have to trim it
yearly to try to contain it. I have seen trees 30' tall and 30' wide
I like to plant most of my trees including lychee in some organic potting mix
that currently has peat, perlite, coffee grounds, compost, and cricket frass.
I then add a circle of mulch around the tree. I try to keep the weeds out of the circle
and I add fresh mulch 2-3 times a year. As the tree grows I widen the circle.
Lychees seem to really like the organic material

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 09:36:13 AM »
Sweet Heart is one of the larger lychee trees. It will need all of that space and more.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 10:01:26 AM »
I have a sweetheart lychee tree in a 15 foot diameter space.  I can maintain that with yearly pruning, but would not want it to be in a smaller space. In fact, 20 foot diameter would be more appropriate.  I also noticed that you're in zone 11b/12a.  It might be difficult for you to have enough chill hours in your zone.  In Hawaii, one of the most popular varieties that fruits well with their low chill hours, is Kaimana.   
Brad

eez0

• Canary Islands. 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 02:15:55 PM »
yeah, I know about the size that it can reach, but my idea is to prune yearly to maintain the size. Sadly, lychee is not a popular tree here, and actually, only one nursery are selling them, so it's hard to find other varieties.

About the chill hours, I wouldn't worry about it. Peaches, nectarines, plums, pomegranates, even some pears are working here, so I guess a lychee will not be a problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk