Author Topic: Too late to plant a mango tree?  (Read 860 times)

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
Too late to plant a mango tree?
« on: September 21, 2022, 09:27:19 PM »
Last weekend, I bought a 3-gallon Orange Sherbet tree. I was wondering if it is too late in the year to plant it, as I lost 4 3-gallon mango trees from the freeze earlier this year; they were planted around September/October last year.
I am in zone 10a, and last year we had a couple of days where temperature dropped to 29F. Only my 25-gallon mango tree survived but suffered quite a bit.
TIA
Tom

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Too late to plant a mango tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 09:54:51 PM »
I am repotting a couple 3 gallon mangos in 7 gallon pots and plan to plant them next Spring.
It's easier to protect a tree in a pot then in the ground.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 10:56:13 PM »
I agree, we rarely plant out anything in less than a 7gal. It is so easy to pick up a 3 gal or 7 gal pot and put it in the garage for the night.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 02:03:26 PM »
Last weekend, I bought a 3-gallon Orange Sherbet tree. I was wondering if it is too late in the year to plant it, as I lost 4 3-gallon mango trees from the freeze earlier this year; they were planted around September/October last year.
I am in zone 10a, and last year we had a couple of days where temperature dropped to 29F. Only my 25-gallon mango tree survived but suffered quite a bit.
TIA
I felt compelled to post as zone 10a average minimal temperature is 30 to 35F.
https://ffl.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/usda-hardiness-zones/
I know average gets an average from points above and below the listed average number range.
Life is a risk.... So yes, you might suffer defeat to a freeze.... I was told not to plant mango trees on my property 25 yrs ago by a nursery as they said it's too cold in Palm City. I planted 3  (3 gallon size trees) and all survived & many others since then.

Postives to planting in Sept... 1. Cooler and easier to work than summer months 2. Highest rainfall is in the month of Sept. so little watering is needed. 3. Less sun exposure on young plants leads to less sun burnt leaves.

In conclusion, Sept. is one of my favorite months to plant mangos trees in my area of zone 10a.

Larger diameter trunk, limbs, etc. will decrease odds of freeze damage as previously mentioned. There are many other additional ways to help decrease your odds of freeze damage on many other threads.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 02:10:09 PM by palmcity »

Vic8361

• Port Saint Lucie Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 03:46:50 PM »
Another positive note on planting now is that the root system will be established by spring and ready for the summer. I live in 10a and I prefer planting now. It's also easy to protect a small tree from the cold, I just throw a garbage can over it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 03:49:39 PM by Vic8361 »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 07:56:47 AM »
Of more current concern than a freeze is the potential landing of a hurricane in Florida. So prepare today early for both at the same time.

Any young green mango branch growing upward is especially likely to be broken in high winds if not staked. So, consider staking metal poles around small trees and tying the branches to the poles. If the branches go far above the poles, consider cutting off the top section before the wind comes at high speeds (do not cut off the grafted area).

At the same time consider freeze protection and think of what could I place over or around these poles to cover the small tree in 3 to 4 more months (Dec. January) when freezes might occur without putting too much weight on the plant but instead on the poles/platform/etc.

Plan for both at the same time as to how high or wide to make the poles around the small tree for support.

Many other mango trees might need to be trimmed back over the next week, especially if given nitrogen fertilizer recently with a lot of green vegetative  heavy growth hanging on the limbs and if high winds come soon.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 11:29:43 AM »
Is the OP in Florida? Here in SoCal 10a September is my favorite month to plant out trees. Planted a couple seedlings last week and had great weather to get them established.

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 09:59:40 PM »
Thank you all for your thoughts. I really appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie. I see both sides of the argument, and I guess it comes down to my risk tolerance level.
@JohnB: I am in FL, S. Venice.
@palmcity: I actually cut off the top of the Orange Sherbet and grafted it onto my Kiew Yai. The OS was tall, and we are expecting strong winds next week.

Thanks again, everybody.
Tom