Author Topic: Mango question is CAC and COC the same thing?  (Read 1822 times)

Dingopointer

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
Mango question is CAC and COC the same thing?
« on: February 01, 2021, 12:22:01 PM »
I was looking for a Cac tree after trying and loving the fruit last summer.  One of the local suppliers had one and I picked it up.  After getting it home I noticed that the name on the tag actually spells COC and not CAC.  The tree originates from the Excalibur nursery and their website lists the COC as one of cultivars they sell.  They do not have CAC on their list.   Every other nursery has CAC and not COC.  There is absolutely no information anywhere about COC Mango except the "Tropical Acres" where they say that they are two different things.

Does anyone have an idea on this?  Are they the same or actually two different cultivars?

Thanks!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Mango question is CAC and COC the same thing?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »
In Vietnam, Coc (or “Toad mango”) is distinctive from what we call Cac (which in reality is likely Xoai Cat Chu).

To the best of my knowledge, what Excalibur has produced under the name “Coc” is indeed Cac

Dingopointer

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 12:52:24 PM »
That is what I am hoping for :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 02:18:24 PM »
That is what I am hoping for :)

Yes, Alex is correct.  What Excalibur sells as Coc is what we all know and love as Cac.
- Rob

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 02:46:28 PM »
Cac means cock.
None natives pronounce cock as coc.

Probably taste similar to crock.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 08:01:28 PM »
It is a typo by the nurseries of Coc instead of Cac. In VN there is no such thing as Coc mango. I believe we had discussed this subject before.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 08:43:48 PM »
It is a typo by the nurseries of Coc instead of Cac. In VN there is no such thing as Coc mango. I believe we had discussed this subject before.

I am not sure you are correct.  Tim, a mod on the forum, had previously posted otherwise (years ago).
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 02:08:44 AM »
Getting the correct identity is really important as COC ups can take years to find out about. Quite a few mangoes have more than one name in popular use.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 02:41:58 AM »

I am not sure you are correct.  Tim, a mod on the forum, had previously posted otherwise (years ago).

Hi Rob, I grew up in VN and never heard a Coc mango. I have spent a bit of time searching and reading Vietnamese articles Coc mango and have found none so far. There Coc fruits but they are not mangoes.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 08:23:40 AM »
I’ve had several Vietnamese customers and acquaintances tell me that there is indeed a mango called Coc in Vietnam. Whether its name is a reference to Ambarella or an actual toad I’m not sure, and it may just be a local colloquial name that isn’t common throughout the country.

Incidentally many have never heard of Cat Chu mango either (what I believe to be “our” Cac), and there’s even some dispute among Vietnamese in Florida as to whether the Cat Hoa Loc here is the same as that in Vietnam.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 04:40:47 PM »
Hey Alex,
Yes, in VN Coc fruit is only used to refer to  Ambarella, which we love to eat when mature green with chili salt.

In fact Cac is a typo of Cat. There are a few different "Cat" mangoes:
1) Cat Chu: from Cao Lanh province, Mekong delta region. Pale yellow when ripe but fruit shape is same as Cat Hoa Loc.
2) Cat Hoa Loc: from Hoa Loc province, Mekong delta. Look similar to Cat Chu but bigger -- around 500grams, taste better. Have a dark ring around the stem. less fibers or none compared to Cat Chu.

Pic of Cat Hoa Loc with dark ring around the stem:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/oijiaN8fXYFqeNUwRxZjG80qECtjEE4GTQeojXBOiHP-Cwx9bo46uiAtIBjdDzovrMYl29nO2dYfPyL1bqldwOxag9vIsp6NR4OY2XRtpHDK_3ESvSGR85nP8rrmVYVKDaAsUJtc

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 04:48:31 PM by sapote »

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 07:16:04 PM »
In Vietnamese, Coc means toad/frog or june plum ; Cac is male private part.
I've asked my Vietnamese family, and nobody has heard about Coc mango.
I don't know the history of "cac" mango in the US, and I tend to believe that cac is a misspelling of Cat, which means sand. Some people claim that cat mango has a sandy texture when they bite into the flesh, hence the name cat.
I told my family about "cac" mango, and people either were rolling laughing or giving me a WTF look.  And, yes I decided to relabel my "Cac" mango. :)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 07:27:37 PM by fruitnoob »
Tom

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 09:00:18 PM »
In Vietnamese, Coc means toad/frog or june plum ; Cac is male private part.
I've asked my Vietnamese family, and nobody has heard about Coc mango.
I don't know the history of "cac" mango in the US, and I tend to believe that cac is a misspelling of Cat, which means sand. Some people claim that cat mango has a sandy texture when they bite into the flesh, hence the name cat.
I told my family about "cac" mango, and people either were rolling laughing or giving me a WTF look.  And, yes I decided to relabel my "Cac" mango. :)

So Cac in Vietnamese has the same meaning as Coc(k) in English.  Interesting.
John

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 09:13:09 PM »
@johnb51, I believe so.
A southwestern Vietnamese has just told me that they had heard coc mango in Vietnam, but the term coc implies to anything that is small or tiny.
So, a coc mango implies a small mango of any variety.
Tom

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2022, 08:35:30 AM »

Here is a picture of the two types of Vietnamese mangos available in the normal nursery trade in Florida
Both came from my yard in the 2021 season

The yellow one is what they sell as CAC, I believe Alex thinks this is the same as Cat Shu. (this is one of the smaller fruits from the tree)
The green one is Cat Hoa Loc

I personally like the Cac better as I'm a big fan of the Indochinese flavor.
Cat Hoa Loc is a little denser and has a Thai component to go along with the Indochinese.
I eat these ripe

GrowerA

• Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2022, 02:35:31 AM »
There are few things we need to look at for this question. 1 . Without see/ review fruit from your tree ,then there not much information that we can give you exactly of what you have.  The best thing you could do is ask directly to the grower that sold you the plant.

2.  When you are talking about Vietnamese language   "CAC and COC"  these does not mean anything without  symbols on it. We can guess, but if you read those in English then it makes sound like   CAC = cặc (it means male private part ). COC = cóc ( is means toad )  Trái Cóc = Ambarella . Xoài= Mango  . Xoài cóc is a type of small size mango that known for eating green or pickles  by the local grower . Yes it can be eating when ripe as well.  This is not type of mango that well known throughout Viet Nam like Thai mango, Taiwan mango that for eating green. Check the YouTube links bellow for example of the type of mango cóc in Viet Nam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvB5EfPd9i4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWZUS-Tl0YQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1zTyIaPQXI

3. CAT more like  cát  = sand . Cát mango got its name, because its skin looks like sand texture with all the dots color when ripe.   Xoài cát ( Cát mango) has more then 2 varieties  and they  are Xoài cát Hòa Lộc ; Xoài cát chu ; Xoài cát bồ; Xoài cát núm ; Xoài cát thơm .

If you are talking about a Vietnamese Mango  then  Cát is the name ,  Not  CAC and  Cát mango is not the same as Cóc mango.