Author Topic: Cherimoyas and gophers  (Read 657 times)

adhawk76

• USA, California, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
Cherimoyas and gophers
« on: October 29, 2022, 03:50:25 PM »
Has anyone ever had gophers attack Cherimoyas? I personally have not. But, at my last place, I started making gopher cages for everything I planted in the ground towards the end of living there. The cages did wonders for my dragon fruit. There would be gopher mounds right up against the cage, but they never got in. I also had three Cherimoya trees and the last one I planted, I put a gopher cage in, just cuz. But the gophers never made an appearance anywhere near the Cherimoyas. I was wondering if they don't mess with them since the roots, like the seeds, are toxic. Anyways, I'm about to put a Cherimoya in the ground at my new place and I'd rather not bother with the cage if I don't have to. Anybody have any input or experience with this?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoyas and gophers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 07:56:33 PM »
I've had them dig all around the tree, but I never noticed their tunnels going up to the roots. That said, they could easily uproot a moya with all of their tunneling.

Cages are a good temporary solution, but only that, as they don't last more than a few years before the gophers get through them. If the trees are established in three years time, they have a chance, but I had gophers destroy established fig trees, so it may not last.

I would still cage it.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 02:07:39 PM »
Gophers go for whatever. I've lost cherimoyas and other annonas to them, especially when young. I don't subscribe to the idea that since they have annoncin they don't get targeted - deers destroyed some of my annonas this year too eating every single leaf and young shoot. 

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 02:20:05 PM »
My friend has a cherimoya in a gopher infested yard. It even bite the trunk. The tree doesn't look so healthy either. The leaves are smaller and it doesn't seems to be thriving. Cherimoya grow like weed here in SoCal with some care too.

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 07:35:50 PM »
I like the idea around gopher cages --- but recently a gopher tunneled around one, then piled dirt from his tunnels OVER the cage and the young tree (this was a fig) and proceeded to devour the trunk and leaves that was ABOVE the gopher cage.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 08:24:44 PM »
I like the idea around gopher cages --- but recently a gopher tunneled around one, then piled dirt from his tunnels OVER the cage and the young tree (this was a fig) and proceeded to devour the trunk and leaves that was ABOVE the gopher cage.

The only way I've found peace is aggressively trapping them. If I see signs, traps are out that very day.

You'd have lost the tree no matter what if in no cage at all.