Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Trying to overwinter a ponderosa lemon started from seed

(1/3) > >>

Unicyclemike:
Okay...so I started a citrus tree ( Ponderosa lemon)  from seed about 6 years ago. I left it in a pot all those years. So I decided to stick it outside in the ground out of the pot and see if I could overwinter it in zone 6b/7a...Red Lion Pennsylvania. I am only using about 150 Watts of electric heat......christmas lights and a 100 watt bulb...I am also using wood chips, styrofoam and 6 mil plastic. We have had several nights at or below 25 degrees F. And guess what it is flowering.....incredible....

Mike Adams

vnomonee:
My ponderosa flowers in the fall too once I bring it inside lol. Amazing that you grew it from seed way to go!

Hope your protection is enough, it's very frost tender from the citron in it. A better variety to protect outside in zone 7, if you want a lemon like fruit, would probably be ichang lemon.

Unicyclemike:
Thank you for your comment.  I did it as a test to see if I could indeed overwinter a citrus "on the cheap" without buying a greenhouse and using 1500 watts of heat 24/7.  If it works the "how I did it" I will share with the group.  So far so good.  I was just stunned to see the flower buds.  This is hopefully preparing me for next spring when I plant a Owari Satsuma and a Zgwingli Citrumelo which I purchase from the one and only Stan Mckenzie....I want to keep my wattage under 200W per hour.....

kumin:
My suggestion is to control the heat source by thermostat.overheating is as detrimental as freezing.

Unicyclemike:
Good point.  I will keep that in mind.  Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version