Author Topic: How cold will it get in your part of Florida in the next week  (Read 5162 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How cold will it get in your part of Florida in the next week
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2023, 06:27:28 PM »
I envy your 39, I am looking at 35 or a tad lower.  Brrrrr.
Most potted plants are in.
Not sure there is anything I can do for my Soursops which are in the ground.
All but one of them defoliated over Christmas.  The one that showed some tolerance is very exposed now and will likely take a hit tonight.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2023, 06:43:19 PM »
NOAA says 34°F (originally included patchy frost😳 but not in latest updates), weather dot com says 35° for the low, and AccuWeather says 36°. Hoping AccuWeather is the most accurate.

Went ahead and covered a lot of inground stuff and brought in a bunch of container plants. Some stuff will just have to do their best, though.

My two inground Soursops  also defoliated after the Dec cold spell. Not holding out hope for them.

Why does it always have to be so damn windy when I have to cover stuff with frostcloth?!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2023, 06:48:26 PM »
Best of luck everyone!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2023, 09:46:33 PM »
Freeze warning in effect from 3am to 9pm for Polk, Highlands, Hardee, and Desoto counties.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2023, 07:20:54 AM »
Woke up to 33 at 3 this morning when I got up here in South Lakeland.  Now at 7 it is down to 29 and there has been frost on the ground the entire time since I got up.

I hope others are faring better.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2023, 08:03:56 AM »
Frost on the rooftops and open fields in Sebastian but the lowest temperature I saw was 33.5 degrees. The mango flower buds had started pushing after the cold during Christmas so we’ll see how they do.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2023, 08:06:25 AM »
Woke up to 33 at 3 this morning when I got up here in South Lakeland.  Now at 7 it is down to 29 and there has been frost on the ground the entire time since I got up.

I hope others are faring better.

Same here, just an hour or two less frost. Looks like the beans and ground cherries in the garden are toast even though they were covered with a heavy cloth. Stuff at my Dad's place will be fine since he will have run water all night. Time to learn from my mistakes for next year. Happy Sunday anyway, y'all.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2023, 08:08:29 AM »
Forecast was correct, hit 39F on the dot last night/this morning. 

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2023, 08:10:40 AM »
sitting at 32F frost everywhere

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2023, 08:12:27 AM »
It appears that my pessimism last fall was justified.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2023, 09:13:59 AM »
Supposedly only went down to 37° or 36°, but there's patchy frost. Hopefully the frost cloth was enough to protect the buds and blooms. We're supposed to get patchy frost again tomorrow morning. Galatians522, did you mean 3am to 9am?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2023, 10:23:40 AM »
Coldest I saw was 39 degrees but this was after some warming this morning.  May have been 36 or 37 at the coldest.
Better than I expected based on the forecasts.  Now we start a slow climb up,  .... for now.

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2023, 10:30:50 AM »
I did not see forecasts of frost last night and didn't cover anything. I woke up to frost on the roof and the grass. I had my mangos strung with xmas lights. Hopefully that was enough.

I live in North Port.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2023, 04:55:53 PM »
Supposedly only went down to 37° or 36°, but there's patchy frost. Hopefully the frost cloth was enough to protect the buds and blooms. We're supposed to get patchy frost again tomorrow morning. Galatians522, did you mean 3am to 9am?

Yes, I did. Lol!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2023, 05:38:17 PM »
I did not see forecasts of frost last night and didn't cover anything. I woke up to frost on the roof and the grass. I had my mangos strung with xmas lights. Hopefully that was enough.

I live in North Port.

Was there any frost on the leaves? Sometimes with a light frost you will see it on the grass and roof but it won't have settled on the tree yet.

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2023, 06:24:34 PM »
The forecasted low for the Lakeland area was 33-35. I live near the airport and it usually gets colder in our area. We hit 32* at 3:30 and had a low of 28. Good amount of frost on the ground and a light amount of frost on some of my fruit trees. I wasn't expecting things to be that cold so i didn't do anything significant for protection other than covering a few small things. The forecasts were going really well this year as far as accuracy until last night. Did really well in the Christmas freezes using a couple of smudge pots, but i don't think I needed them as we only went down to 29 in those events with no frost. I did lose some leaves on my Jackfruit from refrigerator effect seeing we were under 45* for more than 48 hrs straight. Hopefully this ends the freezes this year. I do have the stuff i need for overhead irrigation, i just haven't set it up yet.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2023, 09:21:39 PM »
An ambient temp of 35 is predicted for my area with a dew point of 36. This means that frost is very likely again tonight. We are not out of the woods, yet. Also, I am no meteorologist, but it is quite possible that we will still get another cold blast before winter ends.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2023, 04:46:20 AM »
An ambient temp of 35 is predicted for my area with a dew point of 36. This means that frost is very likely again tonight. We are not out of the woods, yet. Also, I am no meteorologist, but it is quite possible that we will still get another cold blast before winter ends.

Me to 🙂
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 04:48:01 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2023, 07:58:07 AM »
They didn’t do a great job of forecasting last night. Predicted lows were 38-41 depending on and app but it was already down to 37 at 10pm last night. I ran out and did some emergency frost prevention on some of my plants but wasn’t as prepared as yesterday. I woke up this morning to 33.4 degrees and frost on everyone roofs and exposed areas of ground.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2023, 08:49:56 AM »
43 the past few mornings in St Pete. No frost.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2023, 09:31:10 AM »
They didn’t do a great job of forecasting last night. Predicted lows were 38-41 depending on and app but it was already down to 37 at 10pm last night. I ran out and did some emergency frost prevention on some of my plants but wasn’t as prepared as yesterday. I woke up this morning to 33.4 degrees and frost on everyone roofs and exposed areas of ground.

This is why I do not trust the forecasters. They are only 80%-90% accurate. I need 100% accuracy to keep my plants alive. If the predicted temperature is below 39 and the dew point is higher than the temp, I assume frost will happen (unless there is a strong breeze all night).  I end up protecting my plants several times a year when I didn't need to, but it saves them on the one night every year that they missed the forecast on.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2023, 11:27:14 AM »
The wind is my friend during a frost but at 32°, it's my adversary. So when I want it I generally don't get it but when I do get it it's too much. Ambient Air Temperature predictions I take the most pessimistic and anything below 37 I just go ahead and do the drill assuming there will be frost. The change in humidity and dew point from late night to early morning changes hourly and their prediction is hopefully in the a.m. close to Sunrise. I definitely prefer them to be pessimistic and not optimistic because you cannot undo the damage. And you will have all summer to curse yourself but with pessimistic prediction you get some exercise maybe lose a little sleep. But we all know if we do nothing we're not going to sleep anyways just tossed and turn. Some of these things have to be done in advance even if you have your own weather station by the time you realize what the dew point is other than turning on your irrigation you're behind the curve. I will say this holiday season has been exhausting🤪
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2023, 11:38:32 AM »
More frost last night--I think the lows went down to 36°. Definitely more frost last night than the night before. While last January's experience makes me question how effective frost cloth is against freezing temps, it definitely seems to have helped protect against frost damage from the last couple nights. Freshly uncovered blooms:

Car frost:

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2023, 11:43:22 AM »

I live in North Port.

Was there any frost on the leaves? Sometimes with a light frost you will see it on the grass and roof but it won't have settled on the tree yet.

Nothing on the leaves. So far everything looks good. I tented everything last night as well. I think I'm in the clear.

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2023, 09:31:56 AM »

So far the Rosigold survived the last 2 cold spells without a problem. Angie and Pickering show first blossoms as well.