Author Topic: Pink pineapple experience  (Read 478 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Pink pineapple experience
« on: December 27, 2022, 11:46:57 PM »
I found them at a local market and even at $8 I figured I'd give it a try. Boy, was it a letdown! Even though it was fully ripe both my GF and myself wouldn't even finish the whole fruit and it went into a tupperware with sugar water for a few days to tone down the acidic "flavor"

I read that Del Monte is snipping the tops off before shipping them to keep backyard growers from growing their own gene spliced samples, I have news for them, I do not WANT any! :-)

Regards,

Gary

Okvid

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pink pineapple experience
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 12:06:09 AM »
Maybe you got a lemon. The one I had tasted like pineapple mixed with some strawberry flavor.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 12:23:50 AM »
Mine was very sweet with little to none of the typical pineapple tang. It was more expensive when I purchased it a few years ago. I would buy it again for $8 for a special occasion.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 12:43:50 AM »
Sounds like your pineapple may have been out of season?  When I purchased my Pink Glow it was in June last year. Cost was $25 each. It tasted very good.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 01:29:38 AM »
I got one recently for the same reason. It was not so good that I fussed with trying to save the top, but it was a nice pineapple.
I do have the seeds in water though to grow them in case I win the lottery and get a spectacular and pink fruit

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 10:34:36 AM »
Almost every product on a grocery store shelf is mostly sugar. Buy sugar free and it's mostly artificial sugar. Then they breed new crops to be "sweeter". I'm more interested in heirloom crops where I don't go into diabetic shock eating it. I have been trying to cut sugar because it's not healthy in huge doses. They never seem to come out with more vitamins or antioxidants in New crops.

Native grapes, blackberries etc often have better flavors and better health properties because they aren't primarily sugar water. It would be an interesting novelty if not for the high price but I'm sure it will come down.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk