Author Topic: Dekopon/Sumo/Shiranui  (Read 1475 times)

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
Dekopon/Sumo/Shiranui
« on: December 30, 2022, 03:56:41 PM »
Where to buy Dekopon/Sumo/Shiranui in Europe and why is growing it so difficult?

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Dekopon/Sumo/Shiranui
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 04:46:43 AM »
don' t think if it s  so difficult to grow them in Europe/Germany, I know some growers which cultivate them successful. The plant shoulb be available at the well known citrus sellers in Italy or France.

LittleCitrusLover

• Bay Area - East Bay 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 10:46:32 AM »
Even in Japan where the climate is relatively warm, they grow shiranui in greenhouses year-round. It's an intensive crop to grow to make it sweet enough. You wouldn't get that quality outdoors most likely unless you live somewhere really hot like Brazil.

From https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/crc4249 -
"Due to both its size and sweetness, 'Dekopon' fruits are quite expensive. One fruit costs roughly Y750 (US$6.60). The fruits are usually grown in large greenhouses to keep them at a constant temperature, and are harvested during January (winter in Japan). After harvesting, 'Dekopon' fruits are usually left for a period of 20-40 days so that the levels of citric acid in the fruit lower while the sugar levels increase, to make a more appealing taste for the market.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 10:51:07 AM by LittleCitrusLover »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 03:45:41 PM »
In a Japanese Supermarket there is a section for regular fruit, and a section for " gift fruit " with the $20 melons and the $10 Apples and the expensive Loquats etc.
The $ 6 Dekopons might be here ?
Seems a bit high priced or outdated now ?
That said some of the more unusual Japanese Citrus varieties in the regular section were $ 3 or $ 4 per piece of fruit or 2 pack when I last went.
Most of the common Japanese Citrus was about $ 1 per fruit, or tray pack of 2 or 3.

We have local Dekopon / Sumo in Australia now. Not sure they are grown as carefully as in Japan by the quality seen here.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 06:53:42 PM »
I had a couple of Sumo fruits in 2022 spring.  They tasted sweet but not super sweet.   

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 08:13:40 PM »
Mine has been problem-free and is a great producer.  Mine are sweet, but not super sweet as others said.  Mine are HUGE though, the size of large grapefruit/small pummelo.  My only complaint about these is that the flesh near the bump on the top of the fruit is sometimes dry, I saw similar effect with Valentine pummelo.

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 01:01:14 AM »
Mine are sweet, but not super sweet as others said.

I read about Brix up to 21, so it should be the sweetest citrus known.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:29:25 AM by martweb »

mar3

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 02:50:32 PM »
There are a few things I find curious about Dekopon.

• In that (BBC?) documentary of satsuma orchards in Japan, one of those interviewed mentioned having inconsistent flavor with Dekopon. He said they reviewed their log and determined that heavier rains were beneficial, contrary to conventional wisdom.
  • The report of how they store them in a temperature controlled room to improve the flavor. I was under the impression that citrus doesn't ripen after being picked.
  • People have reported getting some bud source that have fruit with the neck, and some without the neck.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 03:25:14 PM »
There are a few things I find curious about Dekopon.

• In that (BBC?) documentary of satsuma orchards in Japan, one of those interviewed mentioned having inconsistent flavor with Dekopon. He said they reviewed their log and determined that heavier rains were beneficial, contrary to conventional wisdom.
  • The report of how they store them in a temperature controlled room to improve the flavor. I was under the impression that citrus doesn't ripen after being picked.
  • People have reported getting some bud source that have fruit with the neck, and some without the neck.

Can you post a link to the BBC doc, or did I miss that.
We have Fuji apples grown in Australia, size of a tennis ball. Quite nice.
Fuji Apples in Japan are twice that size and taste fantastic.
The TLC involved in fruit production to get the high quality fruit in Japan is also seen in other crops, like individual bagging of grape bunches.
As far as I know any fruit exported from Australia must also consider an 'after ripening period' in transit in containers. Any long delays blow the window of saleability.
The treatment of Dekopon is a lot more controlled than shipping protocols. Amazing that they came up with that.
The Australian Sumo fruit  I see in my shops are very variable, neck, no neck, pebbly skin, smooth skin, round, flat, pear shape.
All from the same one scion variety of Sumo.
Much the same for other Mandarins, fruit are fairly variable in shape and size, without ID stickers can be confusing.

mar3

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 05:17:42 PM »
Sorry, it was NHK. "Begin Japanology: Satsuma Mandarins". https://youtu.be/-tQP6jJX-oo

caladri

• Canada, British Columbia, Salt Spring Island, USDA 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 05:46:21 PM »
I was under the impression that the 20-40 days of dekopon storage post-ripening were not for the increased production of sugars, but the breakdown of acidity, so that the perception of the sweetness is increased (which to be honest has always made me kinda glad that most US and Brazilian growers selling to Canada don't intentionally do that, as I prefer the ones which have the well-developed sweetness and also some robust acidity.)

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 07:31:09 PM »
"20-40 days of dekopon storage post-ripening were not for the increased production of sugars, but the breakdown of acidity,"

This is mostly true to most citrus fruits except lemons.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 10:37:19 PM »
I am picking the majority of my crop now and they are really fantastic.  The ones from my tree are twice the size of the ones I see at the store, not sure why, but they are really great.  Easy peel, sweet, seedless, and the peeled fruit is larger than my fist!  Each segment is about equivalent to a clementine's flesh.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 01:57:52 AM »
I am picking the majority of my crop now and they are really fantastic.  The ones from my tree are twice the size of the ones I see at the store, not sure why, but they are really great.  Easy peel, sweet, seedless, and the peeled fruit is larger than my fist!  Each segment is about equivalent to a clementine's flesh.

Thanks Brian, very encouraging, I' m still not a Dekopon cultivater, but after your report I will get one  8).