Author Topic: Dragonfruit and Bees  (Read 430 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Dragonfruit and Bees
« on: January 23, 2023, 02:45:06 PM »
Does anyone have experience with bees and dragonfruit? I read conflicting information. Some say that bees promote better fruit weight, quality, and fertilization - others report that bees steal all the pollen and leave none even on the stigma.

My experience has been that they often steal all the pollen before I can get to it and use it to cross pollinate - but then again, I had a ton more fruit last year than usual and LOTS of bees. I still hand pollinated as best I could, but maybe I don't need to?

Any firsthand experience would be awesome. I just got bees a month or so ago and looks like they will make it thru winter.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfruit and Bees
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 02:58:09 PM »
https://www.scielo.br/j/rca/a/7KtmqYnxJ5cr6xfybhcsq5C/?lang=en

Here's an article about bees being helpful. What my question really is: can I stop hand pollinating with bees in my yard?

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 08:11:44 PM »
That's Ludacris. Bees 100%. If bees can't pollinate it, it eventually gets the axe. S8, Haley's Comet, PG, dark star, BHR have set fruit without self pollination. Bees do start early, so if you have a problem, I suppose you could tie a rubber band to the flower so you can hand pollinate at night. But that's to much work for me.

I believe  could get better fruit set with PG and dark star if I did hand pollinate, though.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 08:26:03 PM »
That's Ludacris. Bees 100%. If bees can't pollinate it, it eventually gets the axe. S8, Haley's Comet, PG, dark star, BHR have set fruit without self pollination. Bees do start early, so if you have a problem, I suppose you could tie a rubber band to the flower so you can hand pollinate at night. But that's to much work for me.

I believe  could get better fruit set with PG and dark star if I did hand pollinate, though.

I have a lot of self-sterile varieties and get ok fruit set on them with hand pollinating. This past season I had more fruit than ever, but also more bees than ever, so I wondered if it was my doing or theirs. It sounds like it wasn't me and I can just let them handle it! YAY!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 10:57:06 PM »
I definitely get plenty of fruit with help from the bees. Yes, they collect pollen but they pollinate the Stigma.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk