Author Topic: Loquat fruit fly  (Read 887 times)

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
Loquat fruit fly
« on: March 04, 2023, 08:27:49 AM »
I enjoyed my loquat golden nugget for a few years and suddenly i have fruit flies so bad that there is nothing left to eat last a few years. I am thinking about cutting the tree down. Maybe it will reduce their population since i feel like its a breeding ground and it will effect other trees. Is there another loquat variety that ripening earlier when fruit flies are not active?
Please share your thoughts!
Ana
Ana

Aiptasia904

• Orange Park
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat fruit fly
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 08:55:13 AM »
None that I can suggest. You might consider covering the fruiting panicles with nylon fruit protecting bags secured with a zip tie to the branch in the future, or apply a pesticide. Whichever you're more comfortable with. The mesh nylon fruit protector bags are available at amazon.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 03:45:16 PM »
You can try fruit fly traps baited with pheromones or alcohol, vinegar, fermenting sugar solutions. There are various traps out there and the bait will depend on your target.

Simon

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 04:21:53 PM »
 Good idea! Just set a vinegar trap.  It might be a Caribbean fruit fly here. Will see if  i trap anything.
Ana
Ana

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 09:50:42 AM »
DAP can attract them also if it's sold there.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 10:23:33 AM »
Not sure wat dap is...
Trap with apple cider vinegar didn't work since some animal liked the smell and turned it over.
Ana

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 06:33:58 PM »
Take a minute for us in Australia.

I have Fruit Fly in my Loquat fruit.
Lorikeets eating my Loquat Fruit.
Locusts under my Loquat tree.

Is that a Haiku ?
Or a Limerick ?

All this due to changed weather patterns.
Not getting the cold winters so much any more, so fruit fly can overwinter.
Not sure where the Lorikeets came from, only turned up in the last ten years.
Not really complaining about them, beautiful birds, but they can mow thru a fruit tree.
The Locusts, didn't see so many this year, but there was an nymph alert from the Plague Locusts Commission ( a dedicated area of Govt here).
There was a Locust plague some years back, filling the sky. This year it was Dragonflies like never before.

I had one Loquat seedling come up in a shade house, it fruited and missed the fruit fly that got the outdoor trees.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 08:37:24 AM »
Right there with you. Seriously considering cutting our tree down as none of the fruit ends up being edible. Tried traps etc.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 01:49:01 PM »
Right there with you. Seriously considering cutting our tree down as none of the fruit ends up being edible. Tried traps etc.
Every year I ask the wife if I can end the loquat trees existence.... No... Then I sneak around and cut them as low as possible... Next year they fruit again and I watch as none are eaten with all the worms... Repeat process year after year...

Worms pass from loquats to guavas to grumichama.... All wormy and seldom eaten year after year... Unable to break the cycle till I'm allowed to be the "Eliminator". With only 1 of the 3 living in my yard,  I believe I would have a little better odds of a few good fruit in the beginning of fruiting... That would be and is my suggestion to the wife.... No success in the application as her orders are Cease and Desist with those 3 species and chainsaw is not allowed.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 09:25:34 PM »
Interestingly my neighbor have a loquat from seed that doesn't get those flies. It's just feet from my tree and no issues. I know they don't spay. I guess i could ask for a scion..
Ana