Author Topic: Testing my new Chinese lawn mower -- 209cc - $197 at Walmart  (Read 1575 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Testing my new Chinese lawn mower -- 209cc - $197 at Walmart
« on: March 13, 2023, 10:00:52 AM »
5 years ago I bought a Troy Bilt mower w Briggs Stratton engine. The engine has always been easy to pull start and seems improved from previous years. But the deck rusted and cracked within 5 years. This became unusable last month. I was pissed!

So I figured give the Chinese a shot. So far so good. And self propelled.Walmart is easy 90 days return if you don't like it. ---  https://www.walmart.com/ip/PowerSmart-209CC-engine-21-3-in-1-Gas-Self-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-DB2194SH-with-8-Rear-Wheel-rear-Bag-Side-Discharge-and-Mulching/193485183?athbdg=L1100

This is a 209cc monster engine. So for me at least, I can now take mango tree prunings and trimmings, take those mango tree leaves and soft green stems and soft green branches and mulch them back into my lawn. So an easier disposal of these, plus my lawn gets nutrition.

Important -- run this first for 60 minutes. If the oil looks dirty, discard it and put in new oil. The famous (1000 reviews) Harbor Freight vertical shaft lawn mower engines from China. They are Honda clones...... The comment section there said to do this with the engine oil. They claimed due to metal shavings in the oil. That China can clone a Honda engine, but not to Japanese tolerances.
https://www.harborfreight.com/55-hp-173cc-ohv-vertical-shaft-gas-engine-epacarb-69731.html

Try running this mower with the usual 87 octane gasoline that has 10% ethanol.
Then run it on 89 octane with zero ethanol. I bought some at Wawa.
It runs better on ethanol free. My guess is that gasoline in China has zero ethanol. They are not going to take corn that you and animals eat and use it to power internal combustion engines. This would be crazy, and only something that Americans would do :)

This Chinese mower is horizontal shaft with a gearbox. And rear-wheel drive

YouTube has three or more videos demonstrating this 209cc mower.
More details on this Chinese mower if  people express interest
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 08:03:44 PM by zands »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Testing my new Chinese lawn mower -- 209cc - $197 at Walmart
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 10:10:29 AM »
Good thing you got it before we go to war with China!
John

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 11:12:32 AM »
Almost all Chinese stuff I have bought is low quality. When dealing with name brand made in China maybe 95% is built poorly. If it's not name brand it's like 99%. The problem is almost everything is made in China.

It's cheap. They purposely make it so it falls apart so they can sell more. That's their business model which greedy American business men taught them. I'd rather go with German or Japanese.

I recently bought a buck pocket knife due to their reputation. I keep buying knives and within six months the lock breaks so they are unusable. Supposedly stainless steel but rusting. And they all have good reviews on Amazon. No problems with buck so far. Almost everything is junk unless it is a brand with a good reputation like Honda.

Sony used to be made in Japan. Now even Japanese brands are made in China. They are still good products but not as good as when it was Japanese made.

Chinese clones usually are not of the same quality but they are cheaper.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 12:16:05 PM »
Rainman, you can criticize China, but did you see how my American made rusted to death in five years? The steel deck must have been awful quality. The rust peeled off in layers and large flakes from underneath/   

Honda lawnmowers starting at $829.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=HONDA+LAWN+MOWER&crid=2PF8Q380PK51D&sprefix=honda+lawn+mower%2Caps%2C107&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Sony used to be made in Japan. Now even Japanese brands are made in China. They are still good products but not as good as when it was Japanese made.

More like made in Thailand, Asia and China.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 12:18:43 PM by zands »

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 12:35:53 PM »
Personally I think it's not right to categorize items by where they come from; it seems to be a schematics issue. Unless I'm missing something PowerSmart is a US company anyway?

tho I will say, given the 92 1-star reviews that all detail the flawed front axle design I'd rather spend a little more
instagram @trumansacco

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 01:24:35 PM »
Personally I think it's not right to categorize items by where they come from; it seems to be a schematics issue. Unless I'm missing something PowerSmart is a US company anyway?

tho I will say, given the 92 1-star reviews that all detail the flawed front axle design I'd rather spend a little more

Where are these reviews?  Amazon? PowerSmart is located in Illinois. Where my mower was shipped from. The YouTube reviews are solid.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0BVBN7M8V/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 01:28:58 PM by zands »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 02:00:43 PM »
Amazon. They started censoring a lot a few years ago along with Facebook and the rest. 1 star reviews the seller complains and after a few months they get removed. Five star reviews stay up for eternity so you can no longer rely on reviews but they help. Also the sellers push people to immediately give them five stars when it takes a few months to really review a product.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 03:17:52 PM »
I don't think the Chinese mowers, brush cutters, pumps and pole saws are made to fall apart.
They are made to a price point.
Also they are made for single or few uses, some possibly not heavy long term use.
A $200 gasoline pump ( Honda copy ) is great for a one off job to drain your pool, fill a tank etc.
Cheaper than buying or hiring a pump or contractor.
Same for a long reach pole saw. The chain is fine, the motor will trim up a tree once or a few times.
Again cheaper than buying a pro brand, hiring it or getting a contractor.
If you have used other such equipment, you need to assess what you are buying.
If you have mechanical knowledge to maintain and repair them, you will get more out of them.

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 03:55:22 PM »

Where are these reviews?  Amazon? PowerSmart is located in Illinois. Where my mower was shipped from. The YouTube reviews are solid.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0BVBN7M8V/ref=acr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

The reviews come from your own link in the first post, 92 1-star reviews on walmart's website
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 04:00:13 PM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 04:13:57 PM »
One example I bought a Chinese electric bike. In some ways it was really nice. High quality Shimano gear shifter. But the bolts didn't tighten. They kept coming loose. The entire handlebar came off one time almost killing me. This broke thegizmo to start the thing. $100 for a new one. Then the whole thing started glitching then stopped working all together due to a wiring short or something.

It's pretty hard to design a bolt that won't tighten properly. I mean it takes effort. It would be easier to make bolts that work and they only cost like 10 cents. Same with wires it's just a piece of copper. How do you design wires that work for six months then stop working? It's all by design.

They can build stuff that will last 100 years but they won't make money that way. Occasionally you'll get something good but it's rare.

Like knives. This is medieval technology. How does every single knife have a locking mechanism that brakes so the knife flops around and you can't use it. And by definition stainless steel doesn't rust but they get away with selling really low grade stainless that resists rust a bit but still rusts. Stainless costs a few extra cents and pocket knives sell for $20. I paid almost the same price for my buck knife as all these junk knives. It was like $32 instead of $15-$25 range. It's light years better. They just choose to make good knives while other companies choose to make junk. The price difference to produce the two isn't that big

Here's the real difference. Buck only sells one knife and it lasts a lifetime. So they have to make a profit on it and mark up the price. Junk knives they will sell you a new one over and over so they can have really low profit margins and operate on large volume of sales.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 04:17:10 PM by 1rainman »

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 04:32:56 PM »
Expect it to last just until after the warranty expires. I found an infinite warranty glitch, I use a credit card which adds an extended warranty. When the thing breaks down, the credit card company refunds it after I file a claim with documentation of the product failure, the catch is you have to re-purchase the item or something of equal or lesser value to replace it lol. The warranty resets since it's a new purchase.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 04:45:14 PM »
You can do pretty good buying cheap bikes, lawnmowers and so forth if you are good at fixing them yourself but I suck at it.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 04:51:49 PM »
That's why we have landfills--to fill them with cheap Chinese junk.  Pity the poor countries that don't have landfills, but then the stuff eventually ends up in the oceans.  Then pity the fish and, oh yeah, everyone.
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 05:33:43 PM »
Expect it to last just until after the warranty expires. I found an infinite warranty glitch, I use a credit card which adds an extended warranty. When the thing breaks down, the credit card company refunds it after I file a claim with documentation of the product failure, the catch is you have to re-purchase the item or something of equal or lesser value to replace it lol. The warranty resets since it's a new purchase.

Thanks. What card did you use?
I just looked at extended warranty for the card I used. It gets me an additional year past the manufacturer's warranty. The warranty on this mower is three years. I have no idea how reliable this warranty is. Though in the box they included two pages on the warranty, that I will read.

With this mower, I bought 2 years Walmart warranty coverage, that comes via Allstate. $16.

Rust killed my Troy Bilt's deck. Honda makes mowers with plastic decks. So no rust! I saw a used one on Craig's List. Was $350 or so. But did not pursue it

John:
That's why we have landfills--to fill them with cheap Chinese junk.  Pity the poor countries that don't have landfills, but then the stuff eventually ends up in the oceans.  Then pity the fish and, oh yeah, everyone.

China, Indonesia and others are polluting the oceans with discarded plastic bags.

They found that China and Indonesia are the top sources of plastic bottles, bags and other rubbish clogging up global sea lanes. Together, both nations account for more than a third of plastic detritus in global waters, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal. The original source data can be found here.
Chart: The Countries Polluting The Oceans The Most | Statista
www.statista.com/chart/12211/the-countries-polluting-the-oceans-the-most/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 05:36:11 PM by zands »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 06:48:24 PM »
I would love a Honda motorcycle clone but they are illegal in the US. Honda gives permission for them to be sold in China and other places. When something breaks you can replace it with a part from a real Honda in a junk yard or order real Honda parts. So if you work on stuff it's real convenient.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 06:51:40 PM »
I always kinda laugh at the American superiority complex. A lot of the products made here are worse than overseas by a LONG shot. That's what happens when you outsource all your manufacturing for maximizing profits and expect the same profits out of USA made as well. You're going to have cut corners somewhere, and it's not wages, so it'll be materials. As someone who wants to produce new product lines stateside, often it is impossible to find someone who can manufacture a satisfactory product. The most famous skateboard truck brand in existence Independent just offshored all their production to China because the Oakland, CA based casting company was absolutely blowing it on quality - tons of voids, bent axles, broken kingpins, and holes so far off you couldn't even mount them. The new manufacturing quality is pristine and looks machined or forged in comparison.

It's not to say that China doesn't specialize in cheap trashy products for the lowest price and highest profit margin, but that some of the factories over there far surpass American made stuff and this is especially true from Taiwanese products. Taiwan literally owns the entire bicycle and bicycle component market.

Some of these Chinese made engine products are pretty darn good. I was really happy with my Harbor Freight generator which was 1/4 the price of a Honda. As others have noted here, the quality and price of these products matches the needs of homeowners better than would a premium USA, Japanese, or European made product. If it's your bread and butter day job, get a Husqvarna or Stihl, but give me the $200 LingLong please!

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 07:35:09 PM »
It's a chase card

@ K-Rimes a good example of just that, my thermocube which is made in the USA, fell apart after unplugging it with prongs in the outlet. Was never touched for the whole season until I had to move it. I'm on my 2nd one so they have $30 from me haha (yes they are going for $15 everywhere now). They own the patent so have to deal with it but if I find a Chinese clone that works reliably I won't think twice about it now
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 07:38:29 PM by vnomonee »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 07:42:34 PM »
John:

China, Indonesia and others are polluting the oceans with discarded plastic bags.

They found that China and Indonesia are the top sources of plastic bottles, bags and other rubbish clogging up global sea lanes. Together, both nations account for more than a third of plastic detritus in global waters, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal. The original source data can be found here.
Chart: The Countries Polluting The Oceans The Most | Statista
www.statista.com/chart/12211/the-countries-polluting-the-oceans-the-most/
I believe it!
John

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 09:30:36 PM »
https://www.walmart.com/ip/PowerSmart-209CC-engine-21-3-in-1-Gas-Self-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-DB2194SH-with-8-Rear-Wheel-rear-Bag-Side-Discharge-and-Mulching/193485183?athbdg=L1100

This is a 209cc monster engine. So for me at least, I can now take mango tree prunings and trimmings, take those mango tree leaves and soft green stems and soft green branches and mulch them back into my lawn.

My guess is that gasoline in China has zero ethanol. They are not going to take corn that you and animals eat and use it to power internal combustion engines. This would be crazy, and only something that Americans would do :)

YouTube has three or more videos demonstrating this 209cc mower.
More details on this Chinese mower if  people express interest

Well, darkness on my mango trees so time to look for some fun... Ahhhhh Lawnmower Stories::: lol...

The approximately 40% 1Star reviews on WMT website listed above are amusing.

A significant number of people I believe are scared of the Monster Mower described by Zands "The Lawnmower will drag you. Is DANGEROUS. You will pull a hammy, tear and ACL and fall down::: posted 8/18/22
Posted 8/27/22: "The mower would rise up in front when the propelled handle was partially in service". "You actually had to run to keep up with it."
Posted 7/27/22: "It runs away and difficulty to control".
Posted 9/2/22::: "Once going, the self propelling mechanism is all or nothing. And "all" is very fast. You can attempt to hold it midway, but it is awkward..... Maybe a strip of velcro to hold  it at the level you want might do the trick."   

Can't wait to go to youtube videos of the Monster Mower dragging helpless lost souls round the yard with velcro bindings... lol... lol...

Thanks for the laughs....   ;D

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2023, 10:27:37 PM »
High end bicycles are usually made in Europe or Japan. Like guitars as an example Chinese made are the worst even the same brand and model Korean maybe Japanese are the best quality while not being too expensive. Mexican is decent but not as high quality as Korean. American made is over priced but there for more expensive models.

It's rare for China to have good quality. Their focus is on quantity and cheap but that may be what you want sometimes and occasionally it lasts.

Practically nothing is made in USA because we have the world's most valuable currency. Without tariffs we can't compete. A Mexican making $8 an hour enjoys the same lifestyle as an American making $25 an hour. The corporations are too greedy to allow tariffs and they donate big money to politicians.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2023, 09:41:26 AM »
YouTube videos for this mower. There are about 4 other YouTube vids

Lawn Mower TEST - Mowing Thick Tall Grass with the Powersmart 209cc Horizontal Shaft Mower WORTH IT?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mHMURqXxA

Powersmart 209cc 21" STRONG gas mower review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4HSpT2awKY

A significant number of people I believe are scared of the Monster Mower described by Zands "The Lawnmower will drag you. Is DANGEROUS. You will pull a hammy, tear and ACL and fall down::: posted 8/18/22
Posted 8/27/22: "The mower would rise up in front when the propelled handle was partially in service". "You actually had to run to keep up with it."
Posted 7/27/22: "It runs away and difficulty to control".
Posted 9/2/22::: "Once going, the self propelling mechanism is all or nothing. And "all" is very fast. You can attempt to hold it midway, but it is awkward..... Maybe a strip of velcro to hold  it at the level you want might do the trick."   

This CCP mower is a rear wheel drive/ self propelled mower. If you lift the front wheels a bit, then it does move fast! You must run it with all 4 wheels touching the ground. Then the speed is same as American mowers, that have decks that rust to death within five years.

When you make a turn, let go of the self propel bar. Then you will have no runaway lawnmower. So make the turn. Then resume the self propelled...which goes at a moderate, non- adjustable pace.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:40:30 AM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2023, 02:56:46 PM »
$150 Honda Clone vs $600 Honda? Let’s settle this! Fuel Efficiency, Horsepower, Durability, Starting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtUtORbNLsA

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2023, 09:21:27 PM »
209cc?

And I thought my 195cc Briggs/Toro mower was the big dog.  ;D

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2023, 01:22:01 AM »
Weibang is the best lawn mower made in China. I almost bought one from Home Depot a few yrs ago. For some reason they stopped selling them in America but they sell them in the UK and other countries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nR-VMCYV-c
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 08:08:21 PM by GFC »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2023, 08:25:44 AM »
My purchasing preferences in order:

Made in the U.S.A by U.S brands (getting harder all the time)
Made in the U.S.A  by foreign brands
Made in Europe
Other Asian countries like Japan, Korea, Taiwan.

China dead last and only then when any of the above are not available.

Folks these decisions made the World dependent on a country that for some reason sees the rest of the free world as enemies despite the west saving them from Japan in WW2 and enabling their rise to superpower status.

Regards,

Gary