Author Topic: Embarrassed by my Baboon lemon…. worth keeping it?  (Read 1031 times)

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Embarrassed by my Baboon lemon…. worth keeping it?
« on: March 18, 2023, 10:17:46 AM »
Hey everyone, I have limited space in my greenhouse and just got my first fruit of my baboon lemon. It was a nice size and looked good and was looking forward to making a couple of cocktails for myself and a friend, but was very embarrassed with the amount of juice I got from it, less than a tablespoon.

What do I do? Will it get better as the tree ages, or did it need more water etc. Or do I get rid of it in an attempt to save my reputation as a tropical cocktail connoisseur?

Here is what’s left after I crushed it trying to salvage my cocktail.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Embarrassed by my Baboon lemon…. worth keeping it?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 10:23:50 AM »
There is still a lot of juice in it.  Your tree will produce better lemons as it gets older.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 01:33:02 PM »
How were the cocktails ?
Any different to using regular Lemon or Lime ?
I hear it has flavour elements of both.
Sounds interesting.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 01:40:06 PM »
There is a reason that the Baboon Lemon is not used commercially.  t is a seed factory.  Keeping the lemon is up to you.  I would rather spend my time growing a worthwhile lemon cultivar.

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 03:19:14 PM »
How were the cocktails ?
Sounds interesting.

It was ok, I like citrus with sparkling water and a nice blanco tequila. Usually in a 1:1 of juice to tequila. The flavour was ok, the half ounce of tequila was the most dissapointing. I much prefer a red or persian lime flavour wise, also I can usually get 2 oz of juice per fruit.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 08:17:11 PM »
The grocery store types eureka and lisbon are nice and productive.  Limequats are good if you are looking for single serve juice to squeeze into a drink. 

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 11:57:20 PM »
How were the cocktails ?
Sounds interesting.

It was ok, I like citrus with sparkling water and a nice blanco tequila. Usually in a 1:1 of juice to tequila. The flavour was ok, the half ounce of tequila was the most dissapointing. I much prefer a red or persian lime flavour wise, also I can usually get 2 oz of juice per fruit.
How does the red lime taste?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 12:00:56 AM »
Red lime has sour orange taste, it isn't anything like a typical lime.  It tastes like a rangpur&kumquat hybrid

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 02:07:58 AM »
There seems to be a few " Red Limes". 
Some of the Rangpur types are called Red Limes, but they seem to be pretty much Rangpur with orange or darker orange skin.
https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus-varieties/category-or-type/rangpur-limes
None of there are particularly red.
A lot of these are very similar, possibly some have been lost and mixed up over the years ?
Excalibur Red Lime is on this list, not strictly a Rangpur, but not red pulped either.

There are also Red Limes that have red skin and red pulp, a little more mandarin like with sour juice.
Anybody growing any of these ?
Some on the Citrusgrowersforum posted pics years ago.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 12:07:01 PM »
I believe I have the "excalibur red hybrid" though it was simply labelled red lime.  And yes it is dark orange rather than red, even the description says "as red as a honeybell tangelo" which isn't red at all

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 01:27:11 PM »
Rispa,
I like the red lime (kumquat rangpur hybrid) mostly because it is unique and very productive. Up here it’s hard to buy interesting citrus. The red is cool cause it has a unique flavour if you are used to standard citrus (lemon lime orange) and u can eat the peel. It’s also very everbearing and productive, just over our long dark cold winter and it already has 7 fully ripe and 16 fully formed fruits on. 4ft tree in a 25 gallon pot. They are also a good size, like a good Persian lime. Onlyissue is the seeds, I cut them in half and flick  the seeds out before a crush it in a cocktail.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 06:58:00 AM »
Rispa,
I like the red lime (kumquat rangpur hybrid) mostly because it is unique and very productive. Up here it’s hard to buy interesting citrus. The red is cool cause it has a unique flavour if you are used to standard citrus (lemon lime orange) and u can eat the peel. It’s also very everbearing and productive, just over our long dark cold winter and it already has 7 fully ripe and 16 fully formed fruits on. 4ft tree in a 25 gallon pot. They are also a good size, like a good Persian lime. Onlyissue is the seeds, I cut them in half and flick  the seeds out before a crush it in a cocktail.

That's awesome and sounds delicious. I enjoy the smell and flavor of both, so the combination of rangpur and kumquat sounds very appealing. I'm have to try to get some seeds of one

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 03:58:27 PM »
Im also in favor of the 'red lime'. Although Im not too sure which I have now. It does look exactly like the picture Rispa posted.

I can drink the red lime juice straight out of the fruit as its not overly sour and limey but has mellow notes of a floral (watery?) lime. It is my favorite lime to make lime water with and ive been told it can tolerate down to 15 degrees for short instances.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk