Author Topic: Help! Meyer Lemon Trees Unhappy  (Read 599 times)

Mb2017

• Charleston, SC
    • View Profile
Help! Meyer Lemon Trees Unhappy
« on: October 19, 2023, 10:45:05 AM »
Hi! I live at Sullivanís Island, SC. We are on the marsh, near the beach. I have two potted Meyers lemon trees and they have begun dropping their leaves, leaves turning brown, and fruit splitting before it ripens. Please help!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Meyer Lemon Trees Unhappy
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 03:19:43 PM »
At this point I would not be worried about the current fruit crop and focus on trying to get the plant healthy again.  The most noticeable thing in your photos is that the remaining leaves look quite old but I do not see any young leaves.  When was the last time your tree put out a flush of new growth?

I suggest removing the tree from the pot and inspecting the roots, see if there is rot, see how large the root ball is compared to the container it is in.  Is there stagnant water?  Large dry areas?  If the root ball is small compared to the container I suggest putting it in a smaller container until it starts growing new roots.

How much light does it receive?  The location looks pretty bright.  And I assume it must be fairly warm there, certainly warmer than where I am at and I just put my Meyer Lemon in the greenhouse a week or two ago.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 04:43:06 PM »
Did you recently buy this tree? Looks like a baby that maybe went through shock and will recover. Looks grafted. For small bushes in a pot I suggest rooted cuttings. Even on dwarf root stock grafted roots get too big.

Mortimer

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 11:32:13 PM »
Hi! I live at Sullivanís Island, SC. We are on the marsh, near the beach. I have two potted Meyers lemon trees and they have begun dropping their leaves, leaves turning brown, and fruit splitting before it ripens. Please help!

fnaf security breach

Meyer lemon trees prefer well-draining soil. Ensure that the soil is not consistently waterlogged, as overwatering can lead to root rot and other issues. On the other hand, consistently dry soil can stress the tree. Make sure you are providing adequate water, especially during hot and dry periods.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 10:31:34 AM »
How long has the tree been growing in that same medium?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 04:50:17 AM »
I agree with Brian's comments, and I would also cut off all the fruits, it is stressing that skinny tree. Give it some (slightly) fertilizer and it should be fine. You may need to cut down some of the wimpy branches so it can grow stronger new one.