Author Topic: Pictures of flowering seedlings  (Read 978 times)

Zagara

• France North
    • View Profile
Pictures of flowering seedlings
« on: October 24, 2023, 04:39:31 AM »
Hello everyone,

do you have a picture of Citrus trees, from seed, that have flowerd and fruited?

Like you, I am a citrus enthusiast. I try to read a lot on citrus, so i read a lot on the subject of flowering seedlings, but I never saw a picture of a flowering citrus from seed.

I myself have a young tree (at least 10 years old) but no flowers. I will put a photo soon.

Please share your pictures of flowering citrus from seeds with, if possible, the aproximate age of your tree.

Hope you got some :)

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures of flowering seedlings
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 06:56:49 AM »
3 year old 5 * Citrumelo seedlings tree in flower

3 year old seedling tree Citrumelo in fruit

Fruits from 4 year old Citrange seedling.

Citrumelo fruits from 3 year old seedling.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 07:32:37 AM by kumin »

Zagara

• France North
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 09:10:45 AM »
Thank you very much Kumin. That's awesome

May I add a few questions?

you just let the seeds germinate and grow and then they flowered after 3 years ?
Or did you try to accelerate the process by grafting the seedlings to a stronger plant or by using another special method ?

Are the seeds speciale? I mean were they selected for being specially fast flowering or for being a good rootstock or something like this you think? (Citrange and citrumelo are mainly use for rootstock right?)

Does someone have images from a seed from an eating fruit from the shops or from your garden (orange lemons pomelos pompelmo mandarine etc) that have flowered ?

Best regards

Zagara

• France North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 09:15:49 AM »
Here are some photos of a tree that is suposedly from a seed of a pomelo (I mean a citrus paradisi). It was germinate some time ago by my aunt.

It has been growing at our home for at least 8 years, and was not a very young seedling when it first arrives.

That's why I say it is at least 10 years old. Probably a bit more..  but it never flowered...:(

3 sides of the plant :

The trunks:

The foliage at the end of different trunks :

« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 09:24:29 AM by Zagara »

Zagara

• France North
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 09:27:05 AM »
Please do not hesitate to put pictures if you have more flowering trees from seed!!
And why not also if you have "old" non flowering trees from seed :)

Best regards

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 09:38:01 AM »
I accelerated mine by growing in heated well light enclosure to get 3 years growth in 1 year.

In another 8 months I picked the tree's first 2 kumquats.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 10:10:05 AM »
poncirsguy, do you have any photos of your tree and fruits of that one after it fruited?

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 10:13:03 AM »
It's in a tiny pot with thin trunks. It needs to mature or be close to maturity to fruit. That looks like it could be several seedlings fused together. I would cut it down to one trunk and get a much bigger pot for fruit.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 10:15:46 AM »
I plant a lot of different citrus seeds just for fun. I did get one very good tasting seedling tree. I planted a bad tasting large Chinese pomelo fruit seeds before I cut off the large grafted branch from my Tangelo tree.

After 7 years, the seedling tree had it's first fruits. The tree grew really strong, still in the pot that I planted the seeds in. The taste of this seedling pomelo fruit is one of my best ones. Better than most of the UCR CCPP budwood varieties they sell.

Here's the photo of the fruit, I will try to find the old photos of the tree and post them later.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 10:22:03 AM »
zagara, your pomelo tree looks very small for that old a tree. Maybe if you have space in your yard, you should plant it in ground. My seedling tree was over 10 ft tall and trunk diameter of 3" when it was 7 years old and had the first fruits.

Now my pomelo tree is very large, over 18 ft tall, need to cut it back to 14 feet every year and it gets nice size fruits every season here in SoCal. I even grafted my scion wood from the seedling 3 yrs ago to my rare variegated Valencia Orange tree and has many large fruits on the new grafts. I will take some photos to show you how fast this pomelo seedling grows and fruits well for me. The grafted branch is now over 10 feet long so I need to let it hang sideways to get fruits low enough for me to pick.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 10:23:05 AM »
zagara, for a pomelo tree, your leaves look awfully small.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2023, 11:37:52 AM »
Zagara from your photos it looks like you actually have 3 separate trees growing in the same container.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 11:52:35 AM »
There was an article floating around where someone in the Midwest had a potted grapefruit that was 50-60 years old and they mentioned it never flowered

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 11:57:08 AM »
Thank you very much Kumin. That's awesome

May I add a few questions?

you just let the seeds germinate and grow and then they flowered after 3 years ?
Or did you try to accelerate the process by grafting the seedlings to a stronger plant or by using another special method ?

Are the seeds speciale? I mean were they selected for being specially fast flowering or for being a good rootstock or something like this you think? (Citrange and citrumelo are mainly use for rootstock right?)

Does someone have images from a seed from an eating fruit from the shops or from your garden (orange lemons pomelos pompelmo mandarine etc) that have flowered ?

Best regards
There was no special precocious breeding stock involved. The seedlings were planted rather closely together, which resulted in upright, tall growth. In most cases, the tallest trees fruited first.
Not all of the seedlings fruited this early. The shorter, more dwarfish trees haven't fruited yet. The trees in the unheated cold frame are fruiting about a year sooner than the same clones out of doors. Many of the first fruits appear following late season blooms.
As far as additional cultural practices, I never prune the trees until they set their first fruits.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 11:59:21 AM by kumin »

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2023, 10:00:21 PM »
flowering now fruiting Meiwa kumquat seedling

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2023, 12:17:52 AM »
Wow, nice tree with lots of fruits on your Meiwa kumquat. My Meiwa only gets a few small fruits each year.

Zagara

• France North
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2023, 07:40:22 AM »
Poncirusguy, thank you for the input and your example👍

sc4oo, that's an awsome example !! What a beautyfull fruit thanks a lot!!

About my tree I think I got confuse between french and english names.  It was suposedly from a C.paradisi, a grape fruit, not a pomelo, my bad.

I leave in northern france so I don't think i could plant it in  the ground . But I understand from your advices (and from rainman's also) that the tree should be taller to flower meaning that age is not the only factor. I will try to make it grow taller.

About the multiple trunks: before I thought it was multiple seedlings that grew and fused together like rainman and millet. Now that I have read a bit more on citrus, I thought it was maybe a polyembryonic seedling that has developed multiple trunks.

Do someone knows  a method to know for sure (if it is important to know)?

Vnomonee, do you remember if this particularly old nonflowering citrus was also particularly small?

Kumin, thanks a lot for your complete answer . I'm quit happy to have found this forum :)

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2023, 09:50:02 AM »
poncirsguy, do you have any photos of your tree and fruits of that one after it fruited?

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2023, 10:31:31 AM »
Most citrus I've seen fruit in five to seven years but I have seen some that don't seem to ever fruit but I always assumed they would eventually

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2023, 12:55:16 PM »
Time to flowering from seed.

Almost all sweet oranges, and grapefruit require 7 -10 years to first flowering.
Calomondin & Key Lime 2 to 3 years
Mandarins 3 to 5 years

I have a Sour Orange that I planted from seed and it took 10 years to flower.  Today it is about 10 feet tall.