Author Topic: My Breadfruit Protection Project  (Read 11932 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
My Breadfruit Protection Project
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »
I figured i would start a new post to illustrate this weekends project.  With the help of Brandon, we did it in about a day and a half.  Couldn't have done it without his help, and many thanks. .....

This project began in a rush, without much planning, as a cold front is making its way to S. Fla Monday night.  When I planted this tree, I knew the risks and I told myself I wouldn't try to protect it from our occasional winter cool blasts.  But, this tree has almost rudely had a way of changing my idea of just letting it be when it decided to pop out 5 fruit in January.  Go figure.

Anyway, here is what we did:

I decided on using wood to frame out the structure.  I knew going into the build that wood is not exactly a long lived material here in S. Florida.  I thought about using steel fence posts used in chain link fences, but realized the cost was about 3x that of wood.  Brandon discussed with me using steel conduit, which seemed like a reasonable idea.  I ended using wood because I figured I would have and easier time fastening the plastic sheeting to the wood.  Using wood definately may have been a mistake as far as longevity is concerned,  I'll find out soon enough.

Posts, I used 4x4's, in 8 foot length.  We dug post holes, and concreted in the 4x4's.  Height was extended with 2x4's, mounted on metal brackets, adding about 3 feet of height.   We set out a 8x12 area around the tree, and after the posts set, built up the rest of the structure.

The posts and framing took up a good bit of time.  The cost for all materials including concrete, screws, etc was about 100$

On day # 2, I went back to home depot and purchased some 6 mil plastic sheeting.  This is not the UV protected kind, but I had to use what was available.  We cut the sheeting, and attached the two long sides in a semi-permanent fashion.  I intend on leaving the two long sides up until march or so.  The smaller sides we cut the plastic to size and attached it on the top of the structure.  The rest of it we rolled up and left it up top, waiting to be rolled down and tacked on the eve of an impending front.  !/2 of the roof we covered semi permanently with the plastic sheeting, and the other half with an agricultural frost cloth, rolled up , waiting to be tacked down the eve of a cold front.

Inside the structure we placed a rain barrel full of water, heated by two aquarium heaters. 

So there it is. 

Would I do it again?  Maybe, maybe not.  It was a lot of work, cost me about 200$ total, I have no idea how long it will last, and I have no idea if it will work well or not.

Time will tell ..

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:51:07 PM by murahilin »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: My Breadfruit Protection Project
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »
Very cool use of the rain barrel and aquarium heaters to keep up the heat and humidity.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:59:56 PM »
If it's treated wood and you go back and paint it with exterior paint it should last over 10 years. I'm sure it will do the trick. Are you planning on using any heating? Maybe a few lights would help to bring the temperatures up a few degrees?
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 12:59:39 AM »
The things we do for our plants, dont forget to vent it on warm days.

Great job and good luck!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:57 AM »
Nice job.  Yeah, I am thinking that some additional heat might be necessary.  A spot light that generates some additional heat might do the trick.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:59 AM »
Awesome job on the protection. Textbook quality stuff! Looks like there should only be cold for two nights on this coldfront. The latest weather info indicates a low of 47degrees for Fort Lauderdale with winds at 21mph, so those winds will dessicate big leafed trees like Breadfruit.   

MON: 86hi 47lo
TUE: 63hi 54lo
WED: 75hi 71lo
THU: 80hi 71lo 

Windy weather will make frost very unlikely. Save me a spot when you do your breadfruit fritter tasting in the spring! I will bring the cold Coronas!   
FloridaGreenMan

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 04:11:34 PM »
Thanks Guys !  Final touches going in and closing her up ..

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 04:40:34 PM »
Those halogen lights put out a lot of heat.  I bet once that thing is closed up, it will get nice and cozy inside there.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 06:19:44 PM »
Nice.....exactly what I had in mind. If it were me, I would also stick my indoor/outdoor temperature sensor inside so that I could have something to look at every 10 minutes during the night inside where it was warm.   ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »
I would also use some old quilts. I've done the plastic before. It did very little to keep the heat in.
I'll be doing the same next year on my breadfruit.

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »
I wouldn't also add a small digital heater set to maybe 60-65. Away from everything.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »
Yeah, not sure how warm it will stay inside there.  It's a big area.  A few degrees should be sufficient, and 10 degrees would be great.  I thought about going double walls with a 4" air pocket to help with insulating if needed, but that would increase the work and cost a bit.  A digital space heater would be a nice addition as well.  Tonight should be a decent trial run. 

I do need some sort of thermometer though so I can tell what's going on in there.

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 12:17:37 PM »
How did you do? Did you take a temp reading in the morning?
I hope you did ok.
Kevin:)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
It looks like it should work quite well. Best of luck with your project. If any of those 4 fruitlets make it to harvest you will feel your efforts would be very worth every penny. Even if your tree comes through with no cold damage it should feel like a great reward for your efforts.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 08:37:34 PM »
SleepDoc...
What was the final outcome of this whole thing? Was there any cold damage at all?
FloridaGreenMan

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 09:51:24 AM »

I'm betting the tree did fine...I think the 2 mornings in question was Tues and Wed. and both mornings in S.FL
only reached mid to upper 40's and it was only for a short while...I'm sure it fared very well!

Nice shelter Sleepdoc!!!

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 10:07:42 AM »
Thanks guys.  The first night/morning the tree was all nice and covered, cozy, and the low was 48.  I did not have a thermometer in the structure, but when I went inside it felt about 10 degrees colder than the outside. 

Then there was an issue on the second night..... I opened up the structure a bit during the day, as I wanted the tree to see a bit more light. The forecast overnight low showed things warming up with a low of 58. I felt that with the temps warming up, it wouldn't need to be covered overnight anyway.  Unfortunately I was called into work early, and I had no access to the tree from 3pm until 9am.  When I checked the weather at midnight, it was 47!   Seriously?  Colder than the previous night when I had the structure all closed up and warmed.

Lesson Learned.  Don't trust the forecast.

Yesterday the tree looked good, but I don't think I'll be able to get a good idea on damage for a few more days . 

Next week there are a few nights in the 50's forecast.  I'll try to be more vigilant going foreword.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
good looking tree.

I would suspect that the thin plastic would shed heat quicker than the rain barrel could release its heat.  But it still a slick idea for having something pull double duty.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »
One thing to keep in mind when growing so called ultra tropicals is that it's not only low temperatures that will damage them, but also wide temperature fluctuations for long periods of time. Here during winter daytime temperatures will be around 75F during the day and about 65F at night. During summer it is usually around 85F during the day and about 70F at night. So they get between 10-15 degrees temperature variation in their native range. If you get daytime temperatures in S. Florida of 85F and then at night it dips to 40F then you have a variation of 45 degrees, or about 3x more than they are accustomed to. So i would advise to try to lower that variation even when temperatures are not going to go down very low. A steady temperature will keep the ultra tropicals a whole lot more happy! It's not just about protecting them from dips into very low temperatures. Also remember that young plants are a lot more susceptible to damage than well established trees. I've never lived in a place with very low temperatures, but i do see here what makes them happy and thriving. Also you can see effects of wide temperature fluctuations on these plants right here at higher elevations. They will grow but never fruit at all, or very little.
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 08:07:08 PM »
One thing to keep in mind when growing so called ultra tropicals is that it's not only low temperatures that will damage them, but also wide temperature fluctuations for long periods of time. Here during winter daytime temperatures will be around 75F during the day and about 65F at night. During summer it is usually around 85F during the day and about 70F at night. So they get between 10-15 degrees temperature variation in their native range. If you get daytime temperatures in S. Florida of 85F and then at night it dips to 40F then you have a variation of 45 degrees, or about 3x more than they are accustomed to. So i would advise to try to lower that variation even when temperatures are not going to go down very low. A steady temperature will keep the ultra tropicals a whole lot more happy! It's not just about protecting them from dips into very low temperatures. Also remember that young plants are a lot more susceptible to damage than well established trees. I've never lived in a place with very low temperatures, but i do see here what makes them happy and thriving. Also you can see effects of wide temperature fluctuations on these plants right here at higher elevations. They will grow but never fruit at all, or very little.

Thanks for that info Oscar.  Makes sense.  The tree looks pretty decent right now.  I'll try to keep the temps as steady as possible during the next cool snap.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
It looks like another test is coming Wednesday. I have a turkey fryer if we get into the 30's.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »
It looks like another test is coming Wednesday. I have a turkey fryer if we get into the 30's.

True, and this front seems like it will last a bit longer.  Getting a decent thermometer on monday, so I'll be better equipped to evaluate what is happening inside the shelter.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 01:20:14 AM »

True, and this front seems like it will last a bit longer.  Getting a decent thermometer on monday, so I'll be better equipped to evaluate what is happening inside the shelter.

Suggest min-max recording thermometer... just in case you didn't already think of it. Good luck to everybody with their plants!
Oscar

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »
What was the temp. last night? Tonight will be the real test, I have that turkey fryer if you want to try it.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 02:37:03 PM »
Last night the sensor in the structure saw a low of 60.5 F.

That was about 4 degrees above ambient.  I am hoping that as the ambient temp gets lower, the differential will increase.  I may add anther halogen light and garbage can full of water. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk