Author Topic: Borers suck, need a new avocado..."Florida Haas"?  (Read 21981 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Borers suck, need a new avocado..."Florida Haas"?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 12:57:18 AM »
Rob, Echo also considers Choquette and Monroe high quality. Sorry these avos are not high quality compared to what we already have here, maybe they are high quality in Florida only.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 01:02:53 AM »
Rob, Echo also considers Choquette and Monroe high quality. Sorry these avos are not high quality compared to what we already have here, maybe they are high quality in Florida only.
I agree with you on Choquette and Monroe though they are big sellers here...go figure.

I sent you a PM.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
Ahh OK. Now I see why you don't like the wurtz. The haas is one of my favorite fruits. Growing up california probably has something to do with that. But I can eat them things like they were mangos. YEEE HAWW YUMMY!

Get a hawaiian avocado: Nishikawa; Fujikawa; Malama; Kahaluu. 
With all respect to Florida avocados, they are not as tasty as a hawaiian avocado.  As a matter of fact, I have one choquette that I really enjoy eating it towards the end of the season.  However, hawaiian avocados are the best, in my humble opinion. 

I believe that  nurseries in Fort Myers may carry hawaiian avocados.  Call the Treehouse nursery and also call Fruitscapes.  They should be able to locate one.

Hi Berto, you took the words right out of my mouth. I bought some Florida avocados to trial here and they pale in comparison to any of our cultivars. BTW, i think Wurtz is one of the worstz aovs i have planted here. Don't think very highly of ever present Hass either. You Florida folks are really missing out on the really good avocados!
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »
:D Deal! Thanks.

One of these days I'm hoping to try a wurtz! I've had a tree for about 3 years. It sets little fruits then drops them. I've heard mixed opinions on it. Oscar calls it one of the 'wurst' avocados, but I've heard others highly praise it. So, I'm hoping to get to try one this year.

U yankin my chain cowboy. The lula has a distinct sweetness to it. To the native floridian who's used to west indies race avocadoes, it may be undectable. But to someone like me who's grown up eating mexican race avocadoes -- it's sweet.

Funnily, I did a quick google search of 'lula sweet' and the 2nd hit says "The fruit of the Lula avocado tree has a slightly sweet taste." Guess I"m not the only one :-)

I'm not knocking lula -- it's a good cado. But, the FL hass is nearly identical in flavor to the california hass (probably why they called it hass :-). At any rate, my opinion is strongly biased towards mexican x guatemalan race avocadoes having grown up surrounded by thousands of acres of hass/pinkerton avocado orchards.

Sorry Jeff, I am going to have to disagree totally with your description of the Florida Haas.  Wurtz is way closer to the Cali Haas when the Cali Haas is at it best.
Me thinks you still have California on the brain  ;) :P

Whats your thoughts on the Wurtz ?  need to get you in a blind taste test with a Wurtz, a Haas and a Florida Haas...would love to see how you do  :)
When in season, maybe we can meet at Harry's for a sampling of fruit and I will bring some.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »
:D Deal! Thanks.

One of these days I'm hoping to try a wurtz! I've had a tree for about 3 years. It sets little fruits then drops them. I've heard mixed opinions on it. Oscar calls it one of the 'wurst' avocados, but I've heard others highly praise it. So, I'm hoping to get to try one this year.

U yankin my chain cowboy. The lula has a distinct sweetness to it. To the native floridian who's used to west indies race avocadoes, it may be undectable. But to someone like me who's grown up eating mexican race avocadoes -- it's sweet.

Funnily, I did a quick google search of 'lula sweet' and the 2nd hit says "The fruit of the Lula avocado tree has a slightly sweet taste." Guess I"m not the only one :-)

I'm not knocking lula -- it's a good cado. But, the FL hass is nearly identical in flavor to the california hass (probably why they called it hass :-). At any rate, my opinion is strongly biased towards mexican x guatemalan race avocadoes having grown up surrounded by thousands of acres of hass/pinkerton avocado orchards.

Sorry Jeff, I am going to have to disagree totally with your description of the Florida Haas.  Wurtz is way closer to the Cali Haas when the Cali Haas is at it best.
Me thinks you still have California on the brain  ;) :P

Whats your thoughts on the Wurtz ?  need to get you in a blind taste test with a Wurtz, a Haas and a Florida Haas...would love to see how you do  :)
When in season, maybe we can meet at Harry's for a sampling of fruit and I will bring some.
I guess I will have to fill Harry in on the plans  :) 8)
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »
Now you guys are going to make me buy a Hawaiian Avocado. Oscar, Which would you recommend as the best? I need one that is more of a low spreading type instead of an upright grower.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 05:53:57 PM »
Now you guys are going to make me buy a Hawaiian Avocado. Oscar, Which would you recommend as the best? I need one that is more of a low spreading type instead of an upright grower.

#1 rated: Kahaluu
#2 rated: Malama
But there are many other excellent ones.
Low spreading tree is achieved by early pruning.
Oscar

ShowmeyourKeitts

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 08:55:24 PM »
Thanks guys for all of the replies.  Still undecided though.  Has anybody done the two trees in one hole thing with avocadoes?  I'm getting short on space....
Maybe a type A and a type B that bloom close enough together?  I assume that would be beneficial production-wise to both trees...
Still leaning toward a Mex-type avocado...Bacon and a Haas?

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »
Jsvands5,
My kahaluu has a spreading growing habit. The Nishikawa grows more upright.  Nishikawa has adapted very well here is SW Florida. My tree is loaded with little fruits. Kahaluu has not fruited, yet, but is growing quite well.  According to a fellow collector, that has tasted kahaluu, it is one the best avocados in the world.  It has one of the highest oil content.  Go Hawaii! Aloha all the way!

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 11:05:45 PM »
Berto,

Where did you find your Kahaluu Avocado at? I would like to find a Linda or a Kahaluu Avocado.

Thanks, Joe.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 11:46:34 PM »
Berto,

Where did you find your Kahaluu Avocado at? I would like to find a Linda or a Kahaluu Avocado.

Thanks, Joe.

Linda is also a very good avocado and very large in size. This one was rated #3 in Hawaii, but is not really a Hawaiian cultivar. I believe it is a California developed avocado.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 09:52:35 AM »
Joe,
It was a gift from a friend. I got a small grafted tree.  See the post I wrote "upstairs".  You may find a kahaluu in Pine Island, Florida.  I will send you a message with names and phone numbers of possible sources of kahaluu.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »
I got a hold of Tree house. They said they only have Nishikawa in stock now. Any opinions on that one?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 04:42:33 AM »
I got a hold of Tree house. They said they only have Nishikawa in stock now. Any opinions on that one?

Nishikawa is also a very nice avo. I guess somebody is trying to grow it in Florida:
Nishikawa Avocado Growing in So Florida
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 06:21:41 AM »
Thanks guys for all of the replies.  Still undecided though.  Has anybody done the two trees in one hole thing with avocadoes?  I'm getting short on space....
Maybe a type A and a type B that bloom close enough together?  I assume that would be beneficial production-wise to both trees...
Still leaning toward a Mex-type avocado...Bacon and a Haas?

Big growers here swear by duo planting them A + B in one hole. Try to match up growth habits as much as possible though. Bacon should be your best match pollination wise for Hass, or Sharwill if you have that type there?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »
Sharwil is a nice Australian avocado that is the most popular commercial type here. Would also probably do very well in Florida.
Oscar

ShowmeyourKeitts

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 06:46:11 PM »
I've got a 7 gallon Fl Haas located, anybody seen a Bacon avocado plant for sale in Central/SW Florida?

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 10:07:53 PM »
When do Florida Haas bear in Florida?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2012, 07:53:23 AM »
I've apparently missed the boat on Hawaiian avocados.  Would love to try some.  I recognize the obvious difference, especially in oil content, between many of the popular avocados here and those that are available from elsewhere.  There really isn't an avocado that I dislike....there are some that are better though than others, without question.  Haas is no doubt good, but it is so small that you need several in the smallest of preparations. And, a throng of them if you want to do some serious food production. Of the avocados that I grow, Monroe is my favorite and the favorite of my customers.  It doesn't have the oil content of Haas.  One of my customers summed it up in stating a preference for my Monroe over Haas.  He said, "Haas to him was like a good vegetable....but my Monroe, was like a fine fruit." I know that is a contradiction in terms, but some folks do prefer the less oily Florida avocados over the more oily ones.  This is another example of personal preference and usually stems from what you are used to eating....especially from childhood.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »
To echo what Harry said, you might be surprised how many people prefer the lower-oil content avocados over the California/Mexican types. People from the Caribbean in particular show a strong preference for the West Indian types and West Indian/Guatemalan hybrids.

Speaking of avos....finally got some Oro Negro trees. Speculated to be a cross of Monroe and a Mexican type.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:10 AM »
http://www.myavocadotrees.com/

That's the website for the person in the video Oscar posted. He has a bunch of different Hawaiian avocados that he is experimenting with.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 06:53:44 PM »
I've apparently missed the boat on Hawaiian avocados.  Would love to try some.  I recognize the obvious difference, especially in oil content, between many of the popular avocados here and those that are available from elsewhere.  There really isn't an avocado that I dislike....there are some that are better though than others, without question.  Haas is no doubt good, but it is so small that you need several in the smallest of preparations. And, a throng of them if you want to do some serious food production. Of the avocados that I grow, Monroe is my favorite and the favorite of my customers.  It doesn't have the oil content of Haas.  One of my customers summed it up in stating a preference for my Monroe over Haas.  He said, "Haas to him was like a good vegetable....but my Monroe, was like a fine fruit." I know that is a contradiction in terms, but some folks do prefer the less oily Florida avocados over the more oily ones.  This is another example of personal preference and usually stems from what you are used to eating....especially from childhood.

Harry

I'm like you Harry and like almost all the avos. But that's also true with almost all the mangos as well. With avos like mangos there are still degrees of goodness, some being better than others. I don't particularly like the super oily types. It seems most breeding programs for commercial plantings are selecting ever higher oil content. And that is why doctors advise people watching their weight not to eat avos. They don't know about low oil content types that still have good taste and texture. But i'm getting off subject. What i meant to say is that Florida has an edge on us is in mangos, but i think we have an edge over Florida on the avocado quality. That is why we need to bring in more Florida mango cultivars to experiment with and you guys really need to try some of our Hawaiian avos.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
That is why we need to bring in more Florida mango cultivars to experiment with and you guys really need to try some of our Hawaiian avos.

OK....sounds like a plan....let's do it!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2012, 07:50:55 PM »
Jsvands5,
My kahaluu has a spreading growing habit. The Nishikawa grows more upright.  Nishikawa has adapted very well here is SW Florida. My tree is loaded with little fruits. Kahaluu has not fruited, yet, but is growing quite well.  According to a fellow collector, that has tasted kahaluu, it is one the best avocados in the world.  It has one of the highest oil content.  Go Hawaii! Aloha all the way!

I'm not sure how to use this forun but I agree with you. I have several Hawaiian avocado. One of my first is the Nishikawa tree I got it in mid 2011, I planted it right away it grew nicely and in January I got 7 pieces of budwood to top work a tree.  I  depleted the tree, reduced the canopy of the little tree by 40%. in spite of that it flowered and it set 5-6 fruit. Since the day I got it you can see that tree likes it in South Florida. It is unknow how thisa hawaiian avocados will taste here. I may get to find out if my nishikawa hold at least one fruit to maturity.
Carlos www.myavocadotrees.com
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:04:01 PM by murahilin »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »
I've got a 7 gallon Fl Haas located, anybody seen a Bacon avocado plant for sale in Central/SW Florida?

There are Bacon trees for sale in the Home Depot in the South Florida area right now. They may have them in your area. Nice trees too. Grown by Pine island Nursery. It dont know how far North you live buy I think Oro Negro Avocado could take your temperature. Someone from California told me it took it to 17 degrees. I had a freeze in my grove in Homestead this December down to 28 degrees for a few hours every variety got frezze burn except Oro Negro. Beautifull tree, great fruit.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk