Author Topic: My Backyard--Viva Las Frutas!  (Read 6137 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
My Backyard--Viva Las Frutas!
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:14:43 PM »
Sooner or later I'll have my wife teach me how to post pictures.  (Gimme a break--I'm 60.)  But this is what I've planted in the last 3 months in my backyard, where only grass grew previously:  5 mango trees (Pickering, Angie, Beverly, Neelam, and Mahachanok), 2 lychee (Mauritius and Hak Ip), Ponkan tangerine, Viejo mamey, and Ruby Supreme guava.  In pots awaiting planting are Green Ischia fig and Triumph persimmon.  Also, I've planted seven papaya plants (Red Lady, Imroved Sunrise Solo, and some seeds from Bolivia).  In the front yard are 2 new avocado trees (Florida Hass and Miguel) and an Alano sapodilla along with 2 flower beds to keep my 3 mature Washingtonias happy.  Yes, I'm getting tired of all the hole digging! :P  But I have space left in the front and sides so I have several other trees in mind. ;D
John

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: My Backyard--Viva Las Frutas!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:56:10 PM »
John51,
Excelent job!  Viva las Frutas!
You got the bug!  I hope to meet you at the FA (Fruit Anonymous) meetings!   hahahahahahahahah 

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:05:29 PM »
Yum!  :) Can't wait to see the photos

-Luke

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 11:52:35 PM »
Yum!  :) Can't wait to see the photos

-Luke

Agree.  :)
Alexi

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:39:41 AM »
nice collection! you must get your wife to teach you how to post pics. its really easy

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 03:54:06 AM »
Hi Johnb51,
you have a excellent selection of fruit trees!!!

Can't wait to see them pics ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:30:22 AM »
John, if your wife doesn't teach you how to post pictures, I will take a plane to FL to show you how to do it  ;D

Very nice collection of trees BTW  :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 05:39:20 AM »
If you install the camera software that comes with the camera, that CD that came with the camera, then every time you plug the camera into the computer your new photo files will be automatically transferred. Then all you have to do is click Add Image to Post when writing your message, Then you click Choose File from the pop up box and select the folder and file that you want. Usually software will automatically store photos in the computer file called My Photos. Then you click Upload once you selected the photo you want to post.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 05:46:15 AM »
Sooner or later I'll have my wife teach me how to post pictures.  (Gimme a break--I'm 60.)  But this is what I've planted in the last 3 months in my backyard, where only grass grew previously:  5 mango trees (Pickering, Angie, Beverly, Neelam, and mahachanok), 2 lychee (Mauritius and Hak Ip), Ponkan tangerine, Viejo mamey, and Ruby Supreme guava.  In pots awaiting planting are Green Ischia fig and Triumph persimmon.  Also, I've planted seven papaya plants (Red Lady, Imroved Sunrise Solo, and some seeds from Bolivia).  In the front yard are 2 new avocado trees (Florida Hass and Miguel) and an Alano sapodilla along with 2 flower beds to keep my 3 mature Washingtonias happy.  Yes, I'm getting tired of all the hole digging! :P  But I have space left in the front and sides so I have several other trees in mind. ;D

For someone who just started planting you are off to a great start with very good selections. I hear nothing but good things about Florida Hass and Neelam is supposed to be one of the best late season mangoes. You have Pickering and lychees. As far as planting sides and front you might get some fruit theft depending on your situation. Lychees are a magnet for that because there are a lot fewer lychee trees than mango trees in South Florida
As far as stubborn rocky coral subsoils......... I loosen them up for digging with a foot long masonry drill bit on my strong electric drill or hammering a screwdriver into the rocks. I dig with an Army entrenching shovel while sitting on the ground. I rarely dig while standing up.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:14:07 AM by zands »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 09:44:41 AM »
If you install the camera software that comes with the camera, that CD that came with the camera, then every time you plug the camera into the computer your new photo files will be automatically transferred. Then all you have to do is click Add Image to Post when writing your message, Then you click Choose File from the pop up box and select the folder and file that you want. Usually software will automatically store photos in the computer file called My Photos. Then you click Upload once you selected the photo you want to post.

With most computers now you can just plug the camera in without installing any software and it will recognize the camera and auto prompt to retrieve the pics. That makes it much easier than dealing with the stupid software that comes with cameras.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »

With most computers now you can just plug the camera in without installing any software and it will recognize the camera and auto prompt to retrieve the pics. That makes it much easier than dealing with the stupid software that comes with cameras.

Even better get an SD card reader (USB) Or whatever card reader works with your type of removable card. I have never plugged in a camera or used their software

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
Wow...great selections of trees you planted John!! I'm also looking forward to pictures!!

I'm one of the most technologically challenged person I know, and if I can post pictures on the internet I'm sure you will be able to as well. Can't wait to see them!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 03:11:45 PM »
Would love to see the pictures, sounds like you got a beautiful collection.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 04:39:23 PM »
You have planted some very good cultivars in your yard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk