Author Topic: Lychee Bloom S. Fla. 2016  (Read 18354 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee Bloom S. Fla. 2016
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »
Yep, you nailed it. It's the cold :-). Palm Beach County and north are far better for lychee production. There are some pockets (eg, davie) where the cold bends inland.

I talked to a grower in homestead who said that many years ago, when the area was slightly cooler, lychee could be reliably fruited there but that the recent warm up has pushed the ideal growing areas north.

Hi Jeff, I have been very lucky with my Mauritius...I planted it Feb. 2011 and it had blooms and fruited from 2013-2016! The only year I didn't get fruits was 2012 because I pruned the tree late Fall of 2011 before I knew I was not suppose to trim it after summer,lol...

I do believe I have good blooms due to me having a lot more chilling hours than you guys have down south of me...I hope it continues to set fruit every year...Good luck with yours!!
Jeff  :-)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2016, 01:22:46 PM »
Jeff, I remember reading somewhere that Emperor was recommended for soils with high organic content.  The implication was that the high organic soils promoted vegetative growth over blooms in other varieties.  I know you have loaded your older yard section full of mulch. Have you planted a lychee in the new section? Maybe you would get increased bloom frequency there with the sandy soil. 

My mother, who has more time to care for her trees and her trees are a couple years older had fruit last year and again this year. She lives a mile to the west of me.
Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2016, 01:51:20 PM »
I think it's a little more complex than that. If you look at the temps when we get those cold fronts, you'll note that southern broward gets a little more chill than the rest. The cold air bends in there for whatever reason (see the below screenshot from Florida's Best Fruiting Plants).

My Mauritius is actually located in the front yard, which is the only place that I haven't mulched (lest the HOA and city come after me :-). Also, I know Harry's trees produce exceedingly well on muck, which is basically just really old compost.

I tried an emperor once. It started off as a beautiful tree that produced prodigious crops in a peat based mix and a 15 gal container. As soon as I threw it in the heavy compost of the back yard, it went into steady decline. I suspect that part of the issue was fungus related, but I've also heard of emperors regularly doing poorly in mucky soils.

In my area, the trees that perform regularly are the older ones (generally north of 20 years in ground). South Florida is really a curious and heterogeneous mix of various microclimates. A plant that excels for one person may perform terribly for another person just 2 miles away, and vice versa.

Jeff, I remember reading somewhere that Emperor was recommended for soils with high organic content.  The implication was that the high organic soils promoted vegetative growth over blooms in other varieties.  I know you have loaded your older yard section full of mulch. Have you planted a lychee in the new section? Maybe you would get increased bloom frequency there with the sandy soil. 

My mother, who has more time to care for her trees and her trees are a couple years older had fruit last year and again this year. She lives a mile to the west of me.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2016, 03:52:37 PM »
Lychees are definitely very perplexing.  This year's heavy bloom seems to be in defiance of what is commonly believed to cause bloom. 

Homestead gets that cold you speak of. I am not sure I get that.  Yes, I may be a degree or two cooler than you on a given day but we are still way inside the 0 - 75 chill hour section that pushes inland on the climate map.  I think Harry might get more cold than we do because he is on or near the higher elevation of the pine island ridge.  After as many years as Harry's trees have been in the ground, wouldn't the nitrogen in his soil be pretty well exhausted? I guess a soil analysis would be needed to answer that question.  Maybe he can chime in on whether he applies fertilizer but I recall him saying that he doesn't. If not, the only nitrogen inputs would be from leaf and dead branch litter so I would think the outputs must exceed inputs.
Brandon

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2016, 04:03:39 PM »
Brandon, did your Olan flower/set fruit this year?  I know they are still young but just wondering.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2016, 04:24:49 PM »
Yes, it is setting fruit but they are still smaller than a pea. I am not sure if any will hold. The tree is only 24 - 28 inches tall and looks a little nutrient deficient.
Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2016, 04:26:09 PM »
Yah, I don't know. Harry's success with lychees has always been a mystery to me. I know he doesn't fertlize.

I think what caused this year's bloom was the shock from a 30+ degree temp drop. We went from blazing hot to suddenly in the high 40's. I think the shock factor is as important as actual temps. It's going to be an awkward harvest, because Mauritius has traditionally been a lychee that you can set your calendar to -- 3rd week of may if memory serves. This year, harvest may not start until late june?

My sweetheart only bloomed on the branches that didn't flush in Jan (only about 15% of the tree).

Lychees are definitely very perplexing.  This year's heavy bloom seems to be in defiance of what is commonly believed to cause bloom. 

Homestead gets that cold you speak of. I am not sure I get that.  Yes, I may be a degree or two cooler than you on a given day but we are still way inside the 0 - 75 chill hour section that pushes inland on the climate map.  I think Harry might get more cold than we do because he is on or near the higher elevation of the pine island ridge.  After as many years as Harry's trees have been in the ground, wouldn't the nitrogen in his soil be pretty well exhausted? I guess a soil analysis would be needed to answer that question.  Maybe he can chime in on whether he applies fertilizer but I recall him saying that he doesn't. If not, the only nitrogen inputs would be from leaf and dead branch litter so I would think the outputs must exceed inputs.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2016, 08:24:57 PM »
I decided to take a look at my Brewster lychee tree today and lo and behold, it's In full bloom. When it rains it pours, this is gladly turning out to be an all around lychee year.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
I think you guys may have jinxed me.  I had as prolific a lychee bloom this year as I can remember.  I have some trees that have barely set any fruit at all.  There are others that have set decently.  I have plenty of pollination. Not sure what the issue is/was.  Please stop talking so positively about my success.  ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2016, 06:02:45 PM »
Same issue on my trees. I think it might have been anthracnose.

I think you guys may have jinxed me.  I had as prolific a lychee bloom this year as I can remember.  I have some trees that have barely set any fruit at all.  There are others that have set decently.  I have plenty of pollination. Not sure what the issue is/was.  Please stop talking so positively about my success.  ;)

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2016, 06:05:28 PM »
My deepest apologies! If it makes you feel any better, I have a sweet heart and hak ip  that had full bloom that current do not have a single fruit.  My runty Olan literally has one greeny left after many had grown to 1/4 inch before turning brown and dropping. 

One sweet heart already has some fruit an inch long. Some of my Mauritius and one Hak Ip are pretty loaded with half inch fruit, considering they are only 6 - 7ft. Bengal, emperor,  and kaimana are still holding a decent number of fruit. Ohia and tukhmia have a few but I am not sure if any will survive.
Brandon

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »
On my two trees that had a full bloom but are currently bare, the flower anthers turned rust orange but otherwise the flowers looked normal.  I should have taken a picture.

Same issue on my trees. I think it might have been anthracnose.

Brandon

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »
My fully bloomed sweetheart is holding almost no fruit.  I'm with Jeff, I think it was Anthracnose.  There was good initial set, then almost all turned brown and dropped >:(

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2016, 08:33:09 PM »
I almost feel guilty... my sweetheart is holding a lot of fruit and the mauritus is still blooming but even if it looses it all I have the sweetheart.
Regards,

Gary

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2016, 09:05:05 PM »
Same here, fruit set has been great on both my sweetheart and Mauritius.
always longing for a JA Julie

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2016, 09:14:47 PM »
First time in roughly 8yrs our family  "sweet heart" is loaded with fruit! At exactly 10yrs old produced its first fruit by the publix bag. This year is only its 2nd fruiting ..ever  but loaded. I have wanted to chop it down for years, but not my call.
Friends not among the forum are seeing similar situations.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2016, 09:25:07 PM »
hehe! I told you not to give up hope so easily

I almost feel guilty... my sweetheart is holding a lot of fruit and the mauritus is still blooming but even if it looses it all I have the sweetheart.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2016, 09:35:11 PM »
This article published in 2008 by Dr Crane says copper is ineffective for lychee anthracnose.  Abound was the recommended treatment at the time of publication.

http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/crane/update-lychee-anthracnose.shtml
Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2016, 12:17:48 AM »
Interesting. Wonder if a combo mix of NOP approved products would work. Abound's active ingredient persists in the soil, doesn't sound great.

This article published in 2008 by Dr Crane says copper is ineffective for lychee anthracnose.  Abound was the recommended treatment at the time of publication.

http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/crane/update-lychee-anthracnose.shtml

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2016, 07:26:01 AM »
Last season Toppy on Merritt Island had two mango blooms and neither set.  He said it was too cold both times.  However, on the same property he had one of his biggest Lychee crops in some time. 

Looks to me like the Lychee likes a bit of cooler temps.  My Sweetheart  bloomed big this year and I will have a handful of fruit it looks like.  It is four feet high. 

I have no idea how to baby a Lychee.  No sprays or drenches.  But I get a lot more chilling hours than further south. 

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2016, 08:43:39 AM »
"I think what caused this year's bloom was the shock from a 30+ degree temp drop. We went from blazing hot to suddenly in the high 40's. I think the shock factor is as important as actual temps. It's going to be an awkward harvest, because Mauritius has traditionally been a lychee that you can set your calendar to -- 3rd week of may if memory serves. This year, harvest may not start until late june?"

Yup, just checked my pictures from last year and I picked the last batch around the 25th of May, will be interesting to see how much later this years crop will be. Wonder if the Brewsters ( a few miles south of me) will be later too...those are normally for sale around the 4th of July most years.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2016, 08:22:05 AM »
One sweet tart is almost there. I have a hak ip that is close too.

Brandon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk