Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

The official "my tomato can beat up your tomato" thread

(1/3) > >>

Mark in Texas:
Gonna stop hijacking one of the lemon threads and start a new one on maters.....

--- Quote from: Mark in Texas on May 21, 2013, 07:48:51 AM ---
--- Quote from: fruitlovers on May 21, 2013, 05:54:40 AM ---
Hi Mark, i can tell you don't know your heriloom tomatoes. There are so many that are 10's that it would make your head spin! I worked one summer at Seed Savers Exchange in Iowa and got to taste about 400 varieties that year. Sorry to derail the thread.

--- End quote ---

What I do know I don't like regarding the heirloom tomato's growth habits, productivity, disease issues, tendency to catface and crack like crazy, blossom end rot issues and all the ones I've tasted have not come close to the richness, texture, juice, perfect round shape and skin-that-melts-in-your-mouth of the new 'Rodeo'.  It was developed in Florida for hot climates. http://www.plantanswers.com/Articles/BHN_602_Tomato.asp  Another one I love is "Big Beef".  Please start a thread recommending some varieties, I'll try anything.  For example, I've been growing Dutch bred greenhouse tomatoes since the fall.  Here's a great resource for seeds, catalog is a must have - http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

Regards,
Mark

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: fruitlovers on May 21, 2013, 06:25:08 PM ---I haven't tried Rodeo but would be willing to bet some of the heirlooms are as good or better. As i remember some of the best tasting ones of the heirlooms to my taste buds were the orange colored ones that were streaked with red inside. I don't remember all the cultivar names, there were 4-5 like this. One i remember was called Pineapple Pleasure, or something like that, was many years ago. I think seedsavers.org sells some of these.

--- End quote ---

I'll look for it, thanks!

--- Quote from: Jsvand5 on May 21, 2013, 09:17:47 PM ---
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Green
Neves Azorian Red
Eva Purple Ball
Black Cherry
Sun sugar ( Hybrid cherry that is really good)

I grow Big Beef sometimes. It's a pretty good tomato, but all of the above blow it away. I'll give Rodeo a try next season.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for those names.  Other than the cherry what is your fave?  I've already got my tomato crop in for 2013 - Big Beef, Rodeo, and Sunmaster (Sunmaster seeds no longer bred). 

Rodeo aka BHN 602 is the craze of Texas now.  It was developed by a Florida research facility and sets excellent fruit throughout our hot summers.   Off of 3 Rodeo plants I grew last year I canned 2.5 gals. of juice and ate and gave away "tons".  The canned maters is blood red and sweet as sugar.  Makes great chili or pasta sauce.  My plants finish at 7' tall by 5' wide and are grown in 5' tall by 3' diameter cages built out of a 50' roll of concrete reinforcing cloth, the kind that has 6X6" mesh.

Like another member pointed out, your mileage will vary depending on where you are, soil, and how you grow.

Mark

Mark in Texas:
Hmmmmmmm, quick cursory glance at a few comments on the Cherokee Purple is "poor taste, poor disease resistance and low yield."

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0717525917864.html

Wow, the NAR (Neves Azorian Red)  looks really promising, IF, it can take our heat.   Being that the positive comments are coming from more northern climes it probably drops its blossoms when night time temps get over 72F, which is a real issue for many tomatoes.  Worth a try.  Check out these huge maters!  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0810282714601.html

Tropicdude:
I would have to say the most disease resistant, and easiest bullet proof tomato I have ever grown was the Florida Everglades,  small current sized fruit but they have an excellent tomato flavor,  and grow zillions of fruit, great for salads or eating out of hand, even my daughter at 2 years old loved eating them.

So for those people like me that have problems growing tomatoes due to fungi, I recommend Florida Everglades. 

a plant in a container on the roof of our office building, re-seeded itself the next year, never watered it or anything.

Mark in Texas:

--- Quote from: Tropicdude on May 22, 2013, 10:57:20 AM ---I would have to say the most disease resistant, and easiest bullet proof tomato I have ever grown was the Florida Everglades,  small current sized fruit but they have an excellent tomato flavor,  and grow zillions of fruit, great for salads or eating out of hand, even my daughter at 2 years old loved eating them.

So for those people like me that have problems growing tomatoes due to fungi, I recommend Florida Everglades. 

a plant in a container on the roof of our office building, re-seeded itself the next year, never watered it or anything.

--- End quote ---

Bill, that sounds like a winner.  Obviously it excels in your Florida type clime.   check out that NAR that the other fellow recommended in the comments I just posted.

nullzero:
I highly recommend Black Cherry, its a monster with vigor and production. It also produced some of the best cherry tomatoes I have tasted. Black Cherry continued to produce tasty tomatoes into January (until a cold front slowed it down).

Some Caigua and 'Black Cherry' tomatoes harvested around 12/19/11

BHN 602 sounds like a good FL tomato. I wonder how it would turn out using it as a rootstock, and top grafting with tasty heirloom tomatoes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version