Author Topic: Yellowing of citrus leaves during winter (9a/8b)  (Read 858 times)

odin.9

• 8b
    • View Profile
Yellowing of citrus leaves during winter (9a/8b)
« on: December 31, 2020, 01:41:44 PM »
I have a few citrus trees in the yard I planned this spring. Several have leaves turning yellow.
One is a blood orange (pictured below)... the photo is a couple of weeks ago - now some of the leaves on the top of the plant are dropping. The yellowing started occurring as it got cooler out (Nov i think is when i noticed it).  I'm thinking it is a nutrient issue... but i'm afraid to fertilize in winter. I stopped fertilizing in Sept/Early Oct. There are also two mandarines that are showing signs similar, but not as bad. A 4th tree ( Hamlin orange) doesn't really show symptoms like this. We do get strong north winds as I'm near a bay on the gulf but haven't really dipped below freezing this year (yet). I have not tested soil (haven't had soil issues with any plants/trees), but the trees performed great during the summer with regular citrus-specific fertalizer.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Yellowing of citrus leaves during winter (9a/8b)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 02:20:36 PM »
The deficiency is a nitrogen deficiency..  The symptoms for a nitrogen deficiency in citrus are:  Totally yellow leaves with no variation of color, or yellow/orange veins with some green to the sides.  Note: 1 inch of irrigation either from rain or hose can leach nitrogen 1 to 2 feet down in sandy soil.  A combination of low nitrogen and cool weather could also be involved.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 02:23:13 PM by Millet »

odin.9

• 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 10:24:32 AM »
The deficiency is a nitrogen deficiency..  The symptoms for a nitrogen deficiency in citrus are:  Totally yellow leaves with no variation of color, or yellow/orange veins with some green to the sides.  Note: 1 inch of irrigation either from rain or hose can leach nitrogen 1 to 2 feet down in sandy soil.  A combination of low nitrogen and cool weather could also be involved.

thanks for the insight! Do you recommend fertilizing during winter right now? If so, how much would be safe?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 10:51:47 AM »
If it is a inground tree & not protected you do NOT want to fertilize in the winter.

odin.9

• 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 11:13:09 AM »
It is in the ground and not producing... but it is starting to lose the yellow leaves. Just leave it? When is it safe to first fertilize this spring?

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 11:18:44 AM »
Yes, after the last frost. Fertilizing the tree now will promote new growth which will be killed back in a hard frost or freeze.