Author Topic: Avocado Fruit mix box  (Read 2859 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado Fruit mix box
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2023, 06:25:48 PM »
Was the carmen no good John?  Thry may have gotten over ripe.  I had a few carmens a month ago that were really special too.  But I have to say that tree doesnt do that well in the heat here.  Regular hass grows better.
Brad Spaugh

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2023, 07:31:13 PM »
Was the carmen no good John?  Thry may have gotten over ripe.  I had a few carmens a month ago that were really special too.  But I have to say that tree doesnt do that well in the heat here.  Regular hass grows better.

They all tasted great. The Carmen was Hass good but might have been a bit overripe. The seed was growing already so it didn't seem as creamy. The green gold was the most surprising with the amount of oil content and firm flesh. At its peak, I wonder if it could beat Hass?? For my taste Hass beat it out since it had a little better flavor. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2023, 08:23:26 PM »
The green golds can still get more oil but they get dry.  I prefer sharwil over green gold and the sharwils are growing better.  I had green golds one year that had a stupid high oil content.  It was like cheese.  I had some nishikawas this year which was also super high oil but the peel had grit and flavor was slightly off.  But it was pretty good. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 08:25:52 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2023, 09:21:51 PM »
The 2 Carmens in my box seem to be ok.  I'm glad you included them as we recently planted a Carmen tree at my nephew's house in Port St. Lucie. Nothing is ripe yet (=giving to the touch and ready to eat).  Are Carmens always smaller than Hass?  Dyrmifolia mentioned that the Nabal ripened unevenly.  How common is that?  Two months ago I ordered Fuertes from Fallbrook so it's going to be interesting to see how these other varieties compare.  I found those Fuertes decent but nothing special, but I'm pretty sure that I've had better Fuertes in the past.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 02:13:52 PM by johnb51 »
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2023, 02:24:24 PM »
The 2 Carmens in my box seem to be ok.  I'm glad you included them as we recently planted a Carmen tree at my nephew's house in Port St. Lucie. Nothing is ripe yet (=giving to the touch and ready to eat).  Are Carmens always smaller than Hass?  Dyrmifolia mentioned that the Nabal ripened unevenly.  How common is that?  Two months ago I ordered Fuertes from Fallbrook so it's going to be interesting to see how these other varieties compare.  I found those Fuertes decent but nothing special, but I had better Fuertes in the past (probably)?

I was asking the other john about his carmens since they didnt make his top pick list.

Carmens are smaller and the tree doesnt like heat.  I will be surprised if it performs in florida. 

The nabal dont typically have ripening issues.  I think they could have hung longer on the tree though.  It has not got very warm yet this year and the nabals are taking longer than normal.  I had one a couple months ago that was good but havent had any since.  They should be good by now but someone else that got a box a few weeks ago told me it needed more time. 

Heres the one I had a couple months ago.  It ripened well but oil was not as high as it can be.

Brad Spaugh

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2023, 10:41:38 PM »
Avocados arrived fast and in great shape.  Looking forward to trying them.  Thanks Brad.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2023, 01:09:19 AM »
The nabal dont typically have ripening issues.

I suspect it was in part because I had set them on the counter next to some ripening bananas, and the Nabal was probably too close to the bananas and picked up whatever they were offgassing, but more on one end than the other.

TXFruithunter

• HOUSTON
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2023, 08:36:33 AM »
Is avocado fruit mix box still available to order? Oh man avocados look so good

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2023, 10:08:10 AM »
Im running low some of the types now but if theres mote I will get bqck to you.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2023, 12:53:04 PM »
I tried to respond to everyone.  A few people asked for them here and then didn't answer the PM.  But I do have more of everything except green golds.  If you still want a box send me a message.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2023, 01:13:34 PM »
Tried a nabal today.  Oil is still not super high but it is cery nice.  I like these a lot and it is a good mid season fruit that fills the gap between Hass and Reed well.

Brad Spaugh

moncsu2

• USA, NC, 7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2023, 08:40:56 PM »
I'm interested, if they are still available. PM sent.

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2023, 11:46:12 AM »
Are sharwil seeds this small usually? So far i tasted nabal and sharwil and sharwil is currently my winner for taste. Sharwil is creamy and smooth. The small seed would be a bonus.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2023, 12:40:02 PM »
Not always that small but they tend to be smaller seeds.  That one is just extra small.  It looks like a really good one with the yellow color that looks like lots of oil.  Sharwil is really hard to beat.

Try some garlic powder and coarse salt on it with chips.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2023, 02:20:41 PM »

So far Pinkerton (bottom picture) is at the top of the leaderboard. I haven't tasted any Hass yet. Nabal is #2, which had good flavor that wasn't quite fully developed, but I could taste the potential--better in the summer with full oil content, I'm sure. The Sharwil in the photos had ripening issues. It had a hard section but also a spoiled section, and although the ripe texture resembled soft butter, it didn't have a whole lot of flavor. I have two more that aren't ready yet.  If I were to throw Fuerte (from two months ago) into the mix, right now it would be at #3. Looking forward to the others!  (Also, I think the 3 days of UPS Ground Service tended to cook the avocados a little.  When the box was delivered to me on the evening of 5/12, it was very warm, having sat in the hot delivery van for the entire last day.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 10:00:42 PM by johnb51 »
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2023, 06:19:21 PM »
Hey John that sucks the fruit got over ripe it looks like.  They dont keep that well once they start getting soft.  If you buy another box again down the road I can try to help make up for the duds you got. 
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2023, 06:30:30 PM »
Sharwil so far are the winners for me, both just perfectly ripe and great flavor / texture, I think I'm going to grow them as seedlings and see what happens. Green gold was good, but maybe needed a little more time on the tree to oil up? Hass of course a winner, always amazing off home grown tree not commercial at Von's. Nabal is next on the chopping block.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2023, 06:55:33 PM »
Sharwils are amazing.  They werent as rich as last years eaither because of the cold weather but thry are still very good.  Thats all I have been eating here.  Hass #2
I top worked about 50 trees with sharwil so I will tons of those for sale in a couple years. 

I think pinkerton is getting top worked next year.  The fruit spoiled really fast this year for some reason.  I think the mid 30s weather we had messed them up.  They didnt do this in past years. 
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2023, 07:39:53 PM »
For me, Sharwil was a stand out and the best avo I've had. It wasn't just a single fruit, they were both that good. I'll definitely need some scion from you next year of that Brad, my Brokaw Hass is actually kicking ass even though it got snowed on pretty bad. Is Sir Prize really that bad? If so, I could top work that tree too. I am super surprised with how well avos are doing at my house.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2023, 07:56:55 PM »
The previous box introduced me to Nabal and I was hooked. Now, let's see if Sharwil would have the same effect. Thanks again, Brad!
Thera

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2023, 08:37:59 PM »
For me, Sharwil was a stand out and the best avo I've had. It wasn't just a single fruit, they were both that good. I'll definitely need some scion from you next year of that Brad, my Brokaw Hass is actually kicking ass even though it got snowed on pretty bad. Is Sir Prize really that bad? If so, I could top work that tree too. I am super surprised with how well avos are doing at my house.

Sir prize has a lot of issues.  Fruits too much, or wont fruit at all, weak growth,.. sun burn, sagging brwnches...  Fruit can be good, can also be mediocre.  Inconsistent...  its pretty useless.  I had 2 trees and top worked them both with sharwil.  It may be better for somewhere with less heat, I cant say fornsure but it is definitely not a top tier tree. 

Heres the only catch with sharwil.  It seems to need a lot of heat to grow well.  It may or may not do well there, you will just have to try it.  Its doing well here but some others I know it hasnt performed well for them.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2023, 10:12:17 PM »
My second Sharwil ripened much more evenly than the first but with some small black areas near the skin.  Now I understand the fuss about this variety.  The texture is just so smooth and buttery, and although not nutty in flavor like Hass, it's very rich and pleasing.  The tiny seed is another plus.  I found Hass and Pinkerton to be very close in flavor.  And Carmen seemed identical to Hass.

Hass is above Carmen. (Sharwil not pictured.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 10:22:15 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2023, 12:26:43 PM »

Greengold: High oil, firm flesh, thick skin (with some grit), rich nutty flavor.  Excellent avocado.
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2023, 12:39:31 PM »
In summary, I found Hass, Carmen, Pinkerton, Sharwil, and Greengold to be equally good.  Sharwil didn't have the nutty flavor of the others but made up for it with its buttery smoothness.  I liked Nabal, too, but it could have used a little more time on the tree to develop more oil to bring out its full potential.  All of the above I'd rank a little higher than Fuerte.  I have one other avocado, Gwen, that's still hard but with soft spots, and I fear it may not ripen properly.  (Gwen's a Hass seedling.)  It was an adventure, tasting all these varieties.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 10:45:15 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2023, 09:18:23 PM »
Gwen.  The worst avocado in the box.  But the last Sharwil was righteous!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 09:20:51 PM by johnb51 »
John