Author Topic: How to deal with bark borers in prunus family  (Read 533 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
How to deal with bark borers in prunus family
« on: November 06, 2022, 10:43:04 AM »
Well ,from one problem to another....i was wondering why my apricot trunk is all cracked and full of deep crevices ,well a week ago hapenned to look a bit closer and found the remaing/discarded shredded wood  piles all over the trunk of the tree. I assume that i have bark borers in there ,probably the same ones that i found on my cherries.
I do have them in way smaller amount than in the apricot and i actually extracted almost all of the ones that i found on the cherries, they are like little caterpillars that bore into the cambium, just below the bark. They are actively eating the live  bark/cambium layer.
What can i use to control such pests, i could spend several days extracting the ones from the apricot manually but i will damage all of the living bark thats left, its that bad!
How do i deal with those ?
Thanks alot !

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with bark borers in prunus family
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 11:56:29 AM »
Could you just stick a wire in the hole and kill them without "extracting" them or digging into the bark?

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: How to deal with bark borers in prunus family
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 01:40:24 PM »
Could you just stick a wire in the hole and kill them without "extracting" them or digging into the bark?
Well, the holes are very well hidden, i have to peal away some of the bark as to find the little tunnels, but they are very branched jenerally ,so its hard to know where exactly the worm is. Its not like the holes i get in the firewood from the xxxxxl borers, which tend to be straight tunnels, unbranched.
I think i will have to manually kill as much as possible but i also want to know what chemical i can use to prevent and control this in the future.
The bark of the apricot is too thick for me to be messing with it, on the cherries its very thin so it was easy to find and kill them, i will try though.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 01:49:38 PM by Plantinyum »