Author Topic: Mailing Seeds to the USA  (Read 2926 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Mailing Seeds to the USA
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:18 AM »
I am having a little trouble establishing what the rules are, with privately mailing seeds to the USA from overseas.I presume there are restricted and a permitted species lists,standards of preparation and a labelling requirements.The restrictions for sending seeds to Australia are pretty strong but seeds are routinely received so long as they are on the permitted list,flesh free and labelled.Some need phytosanitary certificates so it is too hard to privately send those to Australia I imagine it would be a easier for seeds to navigate though US customs and actually get to the recipient.
Any guidance from seasoned seed recipients  would be appreciated.
Mike T

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mailing Seeds to the USA
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:37:57 AM »
There are two different USDA permits that are used to import seeds generally. There is one known as the Small Lot of Seed permit which does not require a phyto but you can only send a smaller quantity of seeds. Then there is the regular seed permit which does not have a limit I think but you need a phyto. I have both permits but I usually only use the Small Lot of Seed. In addition to the permits you have to attach a special green/yellow label to your package the has a barcode and each label is individually numbered and associated with your permit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 04:14:56 PM »
Thanks murahilin I knew it would take a hero to answer that one.Customs here are inspired by the gastapo and seem to go on recreational confiscation sprees of permitted species.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:22:29 AM »
I am having a little trouble establishing what the rules are, with privately mailing seeds to the USA from overseas.I presume there are restricted and a permitted species lists,standards of preparation and a labelling requirements.The restrictions for sending seeds to Australia are pretty strong but seeds are routinely received so long as they are on the permitted list,flesh free and labelled.Some need phytosanitary certificates so it is too hard to privately send those to Australia I imagine it would be a easier for seeds to navigate though US customs and actually get to the recipient.
Any guidance from seasoned seed recipients  would be appreciated.
Mike T

The USA doesn't have a white list, of permitted species, like Australia does. We only have a black list of non permitted species, mostly noxious weeds, and some protected plants (see CITES agreement). So it's way easier to send seeds to the yanks than to the aussies!  ;)
If you are sending a small amount of seed the person just needs to supply you with their small seed lot permit and green and yellow mailing labels. They can apply for this for free through USDA (US dept. of ag).
For plants or for sprouted seeds, or seeds sprouting in route, you will need to get a phytosanitary certificate, and the recipient needs an import permit. This is much more complicated.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:25:21 AM »
There are two different USDA permits that are used to import seeds generally. There is one known as the Small Lot of Seed permit which does not require a phyto but you can only send a smaller quantity of seeds. Then there is the regular seed permit which does not have a limit I think but you need a phyto. I have both permits but I usually only use the Small Lot of Seed. In addition to the permits you have to attach a special green/yellow label to your package the has a barcode and each label is individually numbered and associated with your permit.

Hi Murahilin, small seed lot permit does not specify number of seeds you can receive of one species. You can receive large numbers of seeds, as long as they are in plastic bags of 50 or less. The purpose of this is to speed up inspeciton, not to limit the number of seeds.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:25:36 AM »
Thanks guys the fog has now parted and I see what is going on with much more clarity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk