Author Topic: Do these G. Brasiliensis Seedlings look healthy?  (Read 1027 times)

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Do these G. Brasiliensis Seedlings look healthy?
« on: August 23, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »
I have had these Seedlings for a couple months and its been slow growing. Does the foliage look healthy for Brasiliensis. I have them in shade of tree also

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
Re: Do these G. Brasiliensis Seedlings look healthy?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »
It doesn't look healthy. The new leaves are usually rusty red, changing to dark green as they mature. All new leaves should be bigger or same in size as previous.

Looks like it experiencing nutrient deficiency due to a weak or sick root system. I think your pots are too large for this size of sapling. I would recommend reporting it into a pot just a bit wider than a leaf crown. Deeper pots are better than wide in this case. Also, don't overwater, as well as don't let it completely dry out. I would put some used coffee grinds on top of the soil to effect the acidity. It works miracles for me.

Good luck and let us know if and when it improves.
Zone Pusher

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »
I just repotted them, I noticed a taproot poking out the bottom so I decided it was time.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 04:04:04 PM »
What soil Ph do they need?

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 04:09:05 PM »
Your soil looks fine and I am pretty sure the acidity is within the tolerance. Coffee grinds just help somehow balance it. I don't know your water situation, can also effect the growth.
It is best to use tall treetops like these. Just have to choose the right size

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Various-Sizes-Treepots-Budding-Grafting-Large-Seedling-Pots-Deep-Roots/252816036369?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=551824031669&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Zone Pusher

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 04:31:28 PM »
Looks like they’re lacking iron, but I’m no expert. Good luck.
Nate

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
I had 4-5 different garcinia growing in deep pots and they basically did very little
for a couple years? I was told they have a long taproot which has to hit water then
it will commence putting out the horizontal roots and also finally grow? I saw a post
earlier this year and a member was having good success with Luc's garcinia in Hawaii
by getting them in the ground early on. I put two in the ground this year and they are
struggling at best. I ended up putting shade cloth over them even though the guy in
Hawaii didn't? I also put one in the ground partially under an oak and it is not growing but
is staying green? I also put 3 achachas in the ground this Spring and they are also coming
around. I would consider putting any Garcinias in the ground ASAP and use shade cloth if
necessary. I have seen pictures of beautiful 3 foot yearling lemondrops grown in one gallon pots
in India??? No deep pots? Have you tried Chelated iron for the yellow leaves? Recently I have had
some luck and plan to hit my problem trees once a month?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk