Author Topic: Peches/nectarines in pots?  (Read 860 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Peches/nectarines in pots?
« on: February 02, 2023, 03:56:19 PM »
As i dont really have space for much inground trees, but i do have one nectarine that has the best nectarines that ive ate, i want to propagate it and grow a few plants as potted specimens. Didnt find much info regarding potted culture of peach so i post here as i value the first hand experience much more anyways. I already have 2 grafted plants that i did last spring, grafted onto wild plum rootstock. Dont really know if this graft combination will be ok in subsequent years.
I plan on having them in bigger and bigger pots as they grow, finally planting them into gigantic 100+ liter pots, which will stay outside trough winter.
Please share your experience, thank you !

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Peches/nectarines in pots?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 09:20:02 PM »
I have a peach tree in a container. Last year it made 12 fruit from a 15 gallon. It probably would have made more fruit but I grafted a new variety on it the previous year. This year I added 3 more varieties to it. It's blooming at the moment and I expect more fruit than last year and I'll have 2 types this year.
I had room to put it in the ground but I planted another mango. I like the benefit of putting it in the corner while it's all ugly and leafless. Then right before it blooms I bring it to a full sun spot and leave it there all summer. Very easy to manage and very fruitfull compared  to other trees I've grown in containers.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 09:57:57 AM »
Thanks! I will then try the 2 grafted plants that i have in pots , i may try to form them as espaliers so i can place the pots near the wall of the house.

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 04:02:46 PM »
I've tried with semi dwarf varieties in 25G wood containers, they produce great for a year or two then start declining unless I put them in the ground. I suspect combination of getting rootbound and high soil temperatures. But I have one of those super dwarf ones in a container it is is still growing great with no issues, so I think it is important to start with a dwarf/superdwarf type if you want to keep it potted up for more than a couple years

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 01:16:24 AM »
I've tried with semi dwarf varieties in 25G wood containers, they produce great for a year or two then start declining unless I put them in the ground. I suspect combination of getting rootbound and high soil temperatures. But I have one of those super dwarf ones in a container it is is still growing great with no issues, so I think it is important to start with a dwarf/superdwarf type if you want to keep it potted up for more than a couple years
I am surching for those super dwarf varieties from quite some time, search continues, they are very rare here..