Author Topic: Parajubaea torallyi var. torallyi in Santa Barbara  (Read 1141 times)

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
Parajubaea torallyi var. torallyi in Santa Barbara
« on: April 24, 2022, 11:23:48 AM »
I planted these about twelve years ago as a small potted palm without any feather leaves yet. If memory serves me correctly, I bought them from a backyard nursery in SLO county from a guy named Perry who was a member of the IPS. These palms are very drought-tolerant, and basically have subsisted on the natural rainfall of Santa Barbara.

Here's a current photo, and a photo from ten years ago. The seeds of this species have a good flavor, but I never had any that tasted better than the coquitos of Jubaea chilensis.

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Parajubaea torallyi var. torallyi in Santa Barbara
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 02:26:06 PM »
Coquitos are super good! I didn't know there was another palm like it with edible nuts. How many years did you have it before it produced? I'll have to look around and see if anyone has it over here on the east coast. Finding a Jubaea chilensis over here was difficult. Not many people seem to know about it.  CA always gets the fun stuff lol

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 11:04:32 PM »
Could you show a photo of the fruit? About how big are the fruits and how many per bunch for you?
Thanks.

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 08:35:46 PM »
Coquitos are super good! I didn't know there was another palm like it with edible nuts. How many years did you have it before it produced? I'll have to look around and see if anyone has it over here on the east coast. Finding a Jubaea chilensis over here was difficult. Not many people seem to know about it.  CA always gets the fun stuff lol

It still hasn't fruited. So, it probably takes around twenty years from seed. Probably faster if one were to irrigate. The seeds are big, but mostly woody shell. The kernels are basically the same thing as the kernels of Jubaea chilensis. The thing is they're a much better landscaping option than the ubiquitous queen palms in central california.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 09:27:42 PM »

You will have trouble finding Jubaeas in Florida because they don't like hot and humid. The only ones I hear about are sorry looking or are actually hybrids with Butia palms. Unlike many palm hybrids the j x b or b x j can actually set fruit but will need pollen from one of the parent species to do so. Butia (jelley) palms do very well here and have kernels that taste like little coconuts--you just need a vice to shell them. Lol! The meat is pretty solid, though, and is about the suze of a peanut after being shelled.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 12:47:27 AM »
The next your palm seeds, I'd live to purchase some from you.  I have been looking for this palm for a long time and have not had good luck.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 12:23:23 PM »
Agroventure, I bought palms from Perry too about maybe 12 years I have parajubaea torallyi, p. torallyi microcarpa,p. cocoides, p. sunkha, syagrus coronata none have flowered yet p. syagrus is very slow growing but was small pot to begin with. I'm on Arroyo Grande Mesa about 3-4 miles from coast as crow flies. P. cocoides was slow but begining to grow better now, p. torallyi t.,p. torallyi microcarpa, and p. sunkha are biggest. Will try and get pict today and post later. Can't wait to taste fruit diffently someting to look forward too!
P.torallyi on left, p. torallyi macrocarpa on right

p. cocoides

syagrus coronata

p. torallyi on left, p. torallyi macrocarpa on right, p. sunkha middle in back
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 05:32:44 PM by ScottR »

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 07:34:04 PM »
Agroventure, I bought palms from Perry too about maybe 12 years I have parajubaea torallyi, p. torallyi microcarpa,p. cocoides, p. sunkha, syagrus coronata none have flowered yet p. syagrus is very slow growing but was small pot to begin with. I'm on Arroyo Grande Mesa about 3-4 miles from coast as crow flies. P. cocoides was slow but begining to grow better now, p. torallyi t.,p. torallyi microcarpa, and p. sunkha are biggest. Will try and get pict today and post later. Can't wait to taste fruit diffently someting to look forward too!
P.torallyi on left, p. torallyi macrocarpa on right

p. cocoides

syagrus coronata

p. torallyi on left, p. torallyi macrocarpa on right, p. sunkha middle in back

If you bought Syagrus coronata from Perry after 2013, they are probably palms that I grew from seed. I was moving overseas, and sold him about twenty seedlings that were a year old. Your garden looks very exotic with all those palms.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 07:16:00 PM »
agrovent, small world how about that that little guy has had a hard life it's struggled ever since I put in ground, it's green up a put out a few frongs then a few die back so, stays same size so far. 8)

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 08:21:50 PM »
agrovent, small world how about that that little guy has had a hard life it's struggled ever since I put in ground, it's green up a put out a few frongs then a few die back so, stays same size so far. 8)

It probably craves consistently hot weather.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 11:46:20 AM »
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking too!