Author Topic: Mexican lime  (Read 579 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Mexican lime
« on: August 17, 2023, 02:56:56 AM »
Is mexican lime what they are selling on CA nurseries are also called key lime?

What is the best lime variety to use for tacos?

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
Re: Mexican lime
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 09:48:27 AM »
Mexican lime and key lime both usually refer to Citrus x aurantifolia, though it's possible other types of lime could get mislabeled of course.

As far as what type of lime is best for tacos, that's surely just a matter of personal preference. I like key lime in yellow stage over Persian lime for almost all purposes, including in pico de gallo, but some people definitely feel differently.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 11:26:17 AM »
As far as I know Key Lime and Mexican Lime are synonymous.  I often see trees labelled "Key Lime (Mexican lime)"

tracyberges

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 10:04:03 PM »
In California nurseries, the term "Mexican lime" is often used interchangeably with "Key lime." Both refer to the same citrus fruit, scientifically known as Citrus aurantifolia. The terms "Mexican lime" and "Key lime" are used to describe the same variety of lime with small, round, and highly acidic fruit.

As for the best lime variety to use for tacos, it depends on personal preference. Key limes (Mexican limes) are commonly used in Mexican cuisine, including tacos, due to their distinctive flavor and acidity. However, other lime varieties such as Persian lime (Citrus × latifolia) are also popular and widely available. Persian limes are larger and less acidic than Key limes, offering a slightly different flavor profile. Ultimately, you can choose the lime variety that suits your taste preferences and availability.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 12:43:43 PM by JakeFruit »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 12:46:11 AM »
I have a large Bearss lime tree. It does have fruits about 2x the size of key limes. I also have the key limes grafted on the same tree. The Bearss lime gives me more fruits (3 x a year) than the key limes. I have two sources of my key limes, both grow about the same with same fruits.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 12:43:19 PM »
In California nurseries, the term "Mexican lime" is often used interchangeably with "Key lime." Both refer to the same citrus fruit, scientifically known as Citrus aurantifolia. The terms "Mexican lime" and "Key lime" are used to describe the same variety of lime with small, round, and highly acidic fruit.

As for the best lime variety to use for tacos, it depends on personal preference. Key limes (Mexican limes) are commonly used in Mexican cuisine, including tacos, due to their distinctive flavor and acidity. However, other lime varieties such as Persian lime (Citrus × latifolia) are also popular and widely available. Persian limes are larger and less acidic than Key limes, offering a slightly different flavor profile. Ultimately, you can choose the lime variety that suits your taste preferences and availability.

Are you an AI spammer? Why is there a tiny link to donkey kong in the middle of your post?