Author Topic: Most Cold Hardy Dragonfruit?  (Read 521 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Most Cold Hardy Dragonfruit?
« on: May 14, 2022, 03:05:22 PM »
Texas Mark posted a while back about how his Sugar Dragon survived some pretty extreme cold when his green house lost power. That got me thinking that there might be some clones with more cold tollerence than most people realize. I was hoping everyone could chime in on what varieties they are growing and what temperature they have survived without getting damaged. My Delight got toasted pretty good in the mid 20s here. I am especially interested in information on any of the forms of Paul Thimpson's S8 (Sugar Dragon/Voodoo Child) and Houghton (its parent) if you have them. Thanks for your help!

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Most Cold Hardy Dragonfruit?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 05:16:55 PM »
I gave my parents some cuttings of Purple Haze and Voodoo Child and they made it through upper 20’s in north Florida just fine.

Taylorhill

• SouthEast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 08:43:53 PM »
My yellow variety I started from a piece of plant attached to a fruit from an Asian market. It survived our early 2021 insane record winter here in Texas. We lost power and water for 2 weeks so my main greenhouse got down to 26f. I had a little dieback. Maybe 10%.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 11:13:45 PM »
I gave my parents some cuttings of Purple Haze and Voodoo Child and they made it through upper 20’s in north Florida just fine.

That is interesting, did they protect them at all, or were the vines in a naturally shelters spot like under trees or againstva house?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 11:15:32 PM »
My yellow variety I started from a piece of plant attached to a fruit from an Asian market. It survived our early 2021 insane record winter here in Texas. We lost power and water for 2 weeks so my main greenhouse got down to 26f. I had a little dieback. Maybe 10%.

Wow, I had always thought that the yellow Dragonfruit was more sensitive to cold.