Author Topic: Grafting and their placement afterwards during the winter  (Read 530 times)

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
Grafting and their placement afterwards during the winter
« on: January 08, 2023, 12:37:59 PM »
Hello everyone,

At the end of next week I will receive some scions. Up to now I've only grafted in spring with freshly cut scions, so this is different now. I think of a few options:

1. Store the scionwood until spring at 9°C in a fridge (I'm afraid they will lose their viability).

2. Graft and place the plants in a unheated room around 14°C, with ambient light but no direct sunlight.

3. Graft and place them in a room around 20°C, can be positioned either for ambient light or for direct sunlight.

4. Or maybe other suggestions?

Any advice for what is best?
The poncirus rootstock is currently placed outdoors. If it is recommend to put the grafts in a 20°C room then I can already bring the rootstock inside as preparation.

I will receive three scions for each variety so it is also possible to try two things. This is what I'm expecting:

3 x Ichangquat
3 x Ichang Lemon CRC 1215
3 x Eremorange
3 x Citradia "Eisenhut 139"

Best regards,

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting and their placement afterwards during the winter
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 08:54:26 PM »
3) but some experience: I am not having much luck grafting in ambient temp of around 68f / 20c. I bet the soil is much cooler than this especially after watering. My grafts turn brown or develop mold. Might need more heat than that, to get your rootstocks actively growing you can place a heat mat under the poncirus to make sure it wakes up.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 09:01:12 PM by vnomonee »

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting and their placement afterwards during the winter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 03:56:11 PM »
3) but some experience: I am not having much luck grafting in ambient temp of around 68f / 20c. I bet the soil is much cooler than this especially after watering. My grafts turn brown or develop mold. Might need more heat than that, to get your rootstocks actively growing you can place a heat mat under the poncirus to make sure it wakes up.

Yes, even in spring and early summer I placed the grafts inside under a sun roof (but not in direct sunlight at first) where it is nice and warm. I read that warmer temperatures makes the graft heal better/faster.

So I think the warmest spot (and I can use heating pad) seems a good idea. Only thing I'm a bit worried about is if they start growing branches, but will have a lack of sunlight in these winter days. Although by the time that they could start growing it will already be past halfway in February.

I was more wondering if placing them in a cooler room, like 15°C, might delay the healing, but not with negative effect. Like a good way to store it for a few weeks, before putting it in a warmer spot. Then it will line up better with the spring.