Author Topic: Scion wood - How long can I keep it in the fridge?  (Read 6026 times)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Scion wood - How long can I keep it in the fridge?
« on: September 28, 2015, 04:36:04 PM »
I know its not the right time, but I found some mango trees that I wanted to graft here in the US, and I managed to get some scion wood. Since I don’t have the trees available for grafting right away, I was wondering how long I can keep it in the fridge before it goes bad. I went just by the description of the mango fruit since its not mango season in El Salvador and they belong to family members; it would be a surprise to me when if I get some fruit out of them. :) I just want to experiment! ;D

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Scion wood - How long can I keep it in the fridge?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »
Hi Tropicalnut;well  I would say between 2 / 4 weeks; probably you can avoid the refrigerator do I find mangos don't like too cold; as some avo's do; however maybe somebody else can give more info on this; I have receive scions in the mail that are good to graft after 3 weeks; the main thing is prevent dehidration; put them inside a wet piece of cloth; and then a ziplock bag ; just my two cents.....
El verde es vida!

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 05:56:12 PM »
I know its not the right time, but I found some mango trees that I wanted to graft here in the US, and I managed to get some scion wood. Since I don’t have the trees available for grafting right away, I was wondering how long I can keep it in the fridge before it goes bad. I went just by the description of the mango fruit since its not mango season in El Salvador and they belong to family members; it would be a surprise to me when if I get some fruit out of them. :) I just want to experiment! ;D

Hey Tropicalnut,

I see you live in Phoenix. I live in Chandler. I was at Lowes last weekend the the fall fruit trees are in stock, including Manila Mangoes for <20$. These are seedling Manilas from LaVerne. They are small caliper and would make an excellent rootstock for your scion. Since you have a limited shelf life on your scions this is probably your best bet.

Good luck with your grafts!
starch
- Mark

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 09:00:22 PM »
Thanks to both of you!, I will go and pick some mangoes tomorrow after work!
I do have my wood wrapped in wet paper towel and in a plastic bag from the moment I cut them. :)   

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 09:43:58 PM »
I wouldn't put it in the fridge. Buddy tape it and keep it in the house.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:21:31 AM »
Thanks, got it out last night and wrapped them in tape! :)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 08:43:56 AM »
What about Avocado scion wood, is it better to keep it in the refrigerator or room temperature?

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 09:13:02 AM »
Hi Tropnut, sometimes the scions can start to turn within a day after harvesting, I recently got 5 scions that made a 4000 mile trip to
central Florida from Cal. and by the time they got here after being inside of a cargo compartment of an airplane, or inside of a semi truck trailer and on top of that, riding around all day in a  hot mail truck, I could see the black little lines that start to show, and the change in color, here is a pic. of the best one I tried out of two, neither took. To me (for shipping) the best chance on taking is to start with a 3/8'' or 1/2'' inch scion that has been prepared a couple of weeks ahead of time and showing new growth, cut it and shipped immediately wrapped in moist paper towel, in plastic bag, but then again the shipping distance and the weather are the factor.
Carlos

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »
1/2" thick scion? 

If shipping that far, especially in the heat of summer, best to bite the bullet and go with overnight or at most, two day service.  If that minimal cost is too much, than the scions must not be of that much importance and be prepared to have cooked wood.
- Rob

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 02:44:12 PM »
I have had some fig cuttings kept in a ziplock bag in a fridge for a month (i did collect them to root them), and they did just fine when i put them out and started to root them (4 out 5 did root). For scions, i think that key factor are heat/humidity. If hot, and not enough humidity, they dissecate; if hot and too much humidity, they rot.  I haven't had much experience but i think that any time in the mail over the week may lead to failure. Overall wapping them in parafilm seems to me a solid suggestion, i just haven't yet done that myself (yet).
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 03:27:56 PM »
I have had some fig cuttings kept in a ziplock bag in a fridge for a month (i did collect them to root them), and they did just fine when i put them out and started to root them (4 out 5 did root). For scions, i think that key factor are heat/humidity. If hot, and not enough humidity, they dissecate; if hot and too much humidity, they rot.  I haven't had much experience but i think that any time in the mail over the week may lead to failure. Overall wapping them in parafilm seems to me a solid suggestion, i just haven't yet done that myself (yet).

Figs, Anonnas, Stone Fruits, deciduous fruit trees budwood are ok to put in the fridge for a month or more, mangos no.
1/2" will be fresh if send 2 days Priority mail if you harvest the wood a day before shipping. The same with sending fruits 2 days Priority mail across the country. You must harvest the fruit green and on the same the you ship.....believe me I've learned the hard way.     

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 07:02:48 PM »
Hahah, I do believe you, honestly i have shipped mangoes wich were pretty ripe and got some horrific tales from the receiver.  :D
What does surprise me a little is the unability of mangoes to withstand fridge temperatures. In my greenhouse in winter, mangoes spend days at fridge temperature (33-40) with just some minore hill effects. Maybe the physiological state of the scions may play a role? Is the "about to push" scion wich is widely used the less apt to be kept in fride? I don't know, i don't have any direct experience. But mango scion in fridge as No-NO surprises me a little.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 09:57:55 PM »
 I went to Lowe's and found 2 manila mango trees for $23 each. I came home and grafted a couple of the scion wood that I had brought with me, The scion wood looks like it started to deteriorate so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Tomorrow I would go to a different one maybe I can get a couple more trees and see if I can save some more grafts.
I had a little seedling at home so I also grafted the smaller scion into it as well, so in one tree I put in two branches of the same tree, because the ones that look in better shape were kind of thin.
Wish me look! :) They only traveled about 4000 miles to get here! ;)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 05:16:10 AM »
I went to Lowe's and found 2 manila mango trees for $23 each. I came home and grafted a couple of the scion wood that I had brought with me, The scion wood looks like it started to deteriorate so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Tomorrow I would go to a different one maybe I can get a couple more trees and see if I can save some more grafts.
I had a little seedling at home so I also grafted the smaller scion into it as well, so in one tree I put in two branches of the same tree, because the ones that look in better shape were kind of thin.
Wish me look! :) They only traveled about 4000 miles to get here! ;)

Awesome! I sure hope they take for you!
- Mark

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 08:10:36 AM »
Thanks Starch! me too.