Author Topic: Cambuca hardiness  (Read 3615 times)

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Cambuca hardiness
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:27:16 PM »
Does anyone have an idea of the cold tolerance of Plinia edulis?  I've got a number of seedlings growing, and I'm wondering how they compare to jaboticabas in terms of their hardiness, and what sort of care they'll need here in Southern California.  Is anyone growing them in-ground on the mainland?

James
James

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Cambuca hardiness
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:36:27 PM »
Only for your information and may not apply to California . I have them in full sun , lowest temperature here at night in the winter is 7 Celsius , no special care , just enough water .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:46:57 PM »
emegar,

I have two small plants as well as four seedlings, all in pots right now.  All of them did just fine outside this winter, even with unusually low temps of 34 F for two nights in Jan (with 4 or 5 nights in the mid to high 30s). 

For what it is worth, I am in coastal San Diego, Sunset zone 24, about 1 mile from Torrey Pines State Beach.

Hope this helps,
Richard

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »
I've seen one in a protected location, but in a very cold area.

Its survived some horrible hard freezes...and it gets burnt back when temps dip to around 28F...but to outright kill a somewhat mature tree...it would probably have to drop to 25F, for an extended period (5hrs?).

They like protection from cold dry wind...and they are an evergreen tree...which is somewhat unusual for jaboticabas...most I grow are semi-deciduous. 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
I have a decent sized one, it flowered like crazy recently, but I think the cold we had forced the fruit to drop. It is about 8 years old and never had a problem in the high 30's we get here sometime. Just can't get the fruit to set.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:53:27 AM »
I have a decent sized one, it flowered like crazy recently, but I think the cold we had forced the fruit to drop. It is about 8 years old and never had a problem in the high 30's we get here sometime. Just can't get the fruit to set.

Is it the cold or is it the dry? They might have difficulty setting in very low humidity of southern California. Try raising humidity by using misters or microsprinklers.
Remember these plants are not tropical,not from the Amazon, they are sub tropica, from cooler southern Brazill, so they can take some low temperatures.
Oscar

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 02:54:59 AM »

Is it the cold or is it the dry? They might have difficulty setting in very low humidity of southern California. Try raising humidity by using misters or microsprinklers.
Remember these plants are not tropical,not from the Amazon, they are sub tropica, from cooler southern Brazill, so they can take some low temperatures.

Thanks Oscar, 
I am just a few miles from the ocean and the humidity is usually in the 70's. I suspect the cold, I'm wondering at what temps they naturally set fruit? When I noticed flowering I really water heavily to keep the flowers from dropping. It should flower twice a year and this was only it's second time flowering, maybe during a warm period of flowering it should hold some.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 04:25:09 AM »

Thanks Oscar, 
I am just a few miles from the ocean and the humidity is usually in the 70's. I suspect the cold, I'm wondering at what temps they naturally set fruit? When I noticed flowering I really water heavily to keep the flowers from dropping. It should flower twice a year and this was only it's second time flowering, maybe during a warm period of flowering it should hold some.

Are you sure the humidity is that high? I lived in southern Cal very close to the ocean also, and the only time humidity was that high was during the so called June gloom foggy spells. Rest of the year humidity levels were very low.
Here the cambucas flower in early summer and fruits are ready to eat late summer. So yes the fruit during warmer part of the year. They flower sometimes again in early fall with a smaller crop.
Oscar

hungplu

• OC CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 08:14:42 PM »
Greetings Gents, have you had any fruits on the Cambuca being grown in southern California? how is the taste compare to other fruits? how long does it take to fruit. Thanks for any feedback.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk