Author Topic: Any ideas for muntingia calabura (Jamaican cherry) besides eating out of hand??  (Read 1310 times)

KineticUrchin

• Treasure Coast (9b)
    • View Profile
Hello all, anyone who has one of these trees know they grow super fast and produce tons of tiny fruits. 

Once picked, they do not last very long. I usually pick a few at a time and just eat them as I go. I tried juicing them once but it jammed up the juicer. I think they have too low of a liquid content to juice (guessing).

Does anyone do anything more interesting?  Juice them? Add them to a recipe? I've only found one YouTube video of a lady who boils them or something, but the volume is too low so I gave up on the vid.

Thanks all!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
I think it is a waste to grow it. too sweet and the fruits are too small. Maybe you could freeze them or dry them?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
"Only the leaves and fruits of M. calabura were confirmed to be safe for consumption and have antioxidant effects. This is in accordance with the claims that the leaves are consumed directly as a tea-like beverage in Peru while the fruits are freshly eaten or prepared as tart or jam in Mexico."
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/13880209.2014.908397

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
"Only the leaves and fruits of M. calabura were confirmed to be safe for consumption and have antioxidant effects. This is in accordance with the claims that the leaves are consumed directly as a tea-like beverage in Peru while the fruits are freshly eaten or prepared as tart or jam in Mexico."

Before Irma took my tree down (they are real wind sails if you don't prune regularly) I was freezing them fresh and then throwing them into a blender with a frozen banana - instant cotton candy flavored smoothie. No ice needed!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Before Irma took my tree down (they are real wind sails if you don't prune regularly) I was freezing them fresh and then throwing them into a blender with a frozen banana - instant cotton candy flavored smoothie. No ice needed!
Great idea! I just have a small yellow one... i'm crazy to eat it!   :P

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Interesting - I didn't realize the leaves were edible.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:38:52 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

KineticUrchin

• Treasure Coast (9b)
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies.

Too sweet? No way! Of course this comes down to personal preference, but I think they taste great.

I got the tree because I have a kid, it's fun to go out and pick some, the tree has ripe fruit more than half of the year.

But, I probably would not have bought this thing if I could go back. The roots it sends out are no joke. If someone wants to grow one, I would recommend container growing or plant it in the corner if you have a whole lot of property.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies.

Too sweet? No way! Of course this comes down to personal preference, but I think they taste great.

I got the tree because I have a kid, it's fun to go out and pick some, the tree has ripe fruit more than half of the year.

But, I probably would not have bought this thing if I could go back. The roots it sends out are no joke. If someone wants to grow one, I would recommend container growing or plant it in the corner if you have a whole lot of property.
And here I am... can't even get one to grow!
-Kris

the_higher_self

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Mine are growing hella slow and keeps flowering with no fruit grr. 
Anywho, the leaves are extremely good for diabetes and overall health, the fruit contains the highest amount of Calcium than any fruit known, from what I've read. Create a superfood product and sell it on Etsy. I'd buy it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk