Author Topic: Pace vs Excalibur Mamey  (Read 1700 times)

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
Pace vs Excalibur Mamey
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:07:56 PM »
Hi Guys,
If you're thinking "didn't this guy just post a mamey question", you're right. And the answers I got were very helpful. I'm 95% set on adding a Pace to my broken, but recovering Pantin. If you can bear with one last(?) question... Is there any reason to consider an Excalibur instead? I mainly ask because years ago Rob had written that it's the best flavored mamey. If not, I'm very happy with everything I read about Pace.
Thanks, I'll do my best to make this my last post on this topic. Obsession is a terrible thing!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Pace vs Excalibur Mamey
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 05:13:58 PM »
Isn't Lorito a really good mamey?
John

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 11:56:40 AM »
Pantin, Pace, and Lorito are all excellent mamey-sapotes.  Even though I have worked at Excalibur Fruit Trees, I am not familiar with their mamey-sapote.
Har

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 01:14:18 PM »
Next time I travel to Florida I will hunt down some mamey. It's my favorite palleta. Too bad it hasn't caught on in the local growers circle. I tried growing one from seed, but it's a very slow grower. I gave up for it.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 08:15:20 PM »
Some old friends of mine planted a mamey-sapote seed in the ground;  they waited 30 years for the first flowering.
Har

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 12:10:24 PM »
Would someone with Excalibur mamey sapote be so kind as to upload a photo of a cross-sectioned fruit? Doesn't seem to be a single photo viewable anywhere.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 04:16:26 PM »
Would someone with Excalibur mamey sapote be so kind as to upload a photo of a cross-sectioned fruit? Doesn't seem to be a single photo viewable anywhere.

This is what the fruit looks like whole:

I don’t have a photo of what it looks like cut open, but this photo of a Lorito fruit is representative of the color that I remember, perhaps just a slightly brighter shade if we were to split hairs:

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 11:36:31 AM »
Thanks Squam

I was expecting it to be darker than that. From memory people describe it as deep red or blood red.

Interestingly there was a person on the Houz forum named Lisa (GCmastiffs) who uploaded a photo of mamey sapote that had extremely red pulp. She purchased it from Excalibur, lost the tag, and was then told that she had Pantin. But Pantin does not have red pulp. So I thought she had Excalibur, but the fruit shape doesn't seem narrow enough for that cultivar.

I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 12:42:44 PM »
Thanks Squam

I was expecting it to be darker than that. From memory people describe it as deep red or blood red.

Interestingly there was a person on the Houz forum named Lisa (GCmastiffs) who uploaded a photo of mamey sapote that had extremely red pulp. She purchased it from Excalibur, lost the tag, and was then told that she had Pantin. But Pantin does not have red pulp. So I thought she had Excalibur, but the fruit shape doesn't seem narrow enough for that cultivar.

Lara farms uses that picture for the cultivar “Vidal redondo” online or at least when I choose the Vidal cultivar, the page moves to that picture in the list of different mamey pictures that he has. What’s weird is that I’ve seen pictures of pantin with more of an orange flesh and with pink-red flesh like the one posted by Noel aka Florida green man. The one I ate from Lara farms was a late season pantin and when I scratched the fruit, it was brick red. When I opened that fruit, it was more of an orange color instead of the pink red color of Noel’s mamey from his old pantin mamey tree. I wonder if there are sub varieties of pantin or maybe the growing conditions effect the color and quality of fruit.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:54:50 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 03:18:11 PM »
Thanks Squam

Yes that looks like it. After looking again My Lorito pic probably doesn’t do justice to the Excalibur. It’s a brighter red color.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 06:22:36 PM »
I had a bunch of these last year from them.

The red is so bright.

No other mamey Ive had comes close to that red.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 01:35:04 PM »
I had a bunch of these last year from them.

The red is so bright.

No other mamey Ive had comes close to that red.

Just for clarification, are you talking about Excalibur or Vidal?