Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Where to buy a pummelo tree in SW Florida? What's the best home varieties?

(1/4) > >>

JakeFruit:
Finally accepting the fact that I'll have to buy a tree from somewhere licensed in Florida. The hurdles now are finding the variety I want and finding a nursery that sells them. I've only had two varieties of pummelo I liked: one was from a local (dead/gone now) tree, the other is what I can get in Trader Joe's this time of year. The local tree had huge fruit; white flesh, fairly seedy, but with a very pleasant taste (it's been nearly a decade since I last tasted it). The TJ's fruit is pink to red in color, usually seedless, and a good balance of sweet to acid.  I'm sure the TJ fruit comes from CA, guessing it's a Chandler from what I've read. Describing the flavor I'm looking for, I'd say it has to have decent acid, not looking for all sweet. The TJ fruit often reminds me of a very sweet Ruby Red grapefruit. Anybody have suggestions for pummelos like that which do well in Florida?

I haven't found any nurseries in the Sarasota area that carry pummelo. Jene's Tropicals in St Pete lists them on their website, but googling the names of the varieties listed doesn't yield much information. Calling them for more information was a dead end, they didn't even have any in stock. Guessing I'll have to special order a tree, fine with that. I'm also okay with driving a few hours.

Any tips are appreciated!

brian:
it seems nobody can agree on the best varieties... see this thread:  http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=42633.0

JakeFruit:
Yes, I followed that discussion. Seemed all the commenters were outside of Florida. Florida has citrus locked down, I can only buy what's available from licensed growers/nurseries. Knowing what grows well and is available in Florida is what I'm after.

Galatians522:
If you are looking for a specific specialty citrus, I would recommend calling around to licensed retail citrus nurseries to see if any of them will let you custom order a tree. If they agree it will likely take a year or more to get your tree, and you may have to pay a premium to make such a small order worth their time, but that is probably the only way you are going to get a truly specialty tree. Of course, there is also the possibility that you will luck into a tree that was grown as overstock for a larger order (they always grow more trees than what the customer ordered to make sure that they have enough high quality trees).

JakeFruit:

--- Quote from: Galatians522 on March 07, 2021, 08:42:47 AM ---If you are looking for a specific specialty citrus, I would recommend calling around to licensed retail citrus nurseries to see if any of them will let you custom order a tree. If they agree it will likely take a year or more to get your tree, and you may have to pay a premium to make such a small order worth their time, but that is probably the only way you are going to get a truly specialty tree. Of course, there is also the possibility that you will luck into a tree that was grown as overstock for a larger order (they always grow more trees than what the customer ordered to make sure that they have enough high quality trees).

--- End quote ---
Yes indeed. I've spoken with local nurseries, some say they can special order. None have catalogs I can look through, I need to know what pummelo I want. That's the challenge...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version