Author Topic: Now It's California's Central Valley Homeowner's Turn  (Read 2072 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Now It's California's Central Valley Homeowner's Turn
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:57:31 PM »
The battle to save the California's Central Valley's citrus industry from the Greening's disease-carrying Asian citrus psyllids is now coming to the central valley's home owner. Starting early next month, the fight will be taken to the yards of homes across Tulare County, along with parts of Fresno counties. That's when the California Department of Food and Agriculture will begin sending a group of 15 technicians to knock on doors of homes to ask if citrus is grown on their property. Technicians will go into yards with orange, lemon and other kinds of citrus trees to see if any have psyllids swarming around them, or if the trees are showing signs of huanglongbing (HLB) — a bacteria the insects can carry and spread from one citrus tree to another. The high-risk surveys, that the state agency has been doing in Southern California since 2012, after the first and so far only HLB infected citrus tree was found in a Rancho Cucamonga neighborhood, will now also be carried out in the Central Valley of California.  - Millet
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:00:10 PM by Millet »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Now It's California's Central Valley Homeowner's Turn
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »
Swarming? I always thought Psyllids were relatively solitary critters and hard to notice without a close examination?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »
I have never heard of a Hickson Mandarin before this thread.  It must be a variety not grown in the USA.  I checked the Citrus Clonal Protection Program, (CCPP) and it is not listed as one of their varieties. Therefore, certified budwood of Hickson cannot be obtained in the USA.  I did find that the University of California at Riverside, California (UCR) had two Hickson mandarins growing the their citrus tree collection.  Learn something new is a good thing. - Millet

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
I have never heard of a Hickson Mandarin before this thread.  It must be a variety not grown in the USA.  I checked the Citrus Clonal Protection Program, (CCPP) and it is not listed as one of their varieties. Therefore, certified budwood of Hickson cannot be obtained in the USA.  I did find that the University of California at Riverside, California (UCR) had two Hickson mandarins growing the their citrus tree collection.  Learn something new is a good thing. - Millet

,Mike T has posted numerous threads about his Hickson mandarins in the Citrus Boards--you know, the one you're supposed to be moderating.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:04:23 PM »
Yes I know he has.  I read them..  Anyway, I do not think that Hickson is grown in this country. - Millet