Author Topic: Heritage raspberry zone 9?  (Read 1717 times)

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
Heritage raspberry zone 9?
« on: January 22, 2023, 10:27:07 AM »
Hey i live in a zone 9a and i want to grow raspeberries, i can find to order only the heritage variety but i am not sure it will hold against the hot weather, i am in north greece and the winters are cold some years like down to -6 or -7 at night only for some days but our summers go up to 40c and i am worried it wont survive the summer, how heat tolerant is it

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Heritage raspberry zone 9?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 05:23:49 PM »
I don't know about the heritage variety. We had raspberries and blackberries in Florida. Raspberry does worse than blackberry and some varieties are more heat tolerant than others but generally speaking they survive heat and will even produce berries but they grow better in cooler climates. I doubt that it would die.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 09:20:49 PM »
I have grown Heritage raspberry in Florida (zone 9b). They benefit from shade and mulch when it gets hot. They don't live very long (due to disease more than heat I believe) but I could get them to last 2-3 years. I think you will fare better with them since you have dryer weather. Heritage has excellent classic raspberry flavor. There is one that would probably do very well for you called Dorman Red. It has Australian native raspberry in its parentage. The flavor is a little different.

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 12:00:03 AM »
I don't know about the heritage variety. We had raspberries and blackberries in Florida. Raspberry does worse than blackberry and some varieties are more heat tolerant than others but generally speaking they survive heat and will even produce berries but they grow better in cooler climates. I doubt that it would die.
alright thank you, i will give it a try, i was wondering cuz i have heard somewhere it eas just heat tolerant up to 8b

Itsmedata

• Greece, kavala, low 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 12:03:13 AM »
I have grown Heritage raspberry in Florida (zone 9b). They benefit from shade and mulch when it gets hot. They don't live very long (due to disease more than heat I believe) but I could get them to last 2-3 years. I think you will fare better with them since you have dryer weather. Heritage has excellent classic raspberry flavor. There is one that would probably do very well for you called Dorman Red. It has Australian native raspberry in its parentage. The flavor is a little different.
i will try heritage, our weather is really dry except the summer months. This fall we didnt get a total over 10mm, i dont think we have a lot of diseases around here cause raspberries arent such a common thing for people to plant

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 08:06:31 AM »
Raspberries (really, rubus as a whole) doesn’t care about cold. But it doesn’t necessarily love dry. Some of frankly drought-intolerant. So don’t let them get too dry.

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 07:50:42 AM »
Pete Kanaris grows the mysore raspberry. I think he’s in zone 9? I’ve been wanting to try those, I know nothing of them. We’ve grown tons of blackberries, heirlooms always taste the best. We do have one GMO variety called prime ark freedom from university of Arkansas. Puts off two giant crops a year berries 1-1.5 inches long. Fruits on primo canes, not flurocanes! Flavor is decent but the crop production is out of this world

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 09:29:46 PM »
Pete Kanaris grows the mysore raspberry. I think he’s in zone 9? I’ve been wanting to try those, I know nothing of them. We’ve grown tons of blackberries, heirlooms always taste the best. We do have one GMO variety called prime ark freedom from university of Arkansas. Puts off two giant crops a year berries 1-1.5 inches long. Fruits on primo canes, not flurocanes! Flavor is decent but the crop production is out of this world

I have grown Mysore. The size of the fruit is good and the flavor is not bad. However, it does not taste anything like a red or black cap raspberry which is very disappointing. The seeds and thorns are very large.

You intrigued me with the primocane blackberry. Are you sure it is GMO? Several sources that sell it list organic, non-GMO plants.

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 07:58:14 AM »
No not sure about GMO, maybe University of Arkansas selected instead of bred. It has been a great grower and producer for me. Fruiting on the primo canes is no joke easily double the next best crop on the year. My little boy loves raspberries, I’ve been wanting to try heritage. Good to know about taste on mysore. I’ve heard they grow well here but if it doesn’t taste like a raspberry then might as well go blackberry! I have some native Texas dewberries selected that I dug up from the wild. They are thorny as all get out and require some water and trellis training to get them off the ground, but it’s one of the best berries in the world. None of the generic blackberry taste. We’ve foraged for them since I was a kid. I can taste the dewberry cobbler now. Can send you some slips if you want, send me a pm. I will warn you they are THORNY though

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 11:14:36 PM »
Heard babba raspberry grows out here in Phx.