Author Topic: eugenia uniflora seeds storage: how should I do it?  (Read 1704 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
eugenia uniflora seeds storage: how should I do it?
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »
Hi, I have several seeds of red eugenia uniflora I'm eating now, I planted many others ... but I will keep a lot of seeds to share later with another people,

what you recommend to keep them? I thought about puting them into ziploc bags in the fridge with sphagnum moss, is that right? (4ºc)

This scientific paper says that can last six months with 20% moisture, but does not clarify if placed in the refrigerator or at room temperature ... (here in my house is hot, 27 ° C)

" The seeds of Eugenia uniflora L. (Myrtaceae) also exhibit short storability, but higher than I. vera, and could be stored for six months under controlled conditions (Barbedo et al., 1998). Among other Eugenia species, E. uniflora seeds are the most tolerant, keeping their germinability with moisture content of 20% (Delgado and Barbedo, 2007)."

Also, I see the sphagnum is somewhat dry... I dont know if I should wet it more...
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: eugenia uniflora seeds storage: how should I do it?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 09:12:37 PM »
I refrigerated jaboticaba seeds and they germinated just fine.  Surinam cherry germinates so easily I wouldn't store it damp unless you want it to sprout.

I store a lot of seeds in a tin box.  First wrapped in paper towel for padding, then in a ziplock bag.  I keep the tin box on a shelf out of direct sunlight to keep it cool.

I just germinated some soursop seeds and a bunch of papaya that had been stored for over a year.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:35:59 AM by PltdWorld »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »
Hi, I have several seeds of red eugenia uniflora I'm eating now, I planted many others ... but I will keep a lot of seeds to share later with another people,

what you recommend to keep them? I thought about puting them into ziploc bags in the fridge with sphagnum moss, is that right? (4ºc)

This scientific paper says that can last six months with 20% moisture, but does not clarify if placed in the refrigerator or at room temperature ... (here in my house is hot, 27 ° C)

" The seeds of Eugenia uniflora L. (Myrtaceae) also exhibit short storability, but higher than I. vera, and could be stored for six months under controlled conditions (Barbedo et al., 1998). Among other Eugenia species, E. uniflora seeds are the most tolerant, keeping their germinability with moisture content of 20% (Delgado and Barbedo, 2007)."

Also, I see the sphagnum is somewhat dry... I dont know if I should wet it more...

They will keep much longer in refrigerator. Best at 10C. Soak the sphagnum moss in water, and then squeeze all the water out by hand, then place in zip lock bag.
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 02:00:22 AM »
Thanks both! I never tought I would like to propagate the red one, but almost all the people that tried them fully ripe, liked them
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 02:54:21 AM »
Plus you can use as rootstock for the black one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk