Author Topic: Dorsett Golden Apple tree has one fruit on it  (Read 4492 times)

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
Dorsett Golden Apple tree has one fruit on it
« on: January 26, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
I was waiting for April/May for my Dorsett Golden apple tree to flower and then like usual not produce any fruit.  I was caught by surprise when my Dad found one fruit on the tree now in January:

It looks like it is self pollinating and produces fruit in South Florida!  I think it might be due to the strange weather we've had?  Any body else has any experience growing apples in South Florida?

Adiel
Adiel

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Dorsett Golden Apple tree has one fruit on it
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
Cool! I've tried growing apples a times but always killed em. Right now I have a tropic sweet in the ground. I'll see how it does. I had an Anna also, but that died. I may have to replant in order to get any fruit.

The Dorsett Golden should be self pollinating since the story of its origin was a single tree planted from seed in the Bahamas, and when they went to cut it down they saw it had fruit.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:34:49 PM »
I am growing low chill apples in Southern California, including Dorsett Golden. Different conditions however, lower humidity and grown in containers.

Dorsett Golden was flowering about 3-4 weeks ago. I recommend trying Anna Apple out, it is a great producer. Last year Anna Apple produced 2 crops.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »
I had three cultivars at one time.  Dorsett Golden I believe was one.  I also had Anna and Tropic Sweet.  Only one ever produced any fruit and that was only one year.  The trees did not thrive on my, occasionally flooded, muck soil and all eventually went into decline and died. Two went quickly...like in 2 years.  The third I had for the better part of a decade.....but with only one year of fruiting and the fruits being small and not very impressive, I let the space be replanted with jakfruit.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Camillo Alexis

• Pomegrove tropicals
  • Eat what you grow and grow what you eat
    • Granada St. Georges (West Indies)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU5bkcCvm-vFbvWG_LwIbmg
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »
I have various apple root stalks, I am located in the Caribbean and I've been growing apples from seeds for about 2 years.  But I would really like to get my hands on seeds of any low chill apples since getting scion wood is not an option as I don't know if they can be shipped that long and my grafting skills might not be very good.

If there is anyway that I can get some seeds I'd be grateful even if it's not true to quality fruit just a low chill fruit.
Eat what you grow and grow what you eat

val

• central florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »
 I kill them too. I have two hanging onbut they look horrible.

Harry I'm on very high dry sand. they were never very happy at my place but one night I left a sprinkler on all night. Soon after that they died. I wonder if that's what happened. I have a friend and he waters has a couple of times a week and it looks absolutely gorgeous. So I'm not sure if mine were too dry and then 12 hours of water killed them.II really like to try again someone help.

congratulations Adiel. It looks gorgeous

Cool! I've tried growing apples a times but always killed em. Right now I have a tropic sweet in the ground. I'll see how it does. I had an Anna also, but that died. I may have to replant in order to get any fruit.

The Dorsett Golden should be self pollinating since the story of its origin was a single tree planted from seed in the Bahamas, and when they went to cut it down they saw it had fruit.

natsgarden123

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »
Congrats- hope it tastes as good as it looks :)

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 02:22:29 PM »

I have an Anna and this Dorsett planted a year ago in Central Florida Zone 9b.  This is the first apple I have seen developing.  Most of the year this area is dry, but in the autumn the ground water table rises to the surface, so I mound my trees.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 06:12:41 PM »
My Dorsett apple is LOADED with sweet apples right now.  Great tree.
Brad Spaugh

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »

Exactly I think the reason why some people think they're not it's just because there's a lot of website saying you need to have an Anna or some other Apple tree most likely just to make another quick sale .
I did hear about other self-pollinating apples but I know it's not the norm .

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 04:49:51 AM »
Have you ever heard of HrMn 99 ? (in India below 3000 feet)

While I was looking up about another (forum)  post of a India Apple grower I saw it
I saw this, but the Himalayan Mountains slipped my mind
 so His apples were in the mountains this is not.

(a sample but I am not copy /pasting the whole thing
sorry the adds  are in the way so I cannot)
(edit I know your altitude is still low )

Do the tree leaves stay on all year ?
Do the people that grow apples remove these every year to try to force dormancy?
I have read people that grow grapes in the tropics ON Large scale
 use Urea (urine) to defoliate grapes to bring the grapes to a rest for the next crop.
 anyone  tried ? (if leaves stay evergreen . all winter or do they do not?

https://www.thebetterindia.com/235926/farmer-innovation-earns-new-apple-grow-south-india-breed-graft-variety-grow-anywhere-ros174/

Himachal Pradesh: A 65 YO farmer from Bilaspur has created an apple variety that can grow anywhere, even in tropical weather.

In what is seen as a groundbreaking development, farmers across many states in India are successfully growing a cultivar of apples called HRMN 99. The variety, which can be grown in low altitudes (1,800 feet above sea level), has been developed by Hariman Sharma, a 65-year-old farmer from Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh. Apple are usually cultivated at a minimum of 5,000 feet above sea level.

“After working as a labourer in other farms for many years. In 1998, I started nurturing mango orchards and began vegetable cultivation. In 1999, I purchased apple seeds from another farmer in the district and planted them. I did not have any hopes that it would grow, but I observed a small apple seedling that had sprouted. I nurtured that seedling with the little knowledge I gained from my farming experience, and let it grow,” says Hariman.

In two years, the tree started fruiting, but the fruits were small in size. To improve the quality of the apple, he grafted a stem from the apple tree with a plum tree.

“Owing to the non-availability of apple trees, I grafted it on a plum tree. It was successful, and the fruit quality was much better. They were the size of regular apples, and in an earth-shade colour with red tinges on the side. Soon, I grafted some more trees, and created a mini orchard with 8 trees. Till date, these trees continue to bear fruits, and provide a yield of 1 quintal every season which is usually in June. ” he says.

Also I know some places spray Urine (or Urea) in strong doses
to de foliate leaves to bring the apples tree’s to being dormant
not really gross as Cow urine (and milk) has been used to control pests disease on leaves for a long time
besides it’d be after the plant fruited…

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 04:57:06 AM by Francis_Eric »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 05:11:19 AM »
I was wondering if one could graft onto Photina or Firethorn
I looked at Florida Native Plant society  ,
 and there is a Southern Crab in the Northern part.

(I just searched the rose family rosaceae--(ros -ace-ae)
it has 3 pages of plants listed.

https://www.fnps.org/plant/malus-angustifolia